Side sleep positioner

strongminded

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone used a sleep positioner to position baby on their side to sleep? My son is 8 weeks old and only sleeps well on his side otherwise he wakes up very often. During the day time i put him on his side to sleep and supervise him throughout to make sure he doesnt roll on to his tummy.

I swaddle him at night time and he sleeps on his back in his cot. However he will soon start turning around so won't be swaddling him much longer. My worry is he wont sleep well on his back once i stop swaddling him unless he is on his side.

I saw a sleep positioner online which helps babies stay on their side but has mixed reviews. Not sure what to do.

Any advice.

This is the one i want to get

http://www.samueljohnston.com/Mobil...61c82126f3152054d6080c72b8414b0f&PartnerID=36

The item seems to be more for keeping them on their back than the side...
I'm sorry I can't advise on the product, but I have a 5mo who has always preferred sleeping on her side! I always let her fall asleep like that and, when she was younger, I'd wait until she was fully asleep and then gently roll her onto her back. I never used anything to prop her, but I sort of arranged her arms and legs as if she was in the recovery position, to stop her rolling onto her belly lol
Now in her winter sleeping bags, she tends to roll onto her back from her side anyway when asleep and it doesn't bother her. I have an Angelcare sensor mat under her mattress for extra peace of mind too.
Of course, all SIDS advice says they should be put on their back to sleep, so obviously that's the best, but I can relate to having a side sleeping baby!

The item seems to be more for keeping them on their back than the side...
I'm sorry I can't advise on the product, but I have a 5mo who has always preferred sleeping on her side! I always let her fall asleep like that and, when she was younger, I'd wait until she was fully asleep and then gently roll her onto her back. I never used anything to prop her, but I sort of arranged her arms and legs as if she was in the recovery position, to stop her rolling onto her belly lol
Now in her winter sleeping bags, she tends to roll onto her back from her side anyway when asleep and it doesn't bother her. I have an Angelcare sensor mat under her mattress for extra peace of mind too.
Of course, all SIDS advice says they should be put on their back to sleep, so obviously that's the best, but I can relate to having a side sleeping baby!

Hi

I tried putting him in a sleep bag yesterday and laid him on his back he hated it and woke up.

Hi, I'm a first time mum too so can only really give you the benefit of my limited experience! My boy went through a horrendous couple of months when he gutsy learnt to roll over as he really wanted to sleep on his tummy but obviously being only 4 to 5 months at the time I couldn't really let him. I had to take him into my bed on memory foam (really not suppose to do that! ) as he was comfy on his back like that. Then at 6 months when I could see he was strong enough to control his rolling I put him in his cot next to my bed. For the first couple of nights I had to let him fall asleep on his side with a pillow propped behind him. When I went to sleep I would take the pillow away and let him find his own position. You probably don't want to hear this but it took a further month of him waking up every time he rolled onto his back before he was physically capable of rolling into any position he liked and sleeping soundly. In short I'm afraid once there passed the swaddling stage you just have to put up with some poor sleep until they are strong enough to sort it out for themselves. I never did find a product i thought was a safe way to position him. Hope it's not a long phase for you, I'm only just starting to feel human again after 9 months of sleep deprivation!

Jacob has slept on his side since birth. He is swaddled, positioned on a babymoov cosydream with a foam wedge under the mattress for his reflux and has a snuza hero monitor clipped onto his nappy. He is in a snuz pod crib attached to my bed and has just started rolling onto his back the past week or so during the night. The way his arms are positioned inside his swaddle stop him from rolling onto his tummy.

http://www.babymoov.co.uk/baby-cush...6143050.html?gclid=COzlmIP9ztACFQEz0wodYHYOTA

https://www.shop4toys.com/baby-monitors/snuza-hero?gclid=CNqtocj9ztACFdUaGwodcAcASQ

Jacob has slept on his side since birth. He is swaddled, positioned on a babymoov cosydream with a foam wedge under the mattress for his reflux and has a snuza hero monitor clipped onto his nappy. He is in a snuz pod crib attached to my bed and has just started rolling onto his back the past week or so during the night. The way his arms are positioned inside his swaddle stop him from rolling onto his tummy.

http://www.babymoov.co.uk/baby-cush...6143050.html?gclid=COzlmIP9ztACFQEz0wodYHYOTA

https://www.shop4toys.com/baby-monitors/snuza-hero?gclid=CNqtocj9ztACFdUaGwodcAcASQ

Thats what i think i need for my son. I also have his mattress inclined for his reflux. How do.you position him ln the babymoov sideways? I would really like to know how to.do it as i feel this is how my son will settle best.

Also how do.you position his arms.in the swaddle. By his sides?

For swaddling, the left arm goes across his body then the left side of the blanket goes over and tucked under his back, then the right arm goes over the blanket across his body and the blanket comes over and wrapped around to his back .... there's no escaping my swaddle lol he's then just put down on his side in the positioner with the bottom part at his bottom.
I'll try and get some pictures for you to show you what I do when I'm settling him tonight. He sleeps a wee dream in his crib but I don't use it during the day so that he knows the difference between night and day x

For swaddling, the left arm goes across his body then the left side of the blanket goes over and tucked under his back, then the right arm goes over the blanket across his body and the blanket comes over and wrapped around to his back .... there's no escaping my swaddle lol he's then just put down on his side in the positioner with the bottom part at his bottom.
I'll try and get some pictures for you to show you what I do when I'm settling him tonight. He sleeps a wee dream in his crib but I don't use it during the day so that he knows the difference between night and day x

Thanks scn yeh pictures will really help. So i can try it as he really really struggles to settle at night and although he is very sleepy he keeps on waking up like he is uncomfortable

I've put the pics together cos I can't post more than one pic to a post but if you can't see them great then I'll post them individually, just let me know. Hope it helps xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 12
I've put the pics together cos I can't post more than one pic to a post but if you can't see them great then I'll post them individually, just let me know. Hope it helps xx

Hi scn thanks i see them just fine. Its brilliant how baby can securely position themselves sideways. Thanks so much for this. How many months until can you use the babymoov positioner?

Gorgeous baby x x

Last edited:
You can swaddle and use the positioner until they can roll onto their own tummies and back again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back