Sicky baby

Lolly85x

Reaction score
I have FF my baby since he was 5days old. We started on SMA gold, and that was fine. Then we tried Aptimil as the HV made a snide comment about SMA, but he started being sick on that when he was 13 days old. So we switched back to SMA gold. He doesn't have any toilet troubles. Plenty wet nappies and a dirty one every other day. He's in a great routine. Sleeping well at night. My worry is how sick he is. All day he brings up milk. From straight after his feed he is usually sick quite alot, then just spits up more throughout the day. He always has to wear a bib. I know some babies are sick, but I just wonder how much is normal? It's not his full feed. And he's not in pain. I was wondering if I changed milk would it help? Or am I risking him getting constipated or colic if I change?xxx

Possibly reflux? My lo was bad for throwing up and he got gaviscon which was good x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I kind of thought that, but he's in no pain and it doesn't bother him. Might try a bit of gaviscon, do you buy baby stuff?x

I've just changed to cow and gate anti reflux milk as Kaiden was the same, he's just had his first bottle of it and no sick as of yet xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I kind of thought that, but he's in no pain and it doesn't bother him. Might try a bit of gaviscon, do you buy baby stuff?x

He got prescribed infant gaviscon by the gp. as far as I know no one will sell it to you for an infant under 1 year but he was on it from 8 weeks x

I was prescribed gaviscon but I find it a faff so am giving the anti reflux milk a go. Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iv told HV about it, and she just shrugs her shoulders and says babies are sick. But it's just constant all day... :( xxx

Get a 2nd opinion. Everyone shrugged their shoulders at me for 16 weeks and acted like I was a neurotic mother until they conceded that yes, lo does in fact have a dairy allergy :wall:

I will make an appt for the doctor then, see what she says. It's the only thing he has an issue with. I thought reflux was more than just being sick.x

We were prescribed baby gaviscon before Toby was given his lactose free milk, but he wouldn't take it as it made his milk really bitter.
Sorry to ask what might be a silly question, but I suppose you've tried keeping him upright for at least half an hour after a feed? Toby possets a lot but this helps loads.

I also keep him out if his bouncer during this time too and carry him round in my baby carrier or sit with him on my knee for a bit then carry him round as he won't sit still :) xx

Yeah, iv tried that. But it's basically as soon as you sit him up to wind him up comes his sick. He can just be sitting there and it comes up, then that's it throughout the day.
I just thought if he had reflux he would have more symptoms. He doesn't cry because of it, and has been sitting smiling then he's sick, it doesn't bother him. Iv tried ready made milk, it doesn't make a difference. He doesn't cry in pain or turn away from his bottles...
I was wondering if I should try him on the SMA reflux milk? Or maybe give cow and gate a shot. Aptimil is far too watery xxx

It's prob worth a shot trying the different milk, you'd probably need to give it a little while to see if it makes a difference.

What size teats are you using? If you are using variflow it could be that the milk is hitting his tummy too quickly causing him to be sick. I had this with Toby, came out his nose and everything, so went back down to the size 1 teats.

I don't know a lot about reflux, but if its the silent type he might not have any other symptoms.

Poor little man though but good that its not bothering him.
Xxx

We're using size 2 teats, I went back to 1 and he was still sick, and got fed up and never finished his bottle. So went back to 2s. He was sick on stage 1s before I changed to. I think I will get some ready made bottles of cow and gate, see how he goes with that. He's has his 2nd set of jags on Wed I will speak to HV again and if she doesn't listen I will just tell her I am making an appt with the doctor. See what she says. I'm intersted to see his weight gain in the past 4 weeks.
Iv read about reflux and I just don't think it's as severe as what others on her have went through.xxx

Kaiden has reflux but not severe he threw up every now and again but a fair bit when he did. He also pulls a face at times like a nasty taste in his mouth when he was on his back and cried quite a lot. Changed his milk yesterday to cow and gate reflux with dr brown bottles size 2 teats and touch wood so far so good :) worth a go xx

Is he putting on weight ok even with the sick ups?

I would go to your doc anyway and tell him, there's no harm in having tests done for dairy allergies and lactose intolerance, doesn't cause any bother and is a real simple test. Atleast then you can eliminate things. 8 and a half months on and I am finally being taken serious with my LO's sickness! X

My lo is an extremely sicky baby, he will throw up alot constantly doesnt bother him what so ever, spoke to my hv who said they usually dont worry until they dont gain weight or the vomit is very projectile and goes across the room, my hv's advice was to make sure baby slowly takes the first ounce then wind so there is no air trapped in babys tummy as the rest of the feed will sit ontop of it then just come back up when they burp, then to keep burping regulary during the feed, keep upright 30 mins after the feed and try not to move them around to much after, this hasnt worked for my lo so we have agreed to change him to aptimil comfort. I would definitly go to docs to get a second opinion if your concerned x

Thanks ladies. I have bought a few days worth of cow and gate stage one milk, we have HV next week, I will see what he weighs and see what she says and if I'm not happy I will tell her I will make a doctors appt. and see a doctor ASAP. He is gaining weight tho... And it's not like its all his feed. But it is an awful lot.
My SIL reccomend I try hungry baby milk, as it may be thicker... I just don't know what's best xx

Hiya Hun, speaking from experience we have Mia on the ready made formula and it's been so much better for her. It's easier to digest so gentler on their tummies.
Mia has bad reflux so wasn't gaining weight and screamed in pain. After 8 weeks of medicine and changing her food we can happily say she is so much better. We have had a pretty much sick free week!!
We ad gaviscon but found it made her sicker so she just has ranitidine and domperidone. They probably aren't too worried about your lo as he is still gaining weight and isn't in discomfort. They kept trying to tell me that some babes are just sicky babies, I only got taken seriously once her weight was affected and she started to refuse her feeds. I remember one day were she only took 6 oz all day and sicked most of it up too.
We have her on aptamil but started off with cow and gate. She will drink more and seems to like aptamil better. Just give the ready made a go. We noticed a difference straight away.
Any questions just ask xx

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the hungry baby milk. They do milk specially for reflux and regurgitation but Mia still brought that up. Ready made has been the best but every baby is different x

Oh gosh... Poor Mia and you. Stories like this makes me relise how lucky I am. Whatever it is, it's not affecting him. He's happy and growing. Sometimes his sick is just pure milk straight back up. Sometimes it's like cottage cheese. Sometimes it's flemy. But he never refuses a bottle. Never wriggles in pain. At 9 weeks he was 12lbs 12oz. But had only put on 5oz in 2weeks. He gets weighted next Wed. I will ask her. I'm just worried I change milk and he ends up with colic or constipated and in pain. He takes 6oz every 4 hours, but I think he brings at least an ounce up per feed xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back