Sickness when brushing my teeth...

zoe82

Reaction score
Any advice on preventing this would be welcome, the only time I am properly sick is morning and evening when brushing my teeth, which obviously is horrible as I'm not getting my teeth as clean as I'd like!! I've changed my toothpaste, and am making sure I use an electric brush as well as a decent mouthwash which will hopefully help.

Also it's the obvious thing of hardly ever having any food left in my system, so I'm hoping the baby is still getting everything he/she needs! :puke:

Is it because of your gag reflex, or is it just the brushing in general or taste of toothpaste that causes it?
I used to be sick in my 1st tri because I'd brush too far, cause my gag reflex to kick in then puke :( oh the joys!

No, I don't think so. I just get about 30 seconds in, and it starts, not even much gagging, just sickness! Horrible!!

Ha Ha!!!I think they do!! Think I'll just have to hope it wears off in Tri 2!:lol:

I still have this now - it's the stupid mint!

I used to gag when brushing teeth all through tri 1. Made it really difficult. Now thankfully this has worn off. Hope it wears off for you too. x

Have you tried leaving it a bit longer before you brush your teeth?? or making sure you've had something to eat and letting it settle a wee bit before you brush??

xxx

I used to get this and sometimes still do now - sounds a bit weird but I found not thinking I was brushing my teeth worked, but also when I knew I was about to be sick I'd take the brush out of my mouth and take a few deep breaths.
X

I get this when spitting. It's almost like I nearly swallow the toothpaste when I go to spit it out and then that gets me going! Only advice I have is take your time. X

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm not alone, and that there's not much I can do. I left it longer today between breakfast and brushing, but only because it's the weekend, and I had the time, and it seemed ok, now just need to work it around work mornings and just hope it stops soon!

Could you use something else to freshen your breath in the morning. I have a toothpaste phobia - i really hate the stuff being in my mouth - i use mints or mouth wash in the morning then brush my teeth later on in the day. My dentist reackons as long as you brush them it doesnt matter when - it doesnt have to be first thing in the morning. xxx

I had this badly in the 1st tri, I found that if I didn't let the saliva build up in my mouth - ie constant spitting out after a couple of brushes stopped it as it was the gag reflex that made me sick. I still get it occasionally now but normally if I forget what I am doing and let it build up again.

I had it in the first trimester, but it was usually when brushing my tongue as my toothbrush has a tongue brush part, and this used to make me gag. Not happened for a good few weeks now though! x

Still happening for me. Then again I have the worse gag reflex ever always have. Have to hum at the dentists so I don't barf there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back