Sickness Phobia

linspins105

Reaction score
Have been TTC for a few months but feel my fear of being sick is stopping me from becoming pregnant as when I am due to ovulate I always seem to feel ill, be it stomach pain or at the moment a constant feeling of needing to pee. All of which means the last thing on my mind is having sex. Have been to the doctor regarding this but she cannot find anything physically wrong and I am beginning to feel its in my head as I am so worried about when I get pregnant how to cope with morning sickness.

I have asked the doctor and her only advice is that I may not get morning sickness but I am so worried about it that I will probably talk myself into it anyway.

Has anyone else felt like this? If so how do you cope with it, was it as bad as you thought it would be?

My main worries are how to cope at work if I do get morning sickness - especially now as I work with 4 men.

I am now nearly 36 and feel that I can't afford to waste months putting it off just because of feeling sick.

Linspins105

Theres at least one pregnant member on here with the same fear _ I can't remember who but hopefully she'll see this

I have a fear of being sick and being seen - can't have anyone even outside the door - I've got to say that not everyone is sick - nauseous maybe but not sick

- but this is similar to having needle phobia and pregnancy - the only thing you have to do is decide is which is more important to you. I was petrified of needles (run away screaming petrified :oops: ) until I was pregnant and at that point it just faded away as I knew it was for a reason, pregnancy nausea is caused by high levels of hormones - hormones that are keeping your LO safe and making sure your body is able to carry a pregnancy. The time that you are nauseous for is such a short time in the pregnancy and the rest of your life being a mum :hug:

as for the men - they do know that women get pregnant y'know :wink: - and that pregnant women can get nausea - I wouldn't give yourself another worry thinking about them

I'm not sure I can offer you any advice on how to overcome your fear.

It's true you might not even be sick, morning sickness can mean nausea to a huge proportion of women. I was never physically sick in my first pg.

I had constant nausea 24x7 but I just made sure I ate little and often. I always snack on fruit and nuts etc between meals anyway so at work I didn't raise any suspicions. I found ginger biscuits worked wonders for me to keep it at bay.

It's such a shame that you may be worrying uneccassarily.

I didn't tell people at work until I was 14 weeks, nobody suspected anything.

Try not to worry, I know it's easier said than done.

hey hun, im like you, i hate being sick i really do i avoid some foods for fear of food poising! I had my son and i felt sick up to 12 weeks i was sick once but that was after being to dentist! I think it depends on the person hun some people are more sickly than others i get lots of tum bugs becase of my work etc but not sick with them im sure i just convince myself out of being sick! Its well worth it when they are here!!! Im TTC for number 2 so it cant be that bad eh! xx

hi chick , ive the biggest fear of sick , i panic attack even when someone else is being sick im that bad.

and , i had morning sickness untill 20 weeks , yes some days it was hard and i didnt go work , or i finished early , the actually act of being sick actually become easier the more u accepted that if u were gonna be sick there was no stopping it :( ,

at 13 weeks i was put on anti sickness which helped a bit , take these occasional now when i feel a bit sicky .

as for feeling ill around ovulation , i actualyl use to call it my 2nd period , ovulating actually hurt ! and gave me all the symtoms my period did inc feeling sick , bloated and the runs :oops: The night we concieved , we were in a tent just hvaing fun :wink: and this was nearly 2 years in to ttc too

dont give up hun , and try not worry about the what if's . i now worried i wont cope with the baby being sick :wall: no doubt after a few times of that ill be cured of that too !

You know what just occurred to me - why don't you do a poll in "ask a mum" and find out who was actually sick and who just had nausea? I was only sick once - before I knew I was pregnant and had been drinking.

You may find it's less women than you think who are actually sick :D

Thanks for all your comments, has helped a bit to reassure me that hopefully it won't be as bad as I think - which in general most things when you actually do them aren't - ie. going to the dentist! Have just got to try to get this into subconscious now! :doh:

How do people cope with the feeling ill at work (if I should) and work not knowing until after three months?

Have been thinking about hypnotherapy to help stop me panicking as soon as I start to feel sick - has anyone tried this? and if so did it work?

i had to tell work at 6 weeks , one cos i was ill , two the work i do envloved manual lifting etc

i drive alot for work , so just made sure u had clean top in my van , and bags if i was sick ( doggy doo bags are great lol ) i would have found it alot easier being ill at work if i had access to a loo all the time , but i dont and that was one of the main things i paniced about when sick , i could hardly pull over in london to be ill !

and u know the best thing i started to do , when panic set in , and you think u could be sick not just feel , go to the loo , u will prob be sick but means the panic attack doesnt last so long as u actually being sick , and being sick actually temporally makes u feel better ,

i soon learned i felt worse putting off being sick then not and just being sick

and your talking to someone who gave up alchol cos it makes u sick and i didnt want to be sick !

that the reason I don't drink, just in case i'm sick - if I'm feelng daring I may have had one but never more than two and now I much prefer an OJ or lemonade.

I too usually go most places with a dog pooh bag even if i haven't got the dog with me.

has anyone tried hypnotherapy for sickness phobias during pregancy, if so did it work - would you recommend it?

i too have a sick phobia!!!! i absolutely hate being sick, and try anything to stop it!

im starting to feel really sick now, not been sick yet tho which is good! hopefully i wont be sick, just feel rank!!!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gzmndrea
Back