Sickle Cell trait/anemia

KikoDinoGirl

Reaction score
Edited to delete personal information regarding health

Last edited:
I haven't had any bloods or anything done yet. I feel quite naive at the prospect of what could come back.
:oops:
Is there stuff I should know before I have the bloods done?
I read your post yesterday but just didn't know what to say, sorry. :doh: :hug:
xx

If you have the trait, and your husband doesn't, then no problems - the baby might get the trait, but that won't affect them. If your husband also has the trait, the I think there is a small risk of the baby having it. But if that happens you will be referred to the Sickle Cell & Thalaseamia Centre for proper counselling on risk and effects.

This is a link to the Dept of Health website, and it has the list of publications so you can have a read of them. http://www.sickleandthal.org.uk/publications.htm

Good luck!

The routine bloods they take are to test your blood group and check for unusual antibodies, a full blood count, test for sickle cell & thalessemia which are genetic disorders (these might not be done routinely where you live - it depends on the cultural mix of the local community), and an infection screen - syphillis, hepititis B, rubella and HIV. You can decline any of the tests but it is worth getting them done cos if you have got one of the infections, they can treat it in pregnancy and lessen the impact on the baby. Some areas also do a random blood sugar as well.

I might as well out myself. I am a community midwife...... I am also a pregnant woman having my first baby, and these boards have been great - although I'm knowledgeable on all the technical stuff, and I hope I am supportive of the women in my care, I hadn't before appreciated how hard these first few months are when you have very little contact and support from any health care professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back