Sicked up everything today

VickyBunny

Reaction score
My 5 week old has barely been able to keep anything down today. He's thrown up 4 whole feeds - pretty much projectile vomited. After throwing the last one he went all sleepy so I took him to A&E. They did a blood sugar test and took a urine sample. He woke up and was his usual alert self. His temp was fine (though he feels hot to touch so I don't understand that) and the tests were all fine. The doctor said we were feeding him too much and a baby his weight (just over 9lbs) should be taking around 20oz a day. Well, he takes more than this (he has a number of 6oz feeds and a few 3oz ones) but that's because he's hungry for it. He's been taking that much feed for just over a week now and my community midwife and the hospital said to increase his feeds on demand if he is still hungry. But the doctor today said not to and that we need to cut back. I don't know what to do. I can't just let him go hungry! What if the sick today is due to something else? He's never had a problem with sick before. He takes the amount he wants from the bottle and stops when he's full. He does burps and little sicks if he's taken too much but today has been clothes-drenching vomit.

Last edited:
I've only just seen this!

Ignore the docs! Sounds like LO has reflux

Go to GP - ask for gaviscon or some reflux meds

Alittle bit of spit up is normal but lots of sick isn't

Inbox me if you need any more advice! I've been through hell and back with my sons reflux x

And I'm sorry 76 people viewed it and no one took the time to reply x

My 5-week old has days where he throws up more sick than is normal and it's soaked his clothes and stuff and I've been reading online and also concluded it must be reflux. It's particularly bad if he's got hiccups as they force more sick up than usual. He's a big baby (was 11lb 7 at a month old) and drinks a lot but I've no idea how much as I am breast feeding on demand. I asked the HV last time I visited the surgery and she said not to worry too much as it can be normal for them to be this sick sometimes as long as it's not like projectile several feet across the room or something but I think I will go to docs for meds as it isn't nice for him. Both my cousins had reflux really, really bad as babies, so much so that one of them ended up in hospital being observed for a night as she was losing weight. They never actually did anything much at the hospital, just prescribed Gaviscon I think and it was just something they had to grow out of.

I've only recently seen this.
May not help, and hopefully you have this sorted now.
However...is baby teething? My DD2 was sooo sick when she was teething. Projectile, couldn't believe how much.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back