Should we bother with a bumbo?

J_Anne

Reaction score
My daughter is nearly 15 weeks old, the last few days when she's been in her bouncy chair she keeps pulling herself forward as if to try and sit up. She loves "sitting up" on your knee and has very good head control. She clearly wants to be more upright so it sounds as though she would love it in a bumbo I'm just concerned - do they help or hinder sitting unaided? Do babies become reliant in it rather than strengthen their own muscles? It's then lead me onto looking at highchairs, were obviously a long way off weaning (want to do BLW) so could I just get a highchair earlier for her to sit up in? Thanks in advance!x

I'd get a plainest instead! It's been a great success with Aaron and allows him to practice sittin safely

Our Bumbo was lent to us, we still use it occasionally now as James isn't sitting yet (he can sit but chooses not to!!)

xxxxxxx

We have the mamas and papas snug, don't really use it at home but its invaluable for when we go out to eat when he was too small for the standard high chairs at restaurants. Now we take it to relatives houses so he can eat there xxx

We bought one but are now getting rid of it as my lo through herself out of it head first into the ground!! Everytime I've ever put her in it she tries to escape so not for us! X

I'd recommend the M&P snug. My little girls legs are really chubby. She tried a bumbo which didn't fit her and a snug was great and is still great now! Plus the insert (green bit in the photo) comes out so they can use it until they are 2-3. They are also cheaper than bumbos and the tray is included in the price.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372441837.103873.jpgwhen we first got it at 4 moths old

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372441874.777882.jpg
The other day

Harry wasn't keen on his bumbo - found it too restrictive. I know some people who's babies loved them though so I guess it depends xx

My lo just tried to launch herself out of her bumbo almost every time we used it!! I gave up and sold it recently as it wasn't getting used.

I'd recommend the M&P snug. My little girls legs are really chubby. She tried a bumbo which didn't fit her and a snug was great and is still great now! Plus the insert (green bit in the photo) comes out so they can use it until they are 2-3. They are also cheaper than bumbos and the tray is included in the price.

View attachment 39350when we first got it at 4 moths old

View attachment 39351
The other day

Awww she's beautiful! I did look at the snug online actually, I think I'd go for that if I do get something.

Tweety-you've just reminded me my cousin has leant us playnest! I'll get that out tomorrow. I suppose even if she doesn't use it at home like kitty said we can take it to other people's houses.

Thanks ladies, an excuse to go shopping this weekend!x

I'm in 2 minds whether its good or not. Yes my lo loved it and as she was skinny she used it for ehem, 6 months but she was a little late sitting without cushions - she didn't do that with confidence until 6.5-7months, so it may have been the bumbo - who knows! I didn't know about the snug, but if you are going to buy either try and get them secondhand, they are completly wipable.

I wouldn't bother with a bumbo. Ethan has chubby legs so it was a squeeze to get him in it at 4 months old! He wasn't overly keen on it as he's throw himself out and try his best to escape. Paid £40 for it, used it a handful of times and sold it on (for next to nothing!) as he was sitting pretty much unaided at 5 months and very stable at 6 months old. I've heard good things about the m&p snug though, so may be worth looking into that one instead? Xx

Same as Spammy here - my LO's legs were too chunky for the Bumbo, but the M&P Snug was great. He's now 10 months and still sits in it for breakfast and snacks!

I borrowed a friends one for Jack but he couldn't use it as he was too skinny, he twisted and slid about in it and it got a bit dangerous in the end. I won one off of ebay for a tenner for Harry and he loves sitting in it. He's chubby so fits snuggly into it and he cries when we take him out of it lol. Like someone said, they'll either like it or won't which is why i got one from ebay and didn't pay full price x

Also another snug fan
I use it for my girl and also my 20 month nephew who has very fat little thighs bless him. I just take the insert out too. We got the activity tray too and its great for keeping her entertained. Xx

tapatalking

We have one and love it. My sister gave me it though I wouldn't have gone and bought one x

Spencer David Wilcockson 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

I had one and it was great! She's 1 soon and still uses it occasionally but around 7 months and the first stages of weaning it was brilliant as the high chair felt a bit big!

We still use our snug and my lo is now 25 months! Pretty good value for money I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back