should i push her?

trixipaws

Reaction score
melissa is fussy with food (like her mummy lol!)

she loves baby rice, she loves banana-rice pudding, she loves apple & banana, she likes pears and she loves my mum's home-made vegetable soup.

but other things iv tried her with she seems to hate with varying degrees-
broccoli & cauli gets spat out, banana & peach gets spat out,
the worst ones are carrot & potato, mixed veg jars and mango & banana- she grimaces, shudders, and even retches :shock: she looks like shes gonna be sick! :(

my HV said keep trying her as babies need to try something 40 times before they decide whether they like it. but some things she liked straight away, and it feels almost like child abuse when she looks like she gonna barf to make her have more.

but what do i do? children generally dont like healthy food and do like sweets and fat but i cant only give her the sweets and fat coz that IS child abuse!?! but isnt it bad to make her heave and retch?

what do y'all think

dont force her, hun. Then mealtimes become a real nightmare. I am sorry that Millie is picky, it isnt easy with a LO that wont eat a lot of things, you just have to keep trying. If she spits s/thing out, dont force it, try something different. Maybe she doesnt like savoury very much - incidentally, broccoli and cauliflower are really strong flavours, a lot of kids dont like em much. What about mashed sweet potato, sweet corn, peas? I dont know, just suggesting... :roll:
Anpther thing is that maybe the problem is texture, what about a piece of boiled carrot, potato. She will make a royal mess of it, that I can promise, but might enjoy it better. Also grilled or boiled chicken wont hurt her. She may just prefer finger foods. A lot of babies do. Anais is only about two weeks younger and she is really into holding things and chewing on them herself.

You could, of course try her on pizza crust, like i did - read this link :rotfl: :rotfl:

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=56049

Let us know how she is doing... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

I was always of the opinon that until D was 6 months nutritionzlly he didn't need it so not to force anything..

D definatley prefered sweet to savory so i made sure at least one meal a day was savory so he got used to it or mixed it with fruit puree to sweeten it up.

also maybe try mixing foods she doesn't like with foods she loves

I wouldnt force her hun, she could develop a complex with food and refuse everything you give her.

You can always hide veg in pies etc when shes a bot older, but at the moment id just give her what she likes, a good mix of savory and maybe lay off the sweet abit till she eats the sav a it more.

trixipaws said:
melissa is fussy with food (like her mummy lol!)

she loves baby rice, she loves banana-rice pudding, she loves apple & banana, she likes pears and she loves my mum's home-made vegetable soup.

but other things iv tried her with she seems to hate with varying degrees-
broccoli & cauli gets spat out, banana & peach gets spat out,
the worst ones are carrot & potato, mixed veg jars and mango & banana- she grimaces, shudders, and even retches :shock: she looks like shes gonna be sick! :(

my HV said keep trying her as babies need to try something 40 times before they decide whether they like it. but some things she liked straight away, and it feels almost like child abuse when she looks like she gonna barf to make her have more.

but what do i do? children generally dont like healthy food and do like sweets and fat but i cant only give her the sweets and fat coz that IS child abuse!?! but isnt it bad to make her heave and retch?

what do y'all think

Keep trying her on everything. Just a little at a time and then 'fill' her up with stuff she likes. Dan would not eat anything at first, it took me quite a while and a lot of wasted food, but I am chuffed to say he will eat anything now. Spinach, fish, broccoli, carrots anything! He only wanted sweet things so I tricked him by giving him sweet savory things, i.e pork and apple. And slowly he started to eat loads of different things. I would give him a little bit, he would spit and gag but I would keep going. After it was clear he didn't want it, I would give him something he liked as to fill him up. Over time though he slowly started eating everything. I started with jars as it was easier to try him on different things but now I cook all his food. Good luck hun :hug:

try her with sweet potato, I ccok them in the oven and then mash it with Matildas milk, she has these mixed with all sort of things like carrots or apples or pears etc. I tried her with normal potato and carrot and she wouldnt eat it so I now mix it with the sweet potato.

keep trying and try mixing a little baby rice in with the potato mixtues or brocalli mixtures - it calms the flavor down for their palet

thanx 4 all ur replies! ill just keep trying, and ill try mixing like some of u said. tried the banana & peach again and she likes it now. shes not so keep on cow&gate sweet potato bake, but she didnt retch!
she LOVES banana rice pudding tho shes had 2 jars today! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back