Should I have another?? Concerns.

Eaw123

Reaction score
Hello all,
I had my first back in April 2016, text book pregnant and labour until he came out and didn't breath, resulted in cooling and a 2 week stay in nicu. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but he swabbed positive for group b strep. He's absolutely fine now, no brain damage and no ill affects for being without oxygen. IF I decided I wanted another id be high risk this time. But I can't make up my mind. I've kept all my sons baby stuff in the loft but tell everyone I'm not having another, and I don't think I do want another but I think it's because I'd be high risk but more than that I'm petrified of the actual pain of giving birth again, I didn't cope well at all. Also I'm worried if the next was born not breathing and again had to be cooled etc would we be as lucky to come out the other side unscathed. My son is fine as I said but what if we weren't so lucky next time round? I feel like I should just count my blessings and stick with what we have. Also it upsets me that he might be an only child but we could give him a great life he of was just the only one. I'm not on the pill, we use condoms and I'm worried that an "accident" might happen and this may sound silly but I wouldn't want it to be an accident I'd like for it to planned like my son. Hormone contraception doesn't suit me, I've thought about the coil, but given my self til this time next year to make up my mind on having another or not.
Sorry if it's long winded and I'm sounding silly or strange for my reasonings

Awww hugs. It sounds as if you are scared because of your experience of labour and afterwards..I can't imagine how traumatic it must of been for all of you :(. Did you have the option to discuss with the hospital afterwards like a debrief to go over your labour? xxx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Could you have a chat with a midwife or consultant to discuss your concerns? If they would treat the pregnancy as high risk second time round that might actually be more reassuring for you because they will keep a close eye on everything and might intervene sooner....

Yes has full investigation in the labour and birth and no one knew what had happened and put it down to "just one of those things"
They did say if I was to have another again I'd be classed as high risk and c-sec maybe the option. Which I don't want to happen. Another thing I seen on my notes at the gp was of have to go on antibiotics because of the group 1 strep.

Hiya, unfortunately these things to sometimes just happen, without any rational explanation and I'm sorry you were subjected to that experience.
The likely reason that you'd be considered 'high risk' next time is because of the group B strep, so you'd (in some trusts) be offered antibiotics in labour routinely.
It's the sort of think your midwife would ask you about when you book in for a new pregnancy, should you decide to go ahead.
Concerning the labour aspect, you could opt for an earlier epidural during labour? As a general rule, subsequent labours tend to be quicker than the first if that helps. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back