Should I be raspberry leafing it now?

kittykitchn

Reaction score
Time has just snuck up on me. Should I consider drinking/taking raspberry leaf tea and capsules? Should I talk to my midwife about it first?
I understand the benefits, but perhaps not the downsides so much. I'm still leaking and getting pains, so don't want to cause any further mishaps with bringing on labour!

Giving that you have been having issues I wouldnt. It is supposed to ripen your cervix and help prepare your muscles for labour by stimulating them, or something like that. That is fine if things are going well and your body knows when to go into labour for real but seeing as you have possibly had symptoms of early labour I think it might be a bad idea as your body doesnt really want any extra preparation yet. Maybe wait until you are 40 weeks, or at least 37. I found it gave me very strong BH contractions when I took it with my 1st. I stopped taking it for a few days because of that.

Last edited:
Im starting today had it in my cupboard for a week. My hubby just asked if he needs to put milk on it.

I've read conflicting things... some say 32 wks, some say 36. I have some sat there waiting too, maybe I'll go for 34 weeks and split the difference!
I'd be wary of it for yourself kitty, what with the problems you've had, but maybe quiz your mw about it? Seeing mine on wed (whichever one turns up - I've seen a different one every time!), so I'll be asking her about it...

Last edited:
I started from 34wks. But ive not have any issues or hosp stays in either of my pregnancies. (Did stop for 2 wks as he turned breech but thankfully hes now back head down so im allowed to take it again)

When is your next MW app? Might be worth asking what she advises just because of the leaky waters etc. X

Last edited:
With RLT capsules they strengthen your uterus ready for contractions (speedy labour), Evening primrose oil capsules are what ripen the cervix. I took them both aggressively from 32 weeks as I knew I was getting a sweep at 36 weeks if I my cervix was favourable. I needed it to be as I was being induced at 38 weeks should I go over 37 weeks. I took 5 Holland & Barrett RLT Capsules a day from 32 weeks & 1500mg of Evening primrose 3 capsules of 500mg. They say you can take EPO orally or insert like a pessary as it works like a natural prostaglandin. I had my sweep at 36 weeks and was 1cm dilated which meant they could do it. Hurrah and my labour was fast and intense (though I have Hypermobility and a quick labour is known for this condition which I didn't know until afterwards).

MW may well warn you to not take anything that intervenes with a natural labour...... x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back