Shortness of breath and fast heart rate?

BKR123

Reaction score
For the last few days I've been getting really short of breath, to the point were it hurts to breath in any slower than a quick 'I've just run a mile' breath! And this evening my heart has been going really fast and I can sort feel it beating in my throat, if that makes sense :/ shoul I wait until my next mw appointment (4th June) or go to the doctors as soon as - (Thursday!) thanks :) x

Get checked out ASAP!
I had this, although not as severe as you describe, and it turned out my iron levels were really low. I was put on a strong dose of iron tablets but they didn't work for me so I had an iron infusion. It took a few hours in the hospital and within about 10 days I was feeling much much better. I had repeat bloods taken yesterday to see if my levels have improved so I'll find out at my MW appt this afternoon.
Good luck with it! :)

Just a little update...
Just got back from my MW appt (I live in Oz which explains why I post at random times :lol:) and my iron levels are looking really good. My ferritin was at level 5 before the infusion and is now at 163! Really chuffed!
Your breathlessness may not be related to low iron at all, but it is a possibility. :) Hope things improve for you soon :)

It could be a few things.
I had a glass.of coke one night and my hear rate went crazy
Also I find it hard.to get a full breath as ljng capacity is smaller now as everything gets pushed up.i get it quite.often.now.if your iron levels are low u would be feeling really tired.
Speak to mw as may out your mind at rest xx

Haha, I saw your time saw 3.25am and you'd got back from midwife, I was really confused! I'm glad yours is sorted :) ill book a doctors appointment to have my bloods checked, I've only had the done once so far and that was at my 12week scan :s

And thanks! I did have a glass of coke last night tbh, maybe my heart was doing the same! :) x

they wouldnt check my iron until 28 weeks had my bloods today... i would say maybe u were tired, or had too much caffine hunny..

They should take a full blood count when you have your glucose tolerance test-you should be due this at 28 weeks.
I know they say you'd feel really tired with low iron but I didn't feel excessively tired at all...just the normal chasing a toddler kind of tired. They didn't check my iron levels until around 34 weeks so, again, I thought my tiredness was normal. My hair was still shiny, I had colour in my cheeks so you would never have known I was anaemic.
It may well have been the glass of coke but you never know xx

i have this a lot every time i walk up the stairs ! lol aint got a clue what it could be but if its to do with me iron count then il find out on my next mw app which will be when im 32 weeks. They wont give you an iron blood test until your 28 week app with the midwife.
and they wont give you a glucose test unless theres unusual family history to do with diabetes or anything linked or if your BMI is over what it should be so iv just been told :) just tell your midwife your symptoms see what she says :) i think mine might be to do with asthma cuz iv got mild asthma and the pregnancy might not be helping it x

I get the shortness of breath a lot, even sometimes when I'm just standing up and not actually doing anything - it's like my lungs are really squashed and can't fill with enough air. I've not noticed any increase in my heart rate at all though xx

I have both these, sometimes my heart rate is so fast I just sit still and calm myself before I panic. The out of breath is quite often, just walking to the loo or get up off the sofa and I'm bit short! :-/ feel so unhealthy! Can't wait to get a bit of fitness back into me! X

Tapatalking. X

I get this from time to time, even when in just sitting down resting my heart will start beating really fast and i get breathless. I put it down to low iron as in anaemic but i could be wrong. May just be another lovely pregnancy side effect lol xx

I get this really badly too, I feel like I can't get enough air to breath properly and can feel my heart beating really fast, sometimes in my throat like you say. I don't know what it is but my iron levels and everything seem to be fine. My only concern at the moment is raised alt levels (liver function) but don't think that's related to the breathlessness xx

i have this a lot every time i walk up the stairs ! lol aint got a clue what it could be but if its to do with me iron count then il find out on my next mw app which will be when im 32 weeks. They wont give you an iron blood test until your 28 week app with the midwife.
and they wont give you a glucose test unless theres unusual family history to do with diabetes or anything linked or if your BMI is over what it should be so iv just been told :) just tell your midwife your symptoms see what she says :) i think mine might be to do with asthma cuz iv got mild asthma and the pregnancy might not be helping it x

Oh, I didn't realise that you don't get the glucose tolerance test as routine in the UK! Surely your BMI has nothing to do with it! I know quite a few very fit and healthy girls who have had gestational diabetes and the only way of knowing is to do a glucose test. Here, we are sent as routine at 28 weeks and they're supposed to test iron while you're there too. Anyway, sorry, I'm off topic now.

Hope you feel better soon xx

I get this alot, but I've been having the same problem for years as I suffer with anxiety attacks and they worsen every time I get any extra stress. So needless to say, at the moment, even without feeling like I'm overly stressed, I'm still getting the anxiety attacks. Even just laying in bed!! It might be worth just trying some relaxation techniques to see if it helps ease your symptoms.

I sometimes get out of breath when walki to sets of stairs (and at the end of the day after just one set of stairs), I don't feel my heart beating in my throat but I do have to sit down for a minute then. I however still use my (cargo)bike on a regular basis (at least 3 times a week) and have no issues with this. I think it depends on the kind of activity.

Had my iron levels checked last week at my 30 week appointment and it was stil in the range for normal (non pregnant) women, which meant it was very high for pregnancy and my mw was very happy with this. I don't use iron supplements. I didn't get my glucose checked since it was normal with my 12 week bloods and I have a normal bmi and blood pressure is fine ( also nothing that indicates I might suffer from gestanional diabetes).

Hope all is well for you :)

Last edited:
Fairy pants u sure.its.anxiety and not just that your diapram has limited.room.now.and all your organs have been squashed.im saying tbis because I have been an anxiety sufferer for years.and I.now get that anxiety feeling but my acupuncture msn said to be.midful that its not anxiety. .....xxx

It's definitely my usual anxiety issues. I've struggled with it since I was a kid and took many years to discover what it actually was. I even had a GP telling me I should just drink Gaviscon when I felt the pain and wondered why it just made me ill rather than better. I was bullied as a kid and have a very overbearing mother, so as soon as anything was up to me, I just had another attack. It wasn't til I was at uni when I was 21 and although I felt fine the attacks were happening several times every day. I ended up being referred to a Cardiologist who did all sorts of tests on my heart and such, but they all came back relatively normal and it was suggested that even thougj I felt fine, it looks more like anxiety than anything else and was taught how to deal with it. But with life long fears of pregnancy, I'm not surprised I'm feeling a little anxious, especially with only a few weeks to go and a hell of a lot going wrong lately. Eg this week - our rent is due saturday, we have just £1 more than we need to cover it and that doesn't include bills, plus we have no food & can't afford even a loaf of bread right now and we're still not getting any help from any benefits!! On top of all this, we've just discovered my hubby has a problem with his sight and now neess 2 different type of glasses - without them, he's struggling to do his job, but we have no way of paying for then!! Hence major anxiety this week!!

Oh hunny I really do empathise with u.u really are going through it . Sorry if it came across that I underestimated your.anxiety.
I hsve suffered past 10years funny enough my mu plays a role.shes a worrier and I was spoilt as a child and even at 39 my mum is always trxting.and worrying.i have had counselling over years and medication.a few years ago I got into spiritual stuff and its grounded me.
I have had to distance myself from mum in some ways.....

Sounds like u have a hell of a weigh on your shoulders. Why are u not being helped with benefits? ??
U need to eat being pregnant. ....what is your due date hunny? Xx

My mum was never one for spoiling until after I came back from uni when I was 24, because she was determined I shouldn't go, kept trying to convince me I wouldn't get in and telling me I could still back out. She spent the next 3 years trying to convince me to come home! Even going as far as emptying my "child savings" account where I'd been saving up for years to be able to get my driving licence & car!! She's been her usual self since I came back, except she would barely let me out of her sight! We're getting on better now I don't live at home, but she has her moments!
We're trying to get benefits sorted now cos hubby only works term time and over hols it's bare minimum and very unpredictable. He doesn't work enough hours to get the tax credits etc, works too many hours to get income support. And being as I haven't worked for a long time now , because company I worked for was closed down, so I was starting my own business so I could do something with my degree, then I dislocated my knee very badly and spent a year off my feet in physio before they decided physio wasn't working when it dislocated again and then had surgery and spent a couple of months recovering, but didn't get any help the whole time cos I'd been at uni all that time! Got the the point my parents couldn't afford to keep me any longer so I had to move out. Then discovered we're expecting and it's got worse from there! Just have to hope we can get some sort of help from somewhere soon!!
Due date is 29th June - 4weeks + 1 day left!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back