Shelling Pea 03/12/11

Princess81

Reaction score
Naughty of me to leave it this long to write this up :blush: but since little man's arrival it has been pretty non-stop in this house!

It's hard to know where to begin, as he first tried to make his appearance on 18t October but it was medically stopped and I think we'll leave that one there! This labour left me at 2cm dilated for the remainder of my pregnancy.

The second attempt was 26 November when I started contracing again but this time it stopped on it's own and left me at 3cm and in pretty much slow labour for a week. I was getting maybe 15 mild contractions per day which were a bit stronger than braxton hicks but still nothing to complain about really and I had been continually losing plug since about 24th November which I found pretty grim.

So after the 2nd labour false alarm had happened I was pretty hacked off and determined that I would not be going to hospital until I was ready to push the baby out!

Turns out it didn't quite happen that way though. On 2nd December at about 03.00 in the morning I was woken by strongish period pains. I got up to go to the loo (for about the 20th time that night) and I had started to bleed quite a lot and a blood clot came away and landed in the loo which freaked me out. I phoned the maternity ward and was told to come in. O/h was at work in Scotland so I drove myself in and had about 4 contractions on the way which didn't stop me from driving but did affect my lane discipline on a roundabout slightly :oooo: It was a really clear night and I remember thinking how gorgeous the stars looked on my way out of the house and there was one shining really brightly and I felt like I was being watched over, it was nice :) oh and I was singing along to Adele's "someone like you" on my way :lol: every time I hear that song now it brings a tear to my eye.

Got to hospital around 4 I think, abandoned the car outside A&E (where it would stay for some time oops) and went in to get hooked up to the CTG and have all the internals as normal. They though the bleeding was more show but I didn't think so. Whilst I was waiting to get seen the pains were a bit nippy so that I had to stand up and pace round, they gave me 2 paracetamol I think to try to make me sleep through contractions for the rest of the morning.

Things moved very slowly, I was admitted as I was 36+6 and still classed as premature and I was strepB positive which I didn't actually know about :shock:

I text o/h to let him know that this may be the real thing but not to rush home because it could still be another false alarm.

Throughut the day of the 2nd December the baby was monitored on a regular basis meaning that i had to stay laying down alot for CTG's. O/h arrived round lunch time but things were still not moving any further forward although I was contracting and still bleeding which I kept telling the mw's about but they sort of just fobbed it off which was really annoying me!! O/h left for a while to get sorted but came back for the evening visit.

In the afternoon a doc came to see me to put in a canular for antibiotics for the strep B. A midwife was in too and checked my pad which she was worried about and so referred it to the docs which is why they decided to give me the antibiotics then. They were asking me about my sister (they saw my memorial tattoo on my foot) which made me cry cos I was already emotional and frustrated that things weren't moving along and tired etc, but I got over it fairly quickly.

Things carried on that way into the evening, and then the ward sister came in and I think I got given a sweep- either that or it was the roughest internal ever! Had a contraction during this and was told I was up to 5cm and that I could go to delivery whenever I wanted to. I decied to wait until Corrie had finished :oooo:

Went into Labour ward at 9, and we read through my birth plan with my dedicated MW Tracy - who was really nice. Had to go on CTG again for the remainder of labour cos of him being premature but they tried to let me be as mobile as possible. I was introduced to the doctor who would be at the birth and also the paediatrician who would deal with the baby due to being prem. This is where I got to use a bit of G&A which I found fab!

By 10.30pm things were stopping - contractions dying down and I was raging. They broke my waters for me and it was like a tidal wave :blush: o/h and mw had to get out of the way pronto! I started to cry after my waters broke! I'd had that many false alarms that i dont think i really believed that this was the real thing until this point, i knew then that my baby would arrive. After this things stepped up a lot. The mw left the room for a while to have something to eat, i could smell her toast and thought the smell was coming from my waters :rofl: i said to o/h "my waters smell like toast" i think he nearly wet himself laughing whilst trying to explain that no, it wasnt my waters that smelt, it was actually real toast! I also said "we havent got a mattress" (for the cot) through my tears (still tears of realisation lol) and o/h replied "it doesn't matter that we aren't married" :rofl: clearly lost in translation and I even managed to laugh about it! The contractions got a lot more intense, I stood up for them all and leaned over the side of the bed. I remember only a few of them though as I was using my natal hypnotherapy techniques. I do remember thinking "I can't do this without pain relief" and then feeling the urge to push. I told the MW this and her and my o/h looked mildly amused as it was only 35 mins after my waters had broke. The MW said before she examined me "I don't want you to be disappointed, first babies usually take a lot longer than this and you will probably need a drip to help you along", but anyway she examined me and then said "I really can't believe this, your baby is ready to be born". The doc was then summonsed and I got on all fours over the bed for pushing but had to go on my back because the CTG kept losing the trace of the baby's heartbeat.

This is where my Natal hypnotherapy really kicked in, I was so relaxed, the MW just told me to listen to my body and do what felt right. I remember it being really dark, bar a light down at my "business end" for the MW to see. I remember o/h wiping my brow with a flannel which was allegedly cold but I was saying not cold enough!! And he was feeding me Ribena between contractions which was bliss. My body really took over and I just went with it - pushing like my life depended on it and then sleeping between contractions. I only remember about 3 of the pushes til he started to crown, and then the doctor adjusted my bed for me to give birth and I did swear at him for moving me :blush: but then the baby's head just popped out!!! MW said to me "just listen to what I tell you, but this is your first so you will probably need stitches" I just tried to relax as much as possible (which I found quite easy) and panted when she told me to and pushed when she told me to. I remember the shoulders coming and them taking the cord from round his neck. With one more push my beautiful little man was born and placed straight onto me and was looking up at me and cooing :cloud9: and then they showed us that he was a boy and he was taken away in an incubator.

In all I was pushing for 90 minutes though it felt like a lot less. Cameron arrived at 01.08 on 3/12/11 and weighed 7lbs0.5oz and 49cm long at 36+6.
The Mw's stayed in to manage delivery of the placenta and examine me, I had one graze but that was it! O/h got to go and see the little man whilst I was getting sorted. I then got given tea and toast but made o/h eat the toast cos I felt a bit sick and my teeth were chattering like mad from shock!

It was the most rewarding experience of my life- but bloody hard work!!!. I love my little man Cameron so much, I remember asking myself how it was possible to love someone so much that I had never even met before. O/h is besotted with him and is a brilliant daddy so far. I will add pics now from my phone.

I have to pop off shortly though cos Cam needs a feed ;) back soon x

Last edited:
:yay: Massive congratulations! You did brilliantly! Lovely story :love:

Oh and he was born at 01.08 on 3/12/11 and weighed 7lb 0.5oz after 90 mins of pushing :oooo:

Fantastic birth story. Love that you and your little man have a birth song from the drive to hospital. I'm gonna step up listening to my hypnobirthing now.

He really is gorgeous btw :hug: :love:

Lovely birth story Hun, you did so well & he is absolutely gorgeous! congratulations xx

Well done :) hes beautiful and what a fantastic labour whe it finally got started xx

Thanks girls, couldn't have asked for a better labour really - bar the false starts they were rather annoying!!!
I was able to walk and see him in the nursery after my toast and the mw's in there were amazed that I was up and about. Then the MW who delivered him came in and said "thanks for that I wish everyone was like you".

When o/h and I were alone after I'd been checked out he said to me: "wow princess no stitches, you must have a bucket fanny" :trouble: trust him to totally lower the tone :roll:

Fantastic story, so pleased that the hypotherapy worked so well for you I will definately start listening to mine more.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

You must feel elated and what a perfect early xmas present, big love! xxx

Congratulations - he's scrummy!!

congratulations, he is just gorgeous! and what a great birth story xx

Congratulations Princess, hes a stunner and what a lovely story xxx

Congratulation, you did really well, cameron is so beautiful, typical of you, ever the independent woman driving yourself to hospital whilst in labour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back