Sharing a room but eldest doesn't sleep?

kumber

Reaction score
Hi ladies, looking for soome advice.

Ds1 takes at least an hour to go to sleep. Always has. We think there is an underlying issue which we're getting referred to but diagnosis is a lengthy process. He likes to talk to himself and play around in bed for roughly an hour before finally conking out.

Ds2 is still in with us but I was hoping to move him in with his brother at 11 months, which is July. He is currently rocked to sleep, I have no idea how to get him to self settle. He's another one that will play in bed (or rather, stand and bounce).

I don't really know what to do. We only have 2 bedrooms. Help!

Last edited:
How old is ds1 and does he still have sides on his bed? That made the world of difference to us, ours used to take about an hour to get to sleep and we had to put him into his bed sleeping, since we took the sides off he gets in, tucks himself in has his bottle and nods off. If he's not tired he comes down and we try again in an hour or when he gets tired whichever one comes first x

Ds1 is 2 in June, he's in a full sized toddler bed. He's always taken an hour to fall asleep, we have done everything to try and change it to no avail. I'm not looking for advice on his sleeping as much, I've accepted it isn't going to change.

I'm just wondering what my best course of action is. Do I put them both in together and let them both take an hour to conk out, or do me and hubby give ds2 our bedroom and we sleep on a sofabed in the living room? Which is the lesser of 2 evils I suppose.

Would it be too late in the evening for your youngest if you waited until the oldest is asleep before putting the young one to bed? If you could let your oldest do his bedtime faffing around, rock your youngest to sleep then put him in once the oldest is zonked?

I have to put my two in the same room for our holiday and June and feeling nervous as the one and only time we tried it my youngest just stood in her cot laughing at her brother (who was being a good boy, closing his eyes and not reacting, but she was NOT sleeping). My youngest goes to bed first so my plan of action is to just sneak her older brother in once she is fully asleep. Thankfully though, he is 3 and very good at settling to sleep... I just worry that once she is disturbed she'll just wake and have a giggle.

It would be too late unfortunately, it can take ds1 on a good night an hour and up to 2 hours on a bad night to fall asleep which would mean ds2 would potentially have to stay up til 9pm. That's just not a possibility, he's ready to fall asleep at 7. Even putting ds2 down in our room and moving isn't really an option as it would disturb him and it isn't a long term solution.

The only way around it I can think of is to get ds2 into self settling and then trial them in the same room for a month. If that doesn't work, I fear me and hubby will be moving into the living room!

Ill be watching as I'll also be in this boat. Jackson tends to drift off and sleep sound but not sure how a new baby that might not sleep so sound might affect him lol.

Get a big sofa bed lmao.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back