Settling a new born and breastfeeding and basically pretty much everything else

Hunnie

Reaction score
I know it's only day 2 but I'm just trying to get as many hints and tips as possible. I feel so rubbish at doing all this already :(! I've decided to breast feed her and she's taken to it really well so far but there's time where I cant tell if she's actually hungry or just using my boobs for comfort? I can't tell at the minute either if she's wanting boob for comfort or that shes actually hungry because literally all today she has been on my boobs alternatively. I don't know whether to persevere with the breast feeding or not! :( its just such a difficult decision cos i feel like she isn't getting enough but at the same time I'm sure she is?

Shes not crying all the time but when she does I just feel like there's absolutely nothing that works but of course she does eventually settle down. What have you ladies found that helps to settle your babys? I'm willing to try everything just to feel not so rubbish :(

I'm no expert as Tyler is only a week old but, whenever he starts rooting or crys I give him a feed which my midwife said was fine. I've also been writing down what time he feeds and for how long which is great as were starting to see a pattern after a week! The first few days were all over the place and even now I feel like I'm constantly feeding but when I look back over my day it's only every hour to 3 hours depending when it is during the day but this should get less frequent as he gets older? My first few days were a blur but I feel 10 times better about it all now and I assume each week that passes will get easier and better and better!

Honestly it will get easier, I did nearly 14 months!! Isla was on my boob for what felt like yonks but in reality it too was between and hr to 3/4 hr gaps. Growth spurts aren't easy but your baby is getting enough! Trust your boobies :) drink loads of water and rest as much as possible xxxx

I've just had a nice chat with a lady giving guidance from the national breastfeeding helpline. Bit annoyed at the hospital because they've watched me feeding her and have seen the pain that I've been having and yet according to this woman from the helpline it shouldn't have hurt at all and I've not been taught to teach her how to latch on properly, which I haven't :/! Gonna have another go at it tonight with my mum here to help and support me through it I think.

Don't feel as stressed now that she's asleep! :)

For the first few days you should let her feed/comfort whenever she wants as she will be sending cues to your body to make the milk. You will very quickly know when she a crying for food, new baby's also always root about so unless shes crying she probably not hungry. Congrats by the way x

That's terrible but tbh I had no help or assistance at the hospital it wasn't until the midwife came over she gave me some tips! Stock up on lanisonah for when you get sore!

I've just had a nice chat with a lady giving guidance from the national breastfeeding helpline. Bit annoyed at the hospital because they've watched me feeding her and have seen the pain that I've been having and yet according to this woman from the helpline it shouldn't have hurt at all and I've not been taught to teach her how to latch on properly, which I haven't :/! Gonna have another go at it tonight with my mum here to help and support me through it I think.

Don't feel as stressed now that she's asleep! :)

Well done ringing the helpline you need lots of support for the first few weeks. We have support workers here who come out and check your latch is right as well. It can still be painful the first few days but hang in there it gets easier and theres lots of us on here to support you too x

Hey hun....you're doing a fab job ;) has your milk come in yet? This usually happens about day 3 or 4 (you'll know about it as your boobs will be HUGE and engorged)....she'll be feeding alot at the moment to encourage your milk to come in!

Once it does come in she will be much more content as its much more filling than just the colostrum of the first few days!

Hope that helps and keep up the good work it really is worth it :) xxx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

It will get easier but atm she needs to be with you alot of the time. Being latched on, whether for food or comfort, is really good for her and is also really good for your supply.

I BF my son for 1 year and I remember the early days. It is hard work, but in the end is worth it. Oz would go 2 hours approximately between feeds if I was out n about with him, if at home he wanted to be latched alot of the time. I used to watch alot of films lol

Enjoy those cuddles coz they aren't newborn long!! They're soon on the go lol

I've Just completely given in and given her a carton of the SMS gold :( I feel such a failure right now.

I gave tyler a few cartons but I carried on trying too! Sometimes it's easier if your both less stressed over it! Don't feel bad for doing it as he's being kept fed which Is what matters.

Don't feel bad it doesn't mean you can't try the breast again later tonight x

Hunnie don't stress about giving a formula feed just now....feeding your baby either way is the lost important thing. It will get easier esp if u get help from your mum or midwife to get breastfeeding techniques sorted. Don't give up just yet-it takes time and patience and u will get there. Xxx

You can only take each day as it comes with bf, don't feel guilty about any decision you make.....your baby your choice!
As for settling I would alway whisper into Graces ear while rocking or walking with her, now at 12 weeks I can sit beside her cot and whisper to her to settle, I don't need to pick her up for a cuddle......still do of course :) but sometimes she's just ok if she knows I'm there, she doesn't kind it if my OH tries to whisper to her though! He obviously doesn't say the right thing lol

Struggling to get her to go to sleep in her crib as well tonight :(!!! She just keeps screaming whenever we put her down :(

Jax was like that hun. We had a Moses basket which he pretty much refused to go in so I co slept with him for the first 10/11 weeks. Since last Sat night he's been in his big cot in his own room and he's doing really well. I still cuddle him to sleep and sometimes it takes a few attempts to get him down but we get there in the end. Tonight he's been in bed since 6pm and not woken for a fed yet and he went down first time :) I still spend quite a lot of time cuddling him while he sleeps in the day if we are home!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

She's slept with us tonight and we've both managed to get some sleep at least and alternatively cuddled her. She just wants cuddles and contact all the time and everytime she goes in the crib she just screams the place down and I dont think I'm going to be a fan of self soothing - she just seems to get so upset and worked up that it really doesn't seem worth it, I'm guessing it's just something we will have to work on as she gets older but I do keep forgetting atm that she is only just 3 days old. I think once we work through the days when she gets to sleep in her bouncer on her own then we can work our way up to being more confident I think.

Just had a bit of a meltdown last night with it all and I've decided I think I need to go to the doctors and get something sorted out for the depression in obviously going through (had it all through pregnancy as well).

I feel so awful feeding her from a bottle, it just doesn't feel natural at all but at the same time I feel so much happier because I know how much her little body is getting now and I'm going to start regulating or atleast try to regulate feeds so we can keep on top of it all. After seeing her be so upset yesterday evening and literally screaming her lungs out to then being so content once she had had some formula and finally having a full tummy, I think I just can't put her through all that again and trying going back to the breast. I feel so guilty that I thought she was feeding all yesterday but actually she probably wasn't because her latching technique wasn't as good as it should be. just got some little cartons of ready made SMA gold till we can ask MW her opinion on which forumlas are good and which ones we should stick to or try to keep her on. Her belly seems to settle well with the SMA gold so maybe we should just keep that it the same if her tummy is happy with it.

What formulas do you all use?? Or have found to be better?

God this being a mummy is so hard!!

Thank you for all your help and advice ladies, it really is appreciated and I don't know what I'd do without you all!! Xxxxx

It is all very overwhelming at the beginning when baby arrives and there is so much to think about. The key is to try and stay as relaxed as u can and don't expect a lot from yourself and your little girl as it is all new to you both. If u think u have depression do go to the docs but your MW should help u with the baby blues as well as it does happen to so many ladies. U r doing a fab job caring for your daughter so don't beat yourself up. Newborns have no routine, dont know day from night and miss being in your tummy so masses of cuddles and sleeping together is fine for us all-it helps her feel happy and u all to bond. Enjoy her u-each day u will feel slightly better and less daunted by it all until suddenly u realise that u r a mummy and it's like it's always been that way and u were never without her. My friends with babies said newborns are tough and the hardest time is caring for them for the first 6 weeks then they get a lot easier xxx

I've said to OH that one day Soph will be all grown up and not want anything to do with us so we are to treasure these times now that she wants all the cuddles cos I'm sure we will both look back and say it when she's a teenager that we wish she was that little girl again loving cuddles.

I've struggled with depression all the way through and I feel I need to get on top of it now because it's just not fair on my OH either :/ xx

Struggling to get her to go to sleep in her crib as well tonight :(!!! She just keeps screaming whenever we put her down :(

She's only brand new hun, give her time. She doesn't even know she's not inside you atm, being away from you is stressful for her. having baby lay on your chest, or OHs, to hear your heartbeat is really really good for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back