Separation Anxiety at 6 months?

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
My small girl is starting to get a bit upset if she sees me leaving the room, especially at bedtime and it's starting to make bedtime a bit of a battle.

She has been amazing at going to bed for the last 10-11 weeks, she goes down awake, has a bash of her light show then is normally asleep within 10 mins (apart from the countless times she throws her dummy out and I have to put it back in...:oooo:) But the last couple of weeks she's really fighting it. She now has a fake cry :roll: No tears but all the right noises to make it sound like she's having a meltdown.

She stirred a little while ago so I went to put her dummy in but as soon as she saw me that was it! As soon as I started to move away she got upset. In the end I took her out and gave her a cuddle and she's gone back off now. She's not like it with her Daddy, just me. We spend all day every day together and I read earlier that at 6 months they realise they're not actually attached to us so I'm wondering if she'd starting to get a bit upset if she thinks I'm not around?

Poor bubs. Anyone else going through this? x

My eldest LO started this at 6 m/o it was difficult coz she started nursery then too, I had no option but to leave her. She would scream the place down (that cry where it seems like they stop breathing!) but I would watch at the door after I left & she would stop after a cpl of mins, every time. When i'd collect her she'd be all happy & excited with the toys ect. The nursery nurses told me they all do it at that age. About 2 weeks later she stopped & started crying when she had to leave looool

They do stop it eventually. Gradually increase the time you spend away from her, as hard as it is, try not to go running when she cries (i know how hard this is, I even cried myself)

:hugs:

I have played endless games of peekaboo with Emma. So she knows that if I disappear, I come back again! Think we have built up quite a lot of trust, but it could be that it hasn't peaked yet for her!

I think we're starting to go through something similar. Poppy's bedtime routine has been all over the place because I've started to have to cuddle her to sleep - something I've never had to do before! Just goes to show that routines don't always work, as I was always so smug that she would settle herself to sleep and it made me glad it wouldn't be a problem in the future - WRONG! She wails when I walk away from the cot. It's happened a few times during the day, too. It's like she suddenly notices I'm not in the room and will start crying, not just whinging, but full on sobs if I don't come back right away. It's literally only the past week or so she's started doing it.
She normally goes out for a few hours with her nana on a weds or thurs, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to let her go knowing she might be really, really upset! :(

Sorry that wasn't much help, but you're not alone! xx

Last edited:
....I'm also secretly a tiny bit happy about it. It's nice to know she loves me that much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back