Sensible mummy head has started!

Nickinakinoo

Reaction score
So I'm a bit (lot) of a shopaholic and I've been told I'm not allowed to buy stuff till after 12 weeks but I've been planning on what to buy. It's our first so I'm trying to not be too demanding on what I want but I want it all perfect :lol:
Anyway been looking at nursery sets and they're beautiful withprice tags of £700,£800,£900+ And I just think of all the other things we could get with that. So I've decided on an idea set, grand total £300 for cot, changing unit and wardrobe.

Good budget to set! I didn't spend much at all on my first (mainly because I didn't have much space) but things like that do not have to be expensive.

I think the most expensive thing we will be buying is the travel system with the car seat and base for the car, that is the mega bucks for us. The cot I would like is only £90 so that isn't the end of the world either, and my Fiances sister has just had a baby so shes got loads of stuff to give us which is verrrry handy!! Hardly anything to buy after that, when we find out the sex, I will then go through DD's clothes, so that saves a load of money too! So exciting budgeting for all the baby stuff xx

I bought full size white furniture for my nursery - much more practical and they last for years! Once your children get passed about 5, there clothes are too long for the wardrobes and need replaced.

For this baby we only had ds cot so we got the stuva furniture from ikea, you can add onto it and its really sturdy. I did initially want a nursery set but the price and amount of use it would get it made sense to get the ikea stuff to last as she grows. We even got some for ds

I recommend cotbed over cot if you can fit it... I'll make a list of essentials and post it tomorrow.

That is my downfall where I live - I have no space so I can only fit a cot :( but I had one last time and it worked out really well so hopefully that will be the case this time x

There are so many beautiful nursery sets but for us, it was just not possible on our wages/budget to go with a full nursery set. Instead we have a cot-bed second hand from my brother, we opted for a Snuzpod for the first 6 months and then got a £39 wardrobe and £49 chest of drawers from IKEA! There are definitely ways to do it on a smaller budget, especially if you pick items based on when baby has grown a little, opposed to properly baby themed furniture x

For this baby we only had ds cot so we got the stuva furniture from ikea, you can add onto it and its really sturdy. I did initially want a nursery set but the price and amount of use it would get it made sense to get the ikea stuff to last as she grows. We even got some for ds

This is the set we are getting next time round to kinda match two ages, ones 3 and if I got new born furniture it wont suit both ages.

The STURVA stuff looks lovely.

xxx

We don't have a wardrobe in the nursery, just an old chest of drawers and we hang her dresses on the back of the airing cupboard door. We got a cot top changing mat and when she got too heavy for that we sat it on top of the drawers. It's done us fine so far :)

We sometimes used jacksons drawers in the early days as I didnt buy a changing statio.

It works all the same xxx

I got my nursery set in argos last week it's mamma and papas and was 600 but now down to 300. I brought my friends next to me crib for 60 just need to buy a mattress. If I didn't get it from her I would have got it on eBay. My pram was in the sale. This is my first and yes I'm super excited but I refuse to fall into the trap and spend a ridiculous amount of money on things that are not necessary. X

Best advice i can give is keep an eye on offers and if u see a good deal buy it as it may not come around again. We bought our video monitor / sensor mat thing the day of my 12 week scan cos it was half price in asda baby event, £90 instead of £180!
Also got mamas & papas nursey furniture on sale at £399 instead of £600, that was around the 20 wk mark but would have bought earlier if sale had been on. Also make sure u sign up to like Bounty & Emma's Diary as u get weekly emails offers, got our cotbed mattress half price and crib half price through these. Aldi are brilliant aswell, keep an eye out for their baby events, def recommend their nappies and wipes (so cheap and top of the baby awards etc) and we got a baby gate from there for £8 which we wont need for a fair while but was so cheap - they do cellular & lovely fleecy blankets etc aswell really cheap and nice quality! Agree with above poster that travel system is most expensive our inlaws bought ours luckily but it was £900 - u can get cheaper (not a great deal) but we bought a popular make that has a really good second hand resale value! And also dont buy loads of clothes if u expect a fair bit from friends and family as we have lots my little boy wont wear at all! Hope this helps x

Last edited:
I brought a travel system from mamma and papas it's there own make named zoom. They sell the carrycot, stroller and car seat for 330. When i told my friend she already had the same one and said how good it was. Babies will not be in a pram for too long so I wouldn't waste the money. I am going to exchange the car seat as I might get an isofix one. I suggest you try prams out and think practically. X

I'm exactly like you blueclass it's my first but refuse to spend thousands. My friend who is also pregnant has spent over 2.5k so far. I've bought crib, brand new travel system from mothercare(£253 in sale!) few clothes, steriliser(£10 brand new off gumtree),bottles,travel cot,changing mat,dummies all for about £400. Just bedding and nappies to get really. A friend us giving me baby monitors so been lucky xx

Wow that's really good. It's my nursery set which sey me back as that's 300 but my crib was cheap. I need to buy a monitor and a steriliser. I'm going to the baby show in Feb so will look there for deals but I'm looking in line in mean time x

I really wanted to go to the babyshow but I live in Leeds and London is too far to travel(especially with my bladder atm!) And the one in Birmingham(I think) is after I've had my baby! :( xx

There's one in Manchester in mArch is that's any good for you? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back