Seman analysis

AMKbabyhopeful

Reaction score
Hey, we have been ttc for about 9 months now. I'm 37 and my husband is 27. I have a 14 year old son from my first marriage. So I know everything was working for me at one point. I went to my doctor and he says the first thing is for my husband to have a semen analysis. We are both a bit nervous. Any advice or experiences to share? My husband is pretty modest and shy. The idea of having to go to the hospital and leave a sample is pretty horrifying to him. But he has agreed and has an appointment on the 14 to see his doctor. Is there anything he should know? Like should he avoid ejaculation a certain number of days before the test? Just want him to know as much as possible before he goes. He might be embarrassed to ask questions. Thanks in advance.

Hello AMK! I see you are in Canada so I don't know how things work over there but my husband had to give a sample after his vasectomy reversal to check if it worked. He was told to abstain from sex/ejaculation for 3 days prior to giving the sample, and he could 'produce it' at home as long as he could get it to the hospital within an hour (which he managed, just!) as they gave him the pot to take home. Is that an option do you know?

Try not to worry too much...9 months is not an incredibly long time to be trying and he is young at 27. Hopefully the results will come back fine for you both :)

Hiya. My husband was told to abstain for 3 days. He had to do two samples, three months apart. He was able to do it at home and I took it in to the hospital for him. Like ivyjanelily said above, as long as we could get it there in a hour he was allowed to do it at home.

He was really worried about it but it all came back fine. I wish all my tests had been as easy as putting a sample in a cup!

My husband did this at the beginning of December and he was very worried and uncomfortable about it AMKbabyhopeful

We collected a pot and a form from the GP and that had all the instructions on it. He was not supposed to ejaculate for 2 days prior but had to have ejaculated no more than 5 days before.

The sample needed to be produced at home, so before work for my hubby, and I dropped it in to the local blood testing dept of our Hospital within an hour after it was produced.

I also 'helped' him with the sample as he really was highly turned off by the whole ejaculating into a little pot thing :) which I can understand, but essentially it was very easy compared to all the tests us girls have to go through and over relatively quickly. He will need to do another one in a few weeks as there were some inconclusive elements to his results (although his sperm are fine).... so we'll have to do it all again soon unless I get a BFP soon... which I bet he is dreading! hehe!

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! Doing it at home would probably be preferable to him. Hopefully we have the option. We are about 20 minutes from the hospital so I could get it there in time. I guess we will find out all the details on the 14 when he sees his doctor. But thanks for the advice. I'm feeling better about it already. Not to big of a deal at all. I have no idea what sort of tests I will have to do when his come back fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back