self feeding

meggymum

Reaction score
Quick question

My boy is 2 in october. He feeds himself finger foods no problem and drinks out of Sippy cups. When it comes to using a spoon or fork he will try for maybe one mouthful then gives up and I have to feed him. Sometimes he doesn't even try with the food and just plays with the plate and fork once he has finished eating. I am a bit concerned he is falling behind.

Should I be worried or am I fussing over nothing?

Grace is the same age and she will do a couple of mouth fulls but then will feed herself using her hands, no matter what the food!
If she has beans she will eat 1 by 1 using her fingers lol

I think if he at least has a go with fork/spoon then it's ok, maybe try and see if he will use his fingers to feed himself, may get messy but he could just be getting you to feed him because he knows you will rather than he can't iykwim
I just let grace get on with it, the only thing I feed her is soup everything else is up to her including yoghurts etc

I don't think you have anything to worry about just yet, although its part of their 2 year development check but you are quite a few months away from that.

My lo started to use cutlery 'properly' at 16/7 months and before then I would only feed her really messy stuff like soup for a few months but she is fiercely independant

Thanks ladies that has put my mind at rest:) ★

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back