Self employed people??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by flexilexi394, Jul 8, 2016.

1. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Apologies for it being in the pregnancy section but no one ever goes in the home life and finances section!

Anyone else self-employed and a bit of a workaholic???

I literally cannot get work off my brain. I am a dog groomer and have spent 3 years building an incredible client base, and I cannot stop thinking about returning to work and just getting straight back on it as soon as I am able to stand up for longer than a couple of hours!

Please tell me I am not mad or alone in this lol?? I am thinking I will be going back in October just for one day a week for a while until I can up it slightly and maybe do 2 days a week or something so I don't lose too many clients, I will have to give up a few of them but I should be able to keep 75% of them doing one day and one evening a week.

I actually lose sleep over this at the moment and everything, I just want to try and keep my finances as good as they are now and keep saving as well as I have been, and carry on running a very successful little business!

Anyone going through the same sort of thing please do make me feel like I am not going crazy and am too much of a workaholic, and if anyone has similar things lets talk about it! lol xxx

2. KateK

KateK Well-Known Member

Hey Lexi, I am self employed but am having the opposite problem - I am struggling to think about returning after baby (assuming all goes well with my pregnancy..) I am an artist and I find it very emotionally and mentally draining (I know that sounds weird!) I really put my all into it and if i'm not 'in the mood' I find it really hard to motivate myself..

I'd much rather be in your boat to be honest - it sounds like you absolutely love what you do and you shouldn't feel guilty whatsoever for wanting to keep your business ticking. You're in the excellent position of being your own boss, you have total flexibility over when to work so embrace it and don't worry about having to spend months being with the baby.. I can imagine that doing what you do having a chunk of time out could be damaging to your client base so as soon as you're up to it, get back to it!

Sounds like you have a lovely situation sweet so enjoy it :) xx

3. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Ahh thank you for making me feel less guilty! I genuinely felt bad about wanting to go back to work so much and yeah you're right I do have the kind of client base that needs to be maintained so I should stick at it.

I am no artist at all Kate but I know a few and they all say the same thing - that they need to really be in the zone to complete their work and stuff, I guess it all comes down to needing inspiration and if you suddenly get the urge you can't let it pass you just have to act on it!

I never thought I would find a job that I love so much :) I am really attached to my job and I have always been a bit of a workaholic and earning my own money feels like such an achievement to me, it took me a while to get to this point and I don't particularly want it to slide too much xxx