Section or foreceps?

Fermerswife

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been given two options for delivery of my baby and while I think I have made up my mind, am interested in others opinions.

Background is this is my second baby and for unrelated medical reasons I can't have a natural delivery the way I did with my first. Consultant has given me two options
1) elective section
2) have an epidural, allow contractions to push baby down into birth canal (I cannot push) then deliver by foreceps.

What would you do?

:wave:

Oh I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation...mainly because the use of forceps scares the bejesus out of me. Not exactly sure why that is...maybe too much reading about other women's experiences or the not knowing. I just imagine that it'd be rough and very painful...however if you're having an epidural that shouldn't be an issue?

I've had a c-section before and while I healed extremely well and didn't have any complications, the thought of doing it again doesn't bode well. Again I've read too much info on the net. When I went through my c-section I was 19 years of age, so over 18 years ago, and ignorance was absolute bliss. Internet access and readiness of that type of info was sparce.

Not much help am I! Sorry! Soooo...given that I was faced with those two options I reckon I'd take the forceps route with the epidural. To me, I'd justify it by hopefully less recovery time than a c-section.

Good luck with your decision hun, only you will know what's best for you and your reasonings why. x

Hi my friend had an emergency section with her first and with her second she had an epidural, episiotomy and forceps delivery.

She said the second was far better and an easier recovery. But I will add these were both emergency situations so a different situation to yours which will be more controlled x

Thanks ladies. I guess I am concerned that as I can't push (as you normally do even with a foreceps delivery) the changes of an emergency section with a baby in distress are high. I had foreceps to help out at the end with my first and my son was born with a very bruised head and eye & I always think that was responsible for him being such an unsettled baby. So I guess for those reasons I'm edging towards the elective section, would really welcome more input tho.

I have no experience of a section but did have a forceps delivery and I didn't have an easy recovery. I had an episiotomy which I think is quite standard and had an epidural during induction with a top up before the forceps. As I'd had the epidural so long it was a good 18 hours before I could walk steadily and I found the episiotomy very sore for a long time (still not back to normal now 5 1/2 months later!). You also run the risk of ending up with a section if forceps fails and to be honest the idea of recovering from a section and episiotomy doesn't appeal at all! If it was me I'd go for the section x

I've had both. I recovered much quicker from forceps. They will know fairly quickly if they can't get baby out with forceps. I had to stay in hospital for 3 days after my section but came out the next morning with forceps. If you already have a little one it may be worth taking into account you have to be carefully lifting after a section.

Farmers, please let me know how you get on and what you choose. I had my first in Aug 2015 by emcs after failed progression and forceps attempt. I was gutted not to have delivered naturally but happy for a healthy baby girl. Now expecting again only 7 months on (ooppps) but wondered whether or not to try naturally again or to book in for an emcs.

Interested in your story xxx

I would always elect to have baby pass through the birth canal if possible, because of the colonization with good bacteria and the incredible benefit to the lungs (they are fully compressed while traveling through the birth canal and there are a number of benefits to that though I'll have to look up again what they are sorry!). I'm so sorry you need to make this tough decision but I hope it all goes well!

I had epidural and forceps with my baby, had episiotomy which I'm still recovering from 6 weeks later and no signs of it getting back to anywhere near normal. I don't have the comparison of a section, but my birth was quite traumatic that I'm not sure I would want a vaginal birth again x

In short, after having epesiotomy and ventuse delivery I would go for an elective section if I was in your position.
That's what I would do but only you can make that choice. Your no less of a woman to opt for a planned section. Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back