Second labours, deliveries and hospital stays?

Gill09876

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I had an episiotomy and forceps delivery with my first child. Hoping for an easier delivery this time around. I was induced first time as well around 8pm, baby was born 3pm the following day. How did you second labours and deliveries compare? Also was it a shorter hospital stay second time around?

Thanks Gill x

My first labour was 17 hours. Second was 6 hours. With my first I went to the hospital quite early on because I was scared. With the second I stayed at home as long as I could until I felt like I couldn't handle the pain any more. I was disappointed with myself that I only lasted 5 hours at home but I didn't realise how close to giving birth I was lol and Penny was born an hour after we got to the hospital.

I really think staying at home helped me though. Once I got to hospital I just didn't feel as relaxed as I had before. Makes me wonder whether I'd want a home birth next.

My best friend had an episiotomy and forceps after a 2 day Labour with her first and her 2nd she had a 4h Labour and just made it To hospital with minutes to spare. She had no time for pain relief and only torn slightly

Everyone's different. My first was a 12h Labour that ended with an episiotomy and ventouse but I'm hoping to be like my friend and have a much easier time next time.

I'm sure most (not all) Labour's are much quicker second time

First labour

Water went 38w4d. Labour started naturally. 15hr established labour. 3 stitches. In hospital just short of 48hrs

Second labour

Water went 37w4d. Labour started naturally. 41 minutes established labour (I kid you not!). No stitches. In hospital just short of 9hrs.

Personally found second labour more traumatic (think because it was so fast) but recovery was brilliant I felt basically normal 2 days later!

Good luck! Xxx

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I healed a lot quicker with second baby, even though with second I had a small tear and with first I didn't tear at all!

Thanks girls. I'm hoping for an easier time 2nd time around x

1st labour = 36h at home, went in at 6cm and still had another 15h in hospital before delivery. Thankfully it was a natural delivery in the end but due to how long I'd been in labour they kept us in 24h (which was 36h as I'd delivered at 1am)

2nd labour = 4 hours from waters going to delivery. I was only at the hospital for 80 minutes before I had the baby. Had to do the miminum 6h stay (which was more like 8h as they were busy). Went in at 5am and was home before 3pm.

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I had exactly the same delivery with my first. Induced, forceps and episiotomy. Induction started midday on the Saturday and delivered 1am on the Monday and stayed until Tuesday evening (self discharged otherwise would have been in until Wednesday morning).

With my second Contractions started at 3am, and lost mucus plug, stayed at home until 1pm, was in hospital by 2pm and delivered naturally after 5pm. I was discharged at about 2pm the next day as I had to have a spinal due to do a retained placenta (otherwise I probably could have left sooner).

Last edited:
My first labour started spontaneously in the morning (abit 9am) and ended in me having an emergency c-section at 9.20pm. I wasn't very prepared for being monitored and so didn't stay active because I didn't think I could with all the wires and was very stressed about my baby being in distressed.

My second labour was very different - I was much more prepared for things and opted for a vbac. They tried to induce me due to growth concerns but this didn't happen. Anyway spontaneously labour again starting at 4am and I stayed very active throughout my labour and gave birth naturally with only abit of pain relief at 4.20pm - I did have monitoring second time around and nearly had to have forceps, but luckily I managed to push her out before they could fine be registrar as they only let me push for an hour due to my previous c-sec.

I think the key to it really is to think about what had happened with your previous birth and try to do as much research as possible about what could help you. My husband was very vocal and positive second time which really helped me too, whereas he was quieter first time around

My first labour was 7 hours and 2nd degree tear, my second was 5 hours but only an hour and twenty minutes in active labour, 3rd degree tear but a lot bigger baby. All in all my second labour was way more intense but I preferred it because it was so much quicker x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back