Screening tests

Naranja

Reaction score
Have many of you had screening tests for Downs etc during your pregnancies? What are your experiences? I decided not to with my two children but now pregnant with twins I am so conflicted. I don't know what to do for the best, I am so scared of the risk of miscarriage of one or both babies but feel like when I already have 2 children, I need to know.

I have had the NIPT done twice. It gave me peace of mind, but like Jac says, it's a personal choice.
I don't know if the NIPT works with twins. Where I live the blood test only costs 8 euros, so a lot of women have it done.x

Yeah I've been looking into NIPT but I can't find a lot about them. I can't work out if they are available in the UK at all. I'd pay if I have to. I havent had the initial screening yet which is the non-risky part. I'm just worried about what I'd do if it came back high risk.

oh I've found more information now, I see private clinics do it. I'm feeling a lot more positive now. I hate taking a risk unless theres a very good reason and it appears NIPT results are very accurate although not 100%

oh I've found more information now, I see private clinics do it. I'm feeling a lot more positive now. I hate taking a risk unless theres a very good reason and it appears NIPT results are very accurate although not 100%
Yes the NIPT tests the baby not only for Down syndrome but also Patau and Edwards. And if you want to know the gender, you can find out a lot sooner!
I think it was also called the harmony test. I remember it was very expensive with my DD, about 400 euros but we wanted to be sure everything was okay and coughed up the money. 2 months later, the belgian health care system decided to drop the price to 8 euros. We were so annoyed!! But you can only have it done between 11 and 14 weeks I think. Not sure anymore. X

In the UK the Harmony test can be done anytime after 10 weeks and costs £450 in the South.

We’re getting booked in after being classed high risk with my little one 4 years ago. Got sent to London as the test was quite new then and got the all clear.

Im now 40 so am worried that being much older my risk level has increased. Yes it’s a lot of money but I personally think it’s worth it.

Good luck xx

In the UK the Harmony test can be done anytime after 10 weeks and costs £450 in the South.

We’re getting booked in after being classed high risk with my little one 4 years ago. Got sent to London as the test was quite new then and got the all clear.

Im now 40 so am worried that being much older my risk level has increased. Yes it’s a lot of money but I personally think it’s worth it.

Good luck xx

Yes, I'm fast approaching 40 too. I'll be 40 by the time the twins arrive. I'm going to do the hospital blood/scan screening and see what the outcome is. If high, I'll try and book a Harmony test. Anything to avoid the amnio unless really necessary. Previously I've always thought it didn't matter but with two other kids and two more arriving that may or may not have problems, I think I at least need to know.

Update on this - I went with the first combined screening and asked about NIPT. The hospital said they would recommend it if high risk and that they could do it although not free of charge. The private clinic nearby was actually cheaper. So that was the route I had planned but then the combined test results came back as "extremely low risk" so that made things easier as we've left it at that. It was good to hear about NIPT tests though and know they are a safe option if worried.

Update on this - I went with the first combined screening and asked about NIPT. The hospital said they would recommend it if high risk and that they could do it although not free of charge. The private clinic nearby was actually cheaper. So that was the route I had planned but then the combined test results came back as "extremely low risk" so that made things easier as we've left it at that. It was good to hear about NIPT tests though and know they are a safe option if worried.

Pleased to hear you’ve got a low risk.

Im booked in on the 20th ... so nervous xx

its free on nhs dont pay

it’s not free on the nhs, It’s only offered by some trusts if your combined screening comes back high risk....(Liverpool, London and one or two more), the nhs actually charge more for this then private clinics, and I think some nhs trusts still only offer the amniocentesis if your initial screening comes back high risk

It’s certainly not free in my area.

I was offered it first time around but only as I was given high risk after screening tests at my 12 week scan.

For me it’s a personal choice due to age, previously going through the stress and also by the time I’d get my 12 week scan results I’d certainly be showing. Personally I don’t want to announce my pregnancy without knowing for certain - this is why I’m going private xx

I’m paying privately via the nhs and it’s actually a little cheaper. I could have the test at our fertility clinic, but my local nhs hospital is more convenient work wise so going for that option.

It's not free in the North East neither. Apparently they launched it for a short period a while back but there was a dispute over which lab to use and it went to court and was put on hold. The government proposal is to make it free and part of the normal screening process I understand but its not running yet.

MelC2011 - I can understand the nerves, I've was on edge waiting. I knew the NT measurements were low as they told us that on the day but I was scared my bloods would be bad due to my age (39). Turned out the overall results (for Downs, at least) were comparable to a woman of 20-25 in both babies... Hopefully that may put some other older women at ease as I did just presume my bloods would give a bad result due to age.

@Naranja that’s really lovely to hear, thanks. Its certainly a relief when those all important results come in.
I’m still going ahead with going private as I just need to know xx

oh sorry its because im high risk its why nhs have offered it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back