Screening for preterm delivery

Eveadel

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have received an appointment for the above scan for this Friday. This is a new internal scan where they measure the length of the cervix, these are being offered to all women between 21 & 25 weeks in my area.

Is anybody else having one of these?

Hi, I think this is what I'm going to be having. My consultant told me that because I've suffered with premature labours with all my pregnancies that I'll be having my cervix measured. I'm assuming that its the same thing.

Nikki

Hi Nikki

Yes that sounds the same thing.

I think it is a good idea

I do too. My first son was born at 24 1/2 weeks and unfortunately didn't survive. I went into prem labour with my second son at 23 weeks and with my daughter at 24 weeks. Luckily the hospital caught the labours in time to stop them. I think the scan could be invaluable.

Nikki.

Oh Nikki,

Im sorry to hear about your first son, that must of been the worst thing to go through :(

How many weeks did your second son & daughter arrive in the end? How many weeks are you now?

My son was born at 38 weeks and my daughter was spot on her due date. I am 15w + 4. The consultant has booked me in at 22 weeks, i think its then that I get the scan. Also my midwife has offered to see me weekly from 20 weeks until I'm past 25 weeks.

Nikki

Not sure if you guys have this kinda testing where you are I know it's in the states. It's sort of feels like and is like a pap smear where they can test you to see if you will go into early labor I've had this done a couple of times through out my pregnancy. The findings are good for a month so it would have to be something that is done once a month and is 99% accurate and in my opinion is well worth it when you are a high risk pregnancy for preterm labor. Something to look into.

xoxo Ree

Had my pre-term scan on Friday. It was an internal one and not at all painful. They checked my blood to placenta etc and I am low risk for pre-eclampsia. They measured my cervix and it is shorted than normal so I am at more high risk of delivering prior to 34 weeks. I have to go back next Monday to have another scan.

They scanned her afterwards externally and she looked lovely, she kept hiding her faces with her hands it was quite funny to watch. They also gave me another 4 scan pictures, I really cant believe she is inside me when I look at them!!

This sounds like an excellent idea - I think it should be routine - they would have shown my likelyness for early labour alot sooner.
Think I will be having this done with my next pregnancy.

Yes it would be a good idea for it to be routine, my hospital have been doing these scans for about 18 months now.

Sami, so was you little man born 6 weeks early??

Hi last Thursday I went in for my 16 week blood tests and I saw one of the consultants. I'm not having an internal scan. On my 20 week scan they're going to measure the length of my cervix. They've booked me in for the following week to discuss the outcome and then decide whether or not they're going to put a stitch in the cervix.

Nikki

Eveadel said:
Sami, so was you little man born 6 weeks early??

Yes hun he was 6 weeks early but I had contractuions from about 27 weeks and my cervix was shortening and dilating already.

Did you have to go into hospital to be monitored? What was your labour like in the end?

Eveadel x

I was in and out of hospital LOADS! After being in slow labour for a week my waters broke at home and Damien was born 5 houras later - very quick but very intense! Overall it was a good birth experience even if I did have to make an ambulance journey up the motorway to another hospital :roll:

I had my 1st scan at 20 weeks to measure the cervix and then every 2 weeks after, i was offered a stitch but was told it could cause miscarriage or prem labour and by 20 weeks i would have had to given birth so i decided to let nature take it's course, i was on bedrest from 27 weeks, my waters started leaking at around 28 weeks i was admitted to hospital at 33 weeks then my waters broke properly at 35 weeks and Abi was born 15 hours later.

Next time i will have the stitch put in at 12 weeks, that way if things go wrong it's not as bad as at 20 weeks after feeling bubs move and having to give birth and stuff although still wont be nice.

Oh Manda

Im so pleased that Abi was born safely in the end.

I will wait and see how I get on at my next appt on Monday. I dont know whether Ive got my pregnancy head on but the stich can actually cause premature labour???

Nicki
Eveadel

23 + 1

Yeah thats what i was told and had browse on net said about infections and stuff which can cause miscarriage and prem labour.

Have you had any surgery on your cervix? do they know why you got problem? i had treatment for pre cancerous cells.

No I havent had any treatment or surgery maybe its just one of those things for me but I will find out more on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back