screaming baby... Please help

tinkerbates

Reaction score
My LO is 6 weeks old today and is already on 7oz of formula though sometimes only takes 6. He usually goes about 4.5-5 hours between feeds. However, today he has managed less than 4 hours between each feed and has been sick a fair bit in between, though it's not bothered him at all.

Anyway, he went less than 3 hours between his last 2 feeds and woke up literally hysterical. He was screaming and going purple in the face. He wasn't mouthing for food though.

We tried everything to settle him, burped him, massage his tum, change him, Cuddles, swaddled him, gave him some cooled boiled water. By the time we had done all that he was chewing his fist so we fed him and he has taken just over 3oz and has now calmed down.

It was so horrible for him to be in so much distress. Does anyone have any ideas what could have upset him so much and also has anyone got a baby with such a huge appetite? Xx

I would be inclined to say try smaller feeds more often. 7oz might be a bit too much for him if he's bringing some back up. It could be the big feeds and bringing them back up is giving him a bit of reflux which might be whats upsetting him.

I've tried doing that but any less than just over 5oz he screams for more. I don't know if there are any distraction techniques I could use maybe? X

I've tried doing that but any less than just over 5oz he screams for more. I don't know if there are any distraction techniques I could use maybe? X

Maybe just try him with 5oz feeds every 3 hours? I've heard with reflux babies sometimes cry like they want more after a feed.

My LO is 3 months and being a bit fussy with his feeds at the moment. I had thought he was teething, but our GP now thinks it could be reflux. Whatever it is, he seems happier since we moved him from 7-8oz four hourly feeds to 5-6oz three hourly feeds.

When my baby was 6 weeks she did the same. Fed much more regularly and cried and cried hysterically. I found the hours from 5-8 were the worst. We'd have to rock her to sleep.
That lasted about a week and a half and was actually a growth spurt.

If he hasn't got silent reflux, I would be inclined to think its the 6 week growth spurt?

Last edited:
Also to add my lo was sick right at the beginning of that growth spurt too. I thought she had reflux but it lasted a few days. She then did the exact same thing at 12 weeks.

Hey Tinkerbates, how did you get on with J? Im in the same situation as you at the moment...we just cant get our heads round why JJ screams so much sometimes...we go through the checklist time and time again, but sometimes nothing seems to settle him at all.

Can only assume he is coming out of this 2nd leap...maybe your J is coming out of his first leap a little late...? xxx

Hey Chezza, he ended up finishing his 7oz after a little nap then we bathed him which he loved. We then put him down at 8ish and he slept until 2am. Took 7oz without a fuss, took about half an hour to nod off again and slept until 6am. Well, he was in a foul mood when he woke up! Took 7oz and whined and fussed until having a 10 minute nap, after which he woke up screaming for more so he took another 7oz at 9am! Was still mouthing for more after that but I managed to pacify him and he fell asleep. HV came and he woke up cos of the front door slamming so started screaming again, wouldn't calm down at all. Hv asked if he was due a feed! Definitely not! Anyway I risked taking him out shopping with me and he fell asleep, he has now gone 6 hours without a feed and is still flat out!

We are just stumped as to why he is so all over the place xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back