school admissions how do you choose?

katey123

Reaction score
Hi ladies ,
Right, my three year is ready for pre school, the nearest school to my address says I'm not in it's catchment area ,and therefore unlikely to get a place before 2015 when she'll no longer need it the staff are so rude and unhelpful.:shakehead:

The next nearest is attached to the primary which I had to remove my older children from as their education was so far behind they are still catching up now 4 to 5 years on. The staff are really polite and helpful.:lol:

My third option is well over a 45 mins walk and there is no parking anywhere nearby either but is the best OFSTED rated pre school in the area and it would put her in what I would call a better primary school later on too. The staff are helpful enough but I'd be walking back and fourth all morning every morning.:roll:

What do you rate as more important access, staff, OFSTED reports? I'm not sure how I'm going to decide what to do . Any advise very welcome or how did you decide. thanks for reading xx

I walk 1 1/2 hours to my lg pre school as it was the only one I liked !

My two went to our nearest pre-school which is out of catchment and the oldest starts reception there in sept too! We're lucky that both that and our catchment are outstanding! I'd say go and have a look around and see where you get s better feeling! Sometimes the ones that are better on paper don't feel right when you go! Also, preschool's totally different to school application so going to the preschool wouldn't guarantee a place at the school. But for a preschool place, I'd choose somewhere where you think the kids will have fun and ve supported in a nurturing environment - educational value of the school doesn't really count for much at that stage, although it does help lol! For me though it would e more down to the staff!

I chose my sons pre-school because it was attached to the school I wanted him to go to which happened to be in our catchment area.
The school and nursery were both inspected this year and received outstanding by OFSTEAD.

We applied for my sons place and were granted a place but a lot of children out of the catchment area were refused a place due to over subscription. So they are having to leave their friends and go to another primary.

It's a tough decision, I spent hours looking at OFSTEAD reports.

Thanks for your advise , I've been mulling it over and I've rechecked the OFSTED reports the second school has a higher rating than the third one so I'm beginning to think it may be better the devil you know so to speak and if the school are friendly and helpful that must help with nipping things in the bud so not to end as before with my older kids . xx

I chose the one that was in our catchment area and have to be honest, I never checked any reports, just didn't think to. However I am so glad I never checked reports, as have since found out reports for previous years were awful and they were under performing, (one report actually said, "There is no evidence of any learning within this facility") but when my daughter started there was new management, who have worked so hard with the children this year and they are absolutely thriving. All reports done this year have come back as outstanding and I could honestly not praise the staff enough for everything they have done. It's now one of the best, (I'd go as far as to say THE best) playgroups in my area x

I went and visited and took my son with me for both prep school and primary school which he starts in September.
I looked around chatted to treachers and totally went with my gut feeling of what felt right and how my son reacted to being there. Luckily the school we choose was the nearest / in walking distance and we got accepted.
I would also have alook at ofsted reports.
e.g the school we choose was 'in special measures' but that isnt a bad thing - that means it is getting lots of time and money injected into making it tip top.
Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back