Scared in Spain - advice needed

gemma.williams

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Im 12+5 days pregnant (according to calculators), aged 31 and I live in Madrid, Spain where Ive been having problems with getting to see a doctor.

I had an early scan (privately as the public health system wouldnt allow it) at 8 weeks which showed a heartbeat and everything looked ok. This was because I just had to know it was alive before going on hol!

I then went away for 3 weeks, and have since been waiting for an appointment for nearly 2 weeks (still nothing has been scheduled) Im so nervous because:
1. I am terrified that Ive had a missed miscarriage (ive had nausea and sore nipples and I feel bigger - but I think that might be due to eating constantly to tame the sickness! - and no bleeding or pain) - what are the chances of this happening? Will all of the respect and love in the world, Id really appreciate not hearing about individual cases as this is what got me so worried in the first place, just more of a statistic/likelihood would be amazing.
2. I believe theres only a certain window of time when they can do certain prenatal tests for diseases - does anyone know about this? I.e. What tests they are and what is the time limit. I dont know whether I should push to see someone sooner.

Thank you so much for any advice, Im so nervous as its my first pregnancy and I havent been able to ask my boyfriends mum these type of questions as my Spanish isnt perfect!
:)

If I remember right the chances of a MC are only about 2% oncee you get past 8 weeks and see a heart beat.

Usually you would do your dating scan before 14 weeks. After that its harder to be sure of how far along you are because babies grow at different rates.

Last edited:
Hello lovely, I had a missed miscarriage but I know you don't want to hear about that so all I will say is the info on it that I read.

Statistically a missed miscarriage occurs in 1% of pregnancies. Sometimes symptoms disappear or decrease as the hormone levels go down and brown spotting can also be indicative of hormone levels decreasing. However, please don't read too much into that because lots of pregnancies can cause spotting and be absolutely fine.

You have absolutely no reason (from the info you put in your post) to suggest you need to be worried although it's easier said than done to stop worrying!

Hope you get to see a doctor soon xxxx

Low chance of missed miscarriage. I was terrified too, but don't look up the chances... It'll drive you crazy (not because there is a strong chance, but because different sources say different things).
Because you haven't seen anyone, it probably aye on your mind more, but you've seen a heartbeat. Great odds after having seen one, especially as it sounds like it was very early on.
Diseases?
They do that at the 12 weeks scan, but not sure about exact time period... Maybe up to 14 weeks but ask a medical professional. Here, they only look for measurements to tell odds of Downs syndrome and the other genetic diseases, then 20 week scan is the anomaly scan where they look at all organs etc. and check everything, so that bit, you're in plenty of time for.
Good luck.x

I would avoid trying to see a doctor and just contAct your local midwifery team telling them you are getting to the cut off time for screening so need to be seen asap. Not sure if that would work in Spain but definitely works in the UK. Xxzx

I might be wrong but I don't think the care is MW led in Spain, meaning you have to book a doctors appointment for any tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back