Scans and how many ?

Aries29

Reaction score
So I'm in north wales UK. Apparently we only have 2 scans now unless there is further issues or complications .
I'm 11 weeks and still awaiting my dating scan date. I've called the department but they are fully booked for another 4 weeks . So I'll be 15 weeks before I even have my first scan. On the phone they told me to expect a scan date nearer to 16 weeks !!!. I thought the first scan was usually between 8-12 weeks or something like that .

Does that seem a little long to wait ?
With my last child 10 year ago I had seen a midwife and had a scan by time I was 8-9 weeks

I think the maternity services must be buckling with nhs cuts and obviously more pregnancys

Last edited:
I'm in England so it may be different but you are meant to be seen at 12 weeks now for the downs screening. So I'm not sure if they will still do it at 16 weeks. But obviously you will get your dating scan.
I'm 8+4 and I've seen my midwife at GP and had my booking in appointment. And I've had a dating scan appointment for about a month. I would definitely make a complaint or transfer to a different hospital if possible. Xx

Oh and we only get 2 scans. 12 and 20 weeks. But I've had issues early on so I've had 3 already. And my first child I had IUGR so I will get 3 growth scans later. Xx

If you are keen to have a dating scan it really needs to be done before 16 weeks. 15+6 is the "cut off" for accurately dating going by size, so definitely chase it up and see if you can get seen earlier if it's that important to you.

I have chosen not to have scans this pregnancy. I had my booking in appointment at 13 weeks exact (by LMP date).

With my first (12 years ago) you only got a scan at around 20 weeks (no dating scan). With my second (10yrs ago) I had a dating scan at about 12 weeks because my cycles had been varying lengths before getting pregnant (really short then really long, then conceived). But from memory the scan dates almost exactly matched my LMP date, maybe out by a day or two at most.

Last edited:
Im in wales, but Cardiff.

Here and i believe the whole nhs will only offer 2 scans. Dating then 20wk scan, only more if emergencies arise or to rule things out from previous pregnancies etc x

I have had more nhs scans but they r due to emergencies. Early scans to rule out ectopic, bleeding, had a fall and then later ones in tri 3 due to baby being breech and also growth check as bump was measuring bigger.

Both times my datif scans were 11wks. 15/16 is defo to late!!!!!!! Plus if ur opting for downs checks this i thought had to be done by 13wks to measure the folds on neck?
So id keep on for a slot! Xx

Last edited:
England too. Also 2 scans. 12 weeks & 20 weeks.

You can have extra if there's cause for concern or pay for private ones. I got a HD one last time x

It's terrible that you have to wait so long for your first scan as they do need to do the testing before 16 weeks I'm sure. I would ring up and discuss it with your midwife.

I have paid for extra private scans and if my '12 week scan' was more like 16 weeks I would go and pay for one. X

No way could I wait until 16 weeks sure you're almost half way through by then, I paid for an early private scan I've had so many miscarriages I just needed to see something and connect to the baby at least if I lost it later id have my pic to look at and know they were real, my next scan is at 12 weeks, 16 is far too long to wait deffo get on to them or tell the, you're away on holiday for a few weeks and they need to take you sooner

Thanks for responses , I'll ring them and ask if they have had any cancellations as I can try and squeeze in then

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back