Salt dough

Maud

Reaction score
With my first we made salt dough footprints at the children's centre. As it has now closed ( :-( ) we have made them ourselves at home this time. I looked at recipes online and went with 1 cup flour, 1 cup salt, half cup water. The recipe says to bake for 3-4 hours at gas mark 0.5. Our oven doesn't go lower than 1 so we started with that and the first piece rose and browned! So we switched the bottom oven on at GM1 and put them in the top oven. They are very slowly drying out, but we've had them in there the best part of 2 days now (obv not when we've been out, asleep or using oven for baking) and they still aren't fully hardened!! Is there some secret we haven't found online for how to dry this stuff?!

Well we decided to take a punt and have painted the first even though it doesn't look or feel fully dry to me. I think where it rose it has made it too thick so am really hoping it isn't going to just break in half when it's hung up as it's a gift! The other two are a bit thinner and do look a lot better. I can't believe everyone who makes salt dough leaves them in the oven for that long though...

My salt dough never dried out... It's still squishy a year later! x

That's reassuring. I just don't want it falling off the wall!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back