Safe to use in pregnancy?

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by Sarah W Baby Belly, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Sarah W Baby Belly

Sarah W Baby Belly Well-Known Member

There are a few cosmetic type things that i have stopped using, and i just wondered what you might have heard about them and are you using them? etc

Nail varnish and remover
    Hair dye (permanent or semi perm)
    Hair removal creams / hair lightening creams

What do you think?

2. Guest

Permanant hair dye before 12 weeks is not recommended as you could become allergic to it. My Auntie owns a salon and they now have these sticky on things (like teproray tattoo's) which test if you will have a reaction. I will use one of these to check before I dye. Check to see if your local salons have them? It's a new law to have them now in salons before they ever dye your hair - PG or not). I'm desprae to dye my hair! Black with blonde roots is not a good look trust me!

Anything which can be absorbed by then skin is not good and should be cautious about. Semi permanant hair dye doesn't sit on your scalp as long - it's permanent which is the main concern.

Nail varnish and remover are both fine, hair lightening probably should be avoided till 12 weeks due to skin reactions. Hair removal cream should be fine anytime as long as you always do a skin test every time you use it - even if you have used it before as your skin type can change whilst pregnant.

HTH! xx

3. Zor-El

Zor-El Well-Known Member

im a hairdresser and although ive never had a pg lady have a reaction its always best to test b4 u dye hair :D

4. minikins

minikins Well-Known Member

On TV today I heard Mirium Stoppard (pg advice type person) saying don't use any hair dye semi or perm as there are chemicals in both that are absorbed into the scalp and are not ideal to be in the blood stream.

5. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Does this count for highlighting cos that doesn't touch your scalp?

6. joan

joan Well-Known Member

7. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Great article Joan, wont cancel that appointment just yet...

8. Guest

Thank you for that article Joan!!

- Right - I'll have to remember not to drink it this time - just out it on my head :wink: :lol: (I am only kidding) Yay bye bye blonde roots - welcome back black hair!