Ruby Mae. C-Section birth story **Warning with graphic pics*

Moomum

Reaction score
Well - I eventually got round to writing my birth story. Hopefully, the pics at the end won't offend anyone :D

We leave for the hospital at 6.30 am. We were told to be there for 7.30 am. The weather is dreadful. It’s teaming with rain and the traffic is awful. Arrived at delivery suite just in time. The Midwife on duty, showed us to the recovery room. This is where we would be holding our baby in just a few hours time! An elective Caesarean section had been booked for today 5th December 2007.

Apparently, there were two other sections booked for today and they would let us know in which order they were performing them later. They gave us both gowns to wear, so were ready for the event, whenever the surgeon was. My blood pressure was taken and unfortunately, it was through the roof! They decided to take blood and send it for analysis, just to check for problems. I was told at this point that I would be last in theatre. Oh well, I don’t suppose it could be helped and I would still get to meet my baby today – or so we thought!! The day went from bad to worse and to cut a long story short, due to umpteen emergencies, my section was cancelled and I was sent home that evening, having waited patiently all day and told to come back in the morning.

We were absolutely devastated. Maisy was expecting to meet her brother or sister today, straight after school, I’d even had a personalised card made for her saying congratulations on becoming a big sister 5th December 2007. She was so disappointed.

6th December 2007

Arrived at St Michaels by 7.00am! We wanted to get ahead of the game! I had a good feeling about today. We were given our gowns to change into and an anaesthetist came in to speak to us and run through the procedure. She was lovely. She made us feel so relaxed. She asked if I had any concerns and I told her that the only request I had with regard to the anaesthetic, was that I wanted to sit up, rather than lay down, while she was putting in the spinal. We were than visited by the surgeon himself. He said he was so sorry about the fiasco yesterday and assured us that he would take extra special care of us today. He said there weren’t any emergencies and only one other planned section. We would be first down! When he asked if we had anything we wanted to discuss, I hit him with my list! I wanted my own music, I wanted skin to skin immediately after the baby was born, Dave wanted skin to skin if this wasn’t possible, I didn’t want to be told the gender by anyone other than Dave and most of all I wanted the screen to be dropped after they had prepared me, so that Dave could watch our baby come into the world and take photographs. He agreed.

So, it’s around 8.30 and a member of the surgical team came into our room and told us that it was time. I got off of the bed and followed him to the door just as a midwife burst in and announced that there had been an emergency, and we wouldn’t be able to go now! We were told it would be another hour or so! Not again! This can’t be happening! Anyway, we waited and then at around 9.30 am it was all systems go. It really was my turn!

We walked into Theatre. The room is full of people. The lights are so bright. I am shaking uncontrollably. I’ve been through this before, I know what to expect, but it doesn’t make it any easier! My CD is playing and with Dave’s help and also the relaxed attitude of the surgical team, I start to calm down. My spinal is sited while I am sitting up and it only took a few moments before starting to take effect. They continue to prepare me and check that I am fully numb. I grip Dave’s hand in fear and anticipation of what is about to happen. All I can think about is whether the camera is ready and if they remember to drop the screen!

They make the first incision, which I cannot feel at all. After a few minutes at work, down comes the screen and Dave gets to his feet, camera at the ready. I keep thinking how brave he is to watch. I’d have been on the floor! I can feel lots of pushing and tugging. No pain, just a weird sensation. Then, out of the blue, and totally unexpected, I hear a gurgled cry! I ask if it’s out yet and was told no. The baby’s head was out and was squealing already!! I was totally overwhelmed by this and started blubbing straight away. A couple more minutes elapsed and she was out! Dave announced that we have a girl! Amazing! I was convinced she was a boy! Emotion just enveloped me as I see our beautiful daughter lifted into the air. Unbelievable. Wonderful. Amazing. Welcome to the world Ruby! The Midwife takes her over for a quick check and a few seconds later, she is back with me and being placed inside my gown for skin to skin. She is even rooting for the breast. I was able to keep her with me for ages, just like I wanted. She hadn’t even been weighed at this point. The midwife eventually came to take her and I thought she was going to weigh her, but she actually wanted to give Dave a chance to have skin to skin with her! The day was evolving just as I would have wanted and all of my wishes were being granted. It was just perfect! After I was stitched up and given pain relief, I was taken to recovery where I was given help with breastfeeding, which came very naturally to both of us. All in all it was a wonderful experience.

A gurgled cry as she makes her way into the world!
BabyRuby012.jpg

Here at last!
BabyRuby013.jpg

Cutting the cord.
BabyRuby014.jpg

BabyRuby045.jpg

ruby022.jpg

Oh wow, that's amazing! I've never actually seen photo's of a real c-section. Mind you, she must have good lungs too

What an adorable baby and I love her name.

Congrats xx

awww I am sorry that she wasn't born on the day you were expecting but wow; what a birth story and I think your pictures are amazing.

Congratulations and welcome to the world Ruby :D

Oh wow, what amazing photos.......

And she is beautiful, congrats xxxx

love the photos........... and she is just so gorgeous :clap:

OMG...THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting those amazing pictures! I've never seen pictures like it. Ali didn't look when I was having my c-section so they really gave me an insight in to what it must've been like when Tom was born. They are really beautiful pictures. And don't even get me started on that little pudding! She is GORGEOUS!

LucyBee said:
OMG...THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting those amazing pictures! I've never seen pictures like it. Ali didn't look when I was having my c-section so they really gave me an insight in to what it must've been like when Tom was born. They are really beautiful pictures. And don't even get me started on that little pudding! She is GORGEOUS!

You're welcome flower. I'm glad you enjoyed looking at them. I have more if you're interested. I think they're beautiful too. I could look at them all day :roll:

Josephine_Beth said:
Oh wow, that's amazing! I've never actually seen photo's of a real c-section.

Congrats xx

I havent either and having had 2 its quite nice to see it from the tummy end.

Well done hun :cheer:

those photos are incredible hon!! congratulations again xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back