Rubella

Leighsa

Reaction score
Hi I think my son might have rubella, I did take him to doctor today but they said it was to soon to tell. I'm 30weeks pregnant and not immune to the virus do you think I should be concerned?

Why did you not ask the doctor.. People are generally immune to Rubella because they had the MMR as children, some do seem to wane that's when you should've been offered the MMR, they should've tested and advised this during and after your first pregnancy...?

I dont blame you for being concerned but I think you are past the worry time. This might help:

The risk of congenital defects has been reported to be 90% when maternal infection occurs before 11 weeks of gestation, 33% at 11–12 weeks, 11% at 13–14 weeks, 24% at 15–16 weeks, and 0% after 16 weeks. Therefore, the risk of congenital defects after maternal infection is essentially limited to the first 16 weeks of gestation. Little, if any, risk of CRS is associated with infection beyond 20 weeks
it came from here:
http://sogc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/guiJOGC203CPG0802.pdf

Last edited:
It's actually very hard to know whether you are or are not immune to a disease, other than the proof of not catching it.

As far back as the 50s there was a study done on nurses dealing with patients with Diptheria which showed that even though the nurses had very low levels of diptheria antibodies, they were not getting sick. Whilst the patients who were ill with it mostly had antibody levels far higher than what should have meant they were immune.
Titre tests are not reliable because immunity depends on T memory cells rather than just antibody levels.

The cause of rubella is a virus that's passed from person to person. It can spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
You must revisit the doctor .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back