Rotavirus

tambo1976

Reaction score
Took Scott for his jabs today and was told they are now offering immunisation against Rotavirus. It isn't an injection, it's a dropper in the mouth. First one at 8 weeks 2nd at 12.

I'll be honest and tell you I declined until I know more about it. The Doctor said he can have it at 12 and 15 weeks if I still want it done. The reasons why I declined, I don't know anything about it, never even heard of it and it has only been offered from the 1st July (2 days ago) and its never been given in this country before.

I'm going to have a good read up on it but just wondered if any of you have any information on it.

Opinions appreciated :) x

We have to pay alot of money for the rotavirus here so we are not having it, unless we have to, because some creches wont take kids in unless they have it. I havent researched the vaccine to be honest, i am one who tends to just trust in the medical professionals, but if it was free i would vaccinate them. Rotavirus is awful.

O had his first set of drops this morning for the Rotavirus. I had been made aware of it by my HV a few months ago so I had time to read & reassure myself. xx

JJ had his first jabs this morning...and this wasnt even mentioned to us...I wonder why...?

Hope Scott is ok after his jabs? xx

There's info here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262725.php and here: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/rotavirus-vaccine.aspx

I was told about it a couple of weeks ago, not that it's applicable to my LO but I guess my newborn will be offered it early next year.

Rotovirus is a stomach bug causing diarrhoea, vomiting and dehydration. Both the articles above indicate that 1 in 5 children with it will need to see their doctor with it and out of these 1 in 10 will need hospitalization. It can cause death in a "very small" number of cases (they don't say how many). Stomach bugs can be minimized/prevented by really good hygiene, but experts are suggesting the vaccine is better.

The first article does include a bit about side effects of the vaccine: Rotarix may contribute to a small increased risk of intussusception within seven days of vaccination, possibly 2 cases per 100,000 first doses given. Intussusception is a condition of the intestines that can occur naturally, when a section of the bowel folds in on itself, creating a blockage.

Obviously 2 in 100,000 is a very small number of children.

I have absolutely no idea whether I'd go for it or not. I think it might depend if I have another tiny preemie because the risk of severe dehydration is probably worse the smaller the baby is?

JJ had his first jabs this morning...and this wasnt even mentioned to us...I wonder why...?

Hope Scott is ok after his jabs? xx

Thats odd? I reckon you should call and ask your HV see why you wasn't offered it x

Scott's fine thankyou :) he's sound asleep and has been for a few hours. Just a quick scream and he fell back to sleep luckily. Hope JJ is ok :hug:

Interesting to read views on it, not had chance to read up yet but thanks for the link x

I would do it personally, my little boy got norovirus and that was bad enough.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Just spoke to my Dr surgery...JJ wasnt and wont be offered this immunisation because he was born before 1st May! :eh:

Last edited:
Just spoke to my Dr surgery...JJ wasnt and wont be offered this immunisation because he was born before 1st May! :eh:

Bizarre... maybe April babies have more immunity?! :eh:

Both of my boys are too old but having watched Jack go through norovirus last October and ending up in hospital overnight on a drip i'd let them have it if i could. I've never seen him so poorly and dread either one of them getting it again x

O was born before the 1st May '13. :-/ He got in there today by 2 days. I was keen for him to get it because of all the horrific experiences other people have told me.

Tbh after seeing what it did to my son I would have it done! It caused my son to have 3 fits a 3 day stay in hospital and over 2 months of hospital visits and tests! Saying that the dr said my sons case is rare and some children don't even have any symptoms if try have it but everyone's had it at some point he said!

Rotavirus is a standard vaccine where Ilive. Rotavirusis nasty and can take small babie sdown so quickly, my baby had his doses. I would have paid privately for him to get it if it wasn't part of the routine schedule.

I think it just means Chezza's bub is too old lol.

Although as someone else said her child was allowed to have it despite technically being 'too old' by a few days?

Sounds like Chezza's Dr's are strict with their cut off points?

xxxx

Last edited:

Although as someone else said her child was allowed to have it despite technically being 'too old' by a few days?

xxxx

Yes, they said they have to have a cut off date and stick to it! Im thinking another call might be in order now as I'm a litle worried! (Neurotic mother lol!)

Did any other bubbas get offered this immunisation with a birthdate prior to 1st May...? xx

Chezza, I don't know why your place made the cut off date the 1st May births. I was just told that if he was 15w or older then he wouldn't get it because he wouldn't benefit from it. i should have asked why! The clinics were to start next week. I explained to HV I was a bit ticked off that O was missing out on it so she gave him it today. He's 15w on Friday.

My friends little boy had rotavirus back in March and having seen what it does I would get the drops. He was so poorly and ended up in hospital but he had horrible convulsions and was shaking all over. But like has been said I want want to research a bit more rather than it just being sprung on me.

xxxx

Yes, they said they have to have a cut off date and stick to it! Im thinking another call might be in order now as I'm a litle worried! (Neurotic mother lol!)

Did any other bubbas get offered this immunisation with a birthdate prior to 1st May...? xx

If they are not going to offer it to Evan because he was born 3 days before the cut off then they obviously are not overly concerned by it. I would consider having them if they offer, but if they don't offer I will not worry xx

I would do it personally, my little boy got norovirus and that was bad enough.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

me too. Freya got it at 7mnths, and it was horrific!! She got so thin so quickly (she wasnt chunky to start with)

my nephew got it at 6weeks old, he was in hospital for 4 days and nearly died.

I do understand the fear though of such a new vaccination

Well funnily enough, I received an appt for this immunisation through the post this morning! Am going to try and research it...but what does everyone else think - worth doing or not?? Thanks ladies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back