Room temperature

Nic36

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I am having major worries about the temperature of our room.
The nursery is a fairly warm room, and the Gro egg thermometer is usually in the nice 18 degree safe zone. But our bedroom is absolutely freezing - the ceiling is so high the room cannot say warm. :( It always has been, no matter how long or high the central heating is on the room never gets warm. LO will be sleeping in with us for the first few months and I am worrying the room is too cold. I am considering getting a convector heater, but don't know how effective that will be. Or wil it be ok to just wrap LO up extra warm and snug in her Moses basket? I keep thinking that when I was little the house was cold - didn't have central heating and it didn't harm me - just a few extra blankets and it was fine. What would you ladies do? Thanks for any advice. :)

I have had the same worries. Particularly this week with it being so cold. When I spoke to my mum she said how do you think we all managed when you were little we didn't have central heating only old storage heaters and when my mum was a baby all my nan had was a coal fire in the front room!!! I suppose they are right. I have got some long sleeve vests, lots of warm babygros, mittens, socks, hats and will layer with blankets etc plus I have grobags too.

We are the same our bedroom is nice and warm fro egg always has smiley face but the nursary is freezing it was down at 11 degrees the othr day we are just going to use more blankets and a fro bag ( Asda got some of the 2.5 tog ones on sale for £12 ATM) when mum was born her bedroom would have ice on the inside of the windows and she was fine so figure our baby will be too. Think we will keep our bedroom on the cooler side while baby is in with us so its not a shock when she does move into her own room. Xx

For some reason don't like the word gro lol xx

It's better to be too cold than too hot I think hun.

Your LO will let you know if they are not comfortable and you can add extra layers etc plus the room will be heated with 3 people in there a bit as well.

I was worried my room was too hot. Turns out its just me who is hot! Lol

Yes, I think plenty of blankets will make sure she is snug. I have bought a fleecy swaddling blanket too, so thought I would swaddle her in that then I have extra blankets. I always worry about the temperature cos I am always cold - apart from now - first time in my life I am warmer than everyone else!! Lol. But once LO is out I will be back to being freezing cold again!
They never had this 18 degree thing when I was born - and like you say mummy2be, I remember a time when there was ice on the inside of the single glazed windows! Just need to be aware it is cold and dress LO up that bit warmer! Thanks everyone for the advice! :)

In our antenatal class we were told that too cold is a lot less of a problem than too hot. Over heating is one of the contributing reasons for cot death, not leaving the baby too chilly. Putting extra clothes and blankets on should do the trick! Just make sure you don't over compensate with too many layers because you're worried!

I'd steer clear of the heater. We had them for a few months when our boiler broke, and a room can heat up really quickly. Our mw said last week it's better to use layers than change heating - cos it can take ages to get a room to cool down. If bubs gets too hot you just take a layer or two off. Xxx

I'd steer clear of the heater. We had them for a few months when our boiler broke, and a room can heat up really quickly. Our mw said last week it's better to use layers than change heating - cos it can take ages to get a room to cool down. If bubs gets too hot you just take a layer or two off. Xxx

Oh that's really interesting - so the MW recommends more layers rather than a heater :) definitely thin that is the best option. Cheaper too - rather than buying a heater and having it on all night. Thanks! :)

I think just more blankets, at least you can remove the blankets if it starts to warm up, or if lo is poorly. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back