rings?

leckershell

Reaction score
What's the difference between engagement rings / eternity rings / solitaire rings..? Girl's rings, not blokes.

I mean I know one is for engagement etc etc :rotfl:

I mean to look at. Cos they all look very similar to me, with stones in. If I saw a "engagement ring" would it be wrong for it to be bought as an eternity ring?

Do you know what I'm getting at.. is there something specific about them in any way or is any ring with a stone in it good for any occasion? If you can use any ring for any occasion, why on jewellery websites are they split into engagement/eternity/solitaire instead of "rings with stones in"...

:think: help? :think:

This confuses me too, Brad had a ring made for me when he proposed and I chose the design, just 5 simple diamonds in a row, but everyone we spoke to since said its the style of an eternity ring.
Then we spoke to Brads Aunty Dot who is bonkers but really into antiques and jewellry and she says that in the victorian times all engagement rings had 5 stones to represent the words "will you be my wife" I dont know how true that is but I like the idea!

I personally think the only person who can determine the meaning of a ring is the one giving it!!!

I think an eternity ring is one where there are quite alot of stones going right across (sorry not described well!), a Solitaire is one stone & engagement can be whatever I think :oops:

Sorry if I'm wrong

My engagment ring was a cubic zirconia from argos and i couldnt care less, hen my husband proposd to me it could have been a ring pull - it was a symbol of love and that he wanted to marry me.

Is your oh hinting then michelle???

mrs_tommo22 said:

Unfortunately not, I was just looking as I'm considering selling an old engagement ring from a previous boyf. If he was hinting I wouldn't give a dam if it was a hula hoop - it's the meaning behind it that would count :)

leckershell said:
mrs_tommo22 said:

Unfortunately not, I was just looking as I'm considering selling an old engagement ring from a previous boyf. If he was hinting I wouldn't give a dam if it was a hula hoop - it's the meaning behind it that would count :)

Yep get it sold, I had one of an ex & kept it for years, was having a tidy out & my OH saw it & threw it in the bin, really regret not selling it & making some money out of him :rotfl:

I looked on ebay though, and its a gorgeous ring which would be a pity to sell it for like £20 or something. It didn't cost that much but it's very individual as hand made.

Traditionally these are what i think of as the ring types...

engagement/ Solitaire rings are like this:

PlainSolitaire.jpg

eternity are like this usually:

images%5Cfull%5C1L.jpg

Some people have "half" eternity rings, as in like half stones or full stones, stones all the way round...

BUT on that note, you dont typically have to use it for that purpose...

I wouldnt sell ya ring on the 'bay tho, Ive seen some STUNING rings go for pennies...

I've always been a chunky silver girl but as I'm getting older I think I'd like a big sparkler.

Not getting engaged or married though, an eternity ring would be nice though....

...what are you girls doing to me....I'm becoming almost...dare I say it...normal :rotfl:

I would take it to a jewellery place.

If you lived near Birmingham I would say take it to the Jewellery quarter. My brother works there as a setter (he puts the diamonds in the rings) and people always give him stuff to get valued.

I would say that 3 stones is an engagement ring. 1 stone represents your past, 1 is your present and 1 is your future.

Eternity is 5 stones, which represent health, wealth, happiness etc I think

Dunno really. My engagement ring has 3 stones and I like to think that is what it means. Not allowed an eternity ring is 2 is enough apparently :roll:

better to get something for it though? seen as you didnt pay for it either... i have a eternity ring as my wedding ring..

weddingprof082.jpg

totally off topic.. but like mrs tommo said.. b**lox to what people say is traditional..u should always get what you like. mine are lush .. love them to bits.. sjut wish my podgy fingers would hurry up n let me wear them again miss them lol

eternity rings traditionly have stones going all the way around to mean eternity, but there is half eternity rings that cost less, engadgment ring can be any thing you want really.

mine looks like this.... was suprised at OH to find such a nice one
5787661.jpg

mine is an emerald diamond ring as emerald is my fav colour, solitaire is just the name of the way the diamond is cut (has lots of faces to it, which makes it sparkle more then any other cut)

Urchin said:
I would take it to a jewellery place.

If you lived near Birmingham I would say take it to the Jewellery quarter. My brother works there as a setter (he puts the diamonds in the rings) and people always give him stuff to get valued.

I got it resized at the jewellery quarter :) I could try that though yeah, I'll be in brum in a couple of weeks doing my theory test.

mrs_tommo22 said:
My engagment ring was a cubic zirconia from argos and i couldnt care less, hen my husband proposd to me it could have been a ring pull - it was a symbol of love and that he wanted to marry me.

I did actually get a ring pull once,on a chain,a symbol of love from my first boyfriend,when i was 12.I wasn't impressed.I was slightly more impressed when he gave me the guitar plec he got from Metallica at their gig he went to,but only cause sold it to my mate for a fiver.Ro,ance is not dead.

As for rings,I'd like one of these for engagement or marriage (ha)
I love the Claddagh design.

429-rs00970-Yellow.jpg

Thats pretty zebrastripes!!!

Im a diehard silver fan, and white gold!

I love white gold.My mum's wedding ring is white and red gold,with a celtic design round it.It was made specially for her and it's so gorgeous

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back