Rhesus negative blood

fairyprincess

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

So MW has just told me I'm rhesus negative. I've heard of this but don't know much about it and can't make much sense of what I've read online. Basically, she said later on she'll give me a jab.

Anyone had this or can shed some more light on the situation?

Thanks x

Search under anti d injection in pregnancy. I'm in the same boat. It's to protect future pregnancies as you will become sensitised this pregnancy. Basically it prevents your immune system rejecting a positive blood type in future pregnancies. Nothing to be concerned about & highly recommended to have it I believe from 28 weeks.

im rhesus neg too, ive heard its only something to really make notes about the second time round. and also it doesnt affect you if baby is the same blood type as you (which you dont find out until birth anyway!)
i just got given an injection at 28 weeks, think you get another after labour and you should really go in and get checked/an injection if you bang your bump at any point.

the midwife described it to me as, my blood could poison my baby... im fairly sure she was being a BIT melodramatic though. i had a massive bleed at birth last time and we're both absolutely fine :) xxx

Same here. Stupidly common - but I'd never heard of such a thing before becoming pregnant! Injection at 28 weeks, another at birth. If you have any knocks, bumps or bleeding you will need to contact your GP to inform them and may need some extra jabs

Thanks ladies, then it doesn't sound like something to worry about in 1st pregnancy unless there's a bleed. I know my friend had it and it caused her ds to be in hosp for nearly a week after he was born so they could monitor him as he was poorly. I wonder why this happened to her? Will have to ask her the specifics x

I'm negative too. Was told the only real complications cone if baby is positive, so they give you a shot at 28 as a precaution. Ultimately it makes not one blind bit of difference. On the up side, they used to give it in the bum, but have changed it so now the injection is jn the arm. IV had 2, and the one in the bum defo hurts more, so always good that the protocol has changed!!

You can decline it.
If your OH is also negative there is no need at all for it, and actually it's controversial giving it at all.

If you do a google search for "RhoGam healthy home economist" it should bring up some interesting articles.

Personally I'd research it carefully before deciding to consent.

Hey Hun I am negative blood group too, had a few injections as I fell and had to have a standard one anyways. My DS turned out to be a positive blood group so it's good I did have the jab for this pregnancy.

Seems it's more common than I thought! Xx

I'm rhesus negative, had antiD at 28 weeks, when my daughter was born turns out she was also ONeg so didn't need another one after birth x

Last edited:
I am o negative too, my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage so had an anti D then to protect future pregnancies. Just had a little girl and she is positive, so I had anti D at 28 weeks pregnant and just after birth. x

the midwife described it to me as, my blood could poison my baby... im fairly sure she was being a BIT melodramatic though.

If not treated with anti-D, baby can develop haemolytic disease of the newborn , which is quite serious, she wasn't being melodramatic at all. It can cause fetal death, Stillbirth or neo-natal death.

Was quite a significant lecture during my first year as a Student Midwife.

Last edited:
the midwife described it to me as, my blood could poison my baby... im fairly sure she was being a BIT melodramatic though.

If not treated with anti-D, baby can develop haemolytic disease of the newborn , which is quite serious, she wasn't being melodramatic at all. It can cause fetal death, Stillbirth or neo-natal death.

Was quite a significant lecture during my first year as a Student Midwife.

No, I mean she said this after being given the anti d! It made me feel a bit faint so I had to sit in her office until I felt better and she came out with that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back