RH negitive & high risk mc !?

sozzy

Reaction score
Hey all...

Just wondering IF having Rh negitive blood causes more complications ... Early bleeds/threatened mc and loss!

I've had 4 pregnancies now... Two threatened Mc and two complete losses all before the 12 week mark and I can't help but think its my blood type O negitive!

Doctors and nurses don't say much but I've been speaking to a few ladies now who are also experiencing losses and are rh negitive too..

Who on here are rh negitive and have also suffered early loss??

Xx

Last edited:
My rehsus negative and I've had 6 children as far as I'm aware this doesn't cause mc , I take it after each loss u had ur injection ? I've never realy worried about my blood group cos all I was told is its ok as long as u have ur injections if u have a bleed or during pregnancy at certain times and after birth , I think problems arise if the fathers blood isn't compatible or summet like that , have u googled ? Loads if info on google about it , I've also had 3 losses over the past 2 yrs and not once have I been told it could be to do with my blood group x

I am rehsus negative and have a 10 month old and expecting again, dont think it causes mc

Hi,

I didn't get offered the anti d injection after each loss or threatened miscarriages.... was only given them at the normal times, in later pregnancy and after the births.

I have googled this subject but its a very mixed reaction...

I'm due to see a nurse this monday for a final scan (i miscarried only last week)...so i am going to ask about the anti d...can't help thinking if id have been given one last week when my bleed was only very light ...it might have stopped it!?

who knows...

thanks for your replies xx

Rh negative blood doesn't cause miscarriage as far as I know Hun. I'm rh neg and its never caused me any problems and I've never heard of it being the cause of miscarriage for anyone else either. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss but it wouldn't have made any difference if you'd have had the anti d so don't torture yourself over the what ifs :hugs: I'm pretty certain that if you have a bleed/miscarriage before 12 weeks you don't have to have anti d unless there is any surgical intervention so as long as you had the routine anti d injections in your successful pregnancies then you should be covered and be absolutely fine xxx

I think they only give it in second tri

I asked about anti-d the other day as I was worried. I was given an anti-d after my MC at 9 weeks and was told that they don't give it for early bleeding before 12 weeks but my hospital does give it for any MC even before 12 weeks.

As for your actual question (sorry I get sidetracked), I haven't had my blood group mentioned to me as a cause for my MC's, and I have carried full term even if it was 14 years ago. I would be questioning why they aren't giving you a anti-d after MC though, even if it is before 12 weeks.

Thanks for all your replies...

Again very mixed.. So I will be asking at my next hospital appointment if I need the anti d.. I guess I am just looking for an answer by questioning the what ifs but you never know eh.. In 10 years time they might find giving anti d's early might save pregnancies ... I'm very opened minded lol.

Xx

So sorry for your loss. I am rh negative and did research about it when I had a bleed at 13 weeks. I diddnot receive the injection and thankfully the pregnancy progressed normally after that. Rh negative is a perfectly normal and health blood trype, it doesnt cause problems in itself. What causes a problem is when someone with rh negative blood is exposed to rh positive blood. This can happen from a blood transfusion or during pregnancy or birth. A babies blood suold never mix with the mothers blood so when things are going right there is no danger of being exposed but sometimes things go wrong during pregnancy and bleeding causes a little of the baby's blood to get into yours. It is even more likely to happen during labour because things can get messy. When a rh negative person is exposed to rh positive blood their body sees it as an invader and creates antibodies to destroy the foreign substance. This rarely causes problens for that pregnancy but the antibodies build up with time and can cause seriouse problems for the next rh positive baby you carry. That is because antibodies naturally pass pass to the baby through the placenta, that is normally a good thing because it helps protect the baby from dieses but in this case it's the baby's blood that your body thinks is a disease and tries to destroy it. Causing enima and other problems in the baby. Anti d prevents you from creating antibodies after you have been exposed to rh positive blood. Once you have the antibodies it is of no help. Rh negative mothers are usually tested at the begining of pregnancy to make sure they are not already sensitized. Your blood type can not harm the baby until after you are sensitized.

Very early in pregnancy the baby has no blood so a chemical pregnancy for example will not cause sensitization. Until 12 weeks the baby has so little blood that it is very unlikely to cause sensitization during a mc or pregnancy bleed. Some doctors prefer to give anti d anyway as a precaution others think there is bo need.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. I am rh negative and did research about it when I had a bleed at 13 weeks. I diddnot receive the injection and thankfully the pregnancy progressed normally after that. Rh negative is a perfectly normal and health blood trype, it doesnt cause problems in itself. What causes a problem is when someone with rh negative blood is exposed to rh positive blood. This can happen from a blood transfusion or during pregnancy or birth. A babies blood suold never mix with the mothers blood so when things are going right there is no danger of being exposed but sometimes things go wrong during pregnancy and bleeding causes a little of the baby's blood to get into yours. It is even more likely to happen during labour because things can get messy. When a rh negative person is exposed to rh positive blood their body sees it as an invader and creates antibodies to destroy the foreign substance. This rarely causes problens for that pregnancy but the antibodies build up with time and can cause seriouse problems for the next rh positive baby you carry. That is because antibodies naturally pass pass to the baby through the placenta, that is normally a good thing because it helps protect the baby from dieses but in this case it's the baby's blood that your body thinks is a disease and tries to destroy it. Causing enima and other problems in the baby. Anti d prevents you from creating antibodies after you have been exposed to rh positive blood. Once you have the antibodies it is of no help. Rh negative mothers are usually tested at the begining of pregnancy to make sure they are not already sensitized. Your blood type can not harm the baby until after you are sensitized.

Very early in pregnancy the baby has no blood so a chemical pregnancy for example will not cause sensitization. Until 12 weeks the baby has so little blood that it is very unlikely to cause sensitization during a mc or pregnancy bleed. Some doctors prefer to give anti d anyway as a precaution others think there is bo need.

Thank you so much for all this information xx

I'm back from my appointment and the nurse confirmed that my blood type doesn't cause early mc :)

I'm just one of the unlucky ones who bleeds in every pregnancy (so far)...many woman do apparently!

Well i thought id be given the all clear today as i had a miscarried 2 weeks ago and today the scan showed it was complete but now i have problems with my lining, its very thick still so i need another scan after my next period and then maybe see a consultant to discuss my options...

Any one had this?

x

Thank you so much for all this information xx

glad I could help a little hun, sorry for all the mistakes, typed it on my phone.

hope things work out for you, hugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back