Reusable Nappies

Juice

Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching to cloth nappies. I know nothing about them and wouldn't even know where to start! Good brands? Brands to avoid? How many would I need? Aaaargh!

Can someone help me out with some info to get me started?

Thanks!

Hi, I had about 25 birth to potty nappies. I decided to give cloth ago after trying some from a local happy livery. I managed to pick up an unused kit of Mio bambino at charity shop for £10 worth around £120 so bargin. I also used totsbots, little lamb and little blooms. Have seen a few other brands but I forget their names the now. Can get quite adictive buying cute cloth nappies as the come in so many patterns and styles.

I've been thinking about this too, just one question; with dirty nappies how do you prep them before putting them in the washing machine, do you have to scrape it into the bin or wash out? Sorry for the weird question but its the only thing putting me off.

I lined nappies with flushable liner. Sometime poo would get on nappie. If solid not a problem just flush. If not I'm afraid you have to scrape.

We use little lambs fitted bamboo ones and they're great! If out for a day though we use naty disposables for convenience. I prefer the fitted to the one size pocket ones - they seem to keep in the wee better. We use the washable liners but also have some disposable - if it's breast milk poo, you can put it straight in the machine as it's water soluble (I was dubious at first, but have had no problems! She doesn't poo too often and I usually get the worst of it on the liner and the nappy goes straight in the machine) and drying on the line in the sun sorts out the stains. After weaning though, you'd need to scrape, and I dunno about formula poo...
With the fitted nappies we have little lamb nappy wraps over the top, but I prefer these merino wool ones from disana that I got - as it's lanolin, you need to treat the wool every now and again, but it actually self cleans, so you don't need to be washing them all the time (Unless it's leaked poo!) and they really keep everything contained and, frankly, look damn cute ;-)

We use TotsBots peenuts and I've also used Nicki's Diapers we like both.

Check out if there are any nappy lending schemes in your area. I borrowed a set of all diff nappies for a month free of charge. I didn't get on with them at all, I know loads of people do but we had so many leaks and nappy rash outbreaks. I'm glad I didn't fork out any money!

Local councils sometimes have a scheme too - leeds does a free sample pack or £30 cash back if you spend £50 on cloth nappies, which we took advantage of! ;-)

I am now mostly using tots bots teenyfits in the day and Little Lamb bamboo nappies at night with a booster and an outer wrap (blueberry coveralls or Imse Vimse).
I also have some shaped fitted nappies that need an outer wrap that I used exclusively in the first few weeks but now they are getting snug as she's chubbed out lol.

For when she outgrows the teenyfits I have tots bots easyfits and wonderoos.

As for poo, it easily comes off fleece usually (if solid) so you can either use fleece liners or disposable liners and flush the poo down the toilet.
With runny [breastmilk] poo I just put the whole thing in the washing machine (I don't use disposable liners til solids are introduced) and put the washer on a cold water rinse first then wash on a long 40 cycle.

And at 6 months ish you can easily get away with about 15 to 20 nappies if you plan to wash them every other day, but they are a bit addictive and you may end up with more lol.
I haven't even counted mine but I think I have around 30 newborn nappies (8 teenyfits, 5 little lambs, 3 lil joeys, 9 tiny fitted 2-parters, an old style purple tots bots and I *think* that's it LOL)
And I have around 35 'birth to potty' nappies (which really aren't as most BTP only fit good for babies over 12lb and my baby is still only 9lb something lol). Around 10 of them are Wonderoos, I have 3 or 4 Ebay cheap stuffables (cute outer designs), and the rest are the Easyfits.

Last edited:
Thanks girl. Going to discuss with partner and check with local council.

I had the same question so thank you! Where do you buy them?
Do people still soak nappies in buckets before washing?

We use the bambino mio all in ones and love them, they are so pretty! We use booster inserts too.

We have 16 and have found that's just the right amount for us. Our local council give cash back when you buy reusable which is handy!

We use flushable liners but throw them away as my hubby does occasional work with drains and they don't actually break down so cause issues once flushed. It's not a problem though as I just tip it out (complete with poo) into the bin.

We don't soak them, we bought a little bin which we put them into and then at night they get put in the washing machine.t o wash overnight.

Blueflower, check out http://www.fill-your-pants.com - they have some good deals ;-) we bought some from there.
And like lolie, we just put them in a plastic bin with a drawstring mesh bag inside - I just throw the bag with everything in into the machine and the nappies and liners all tumble out while washing.

Last edited:
My council does free nappy trial runs so we decided to give it a whirl for two weeks at the start of the september :). If not successful we're going to switch to eco friendly and get a compost bin

I went down the baby isle to price disposable diapers and those things are expensive! So I started thinking about cloth diapers too. It will be cheaper and better for the environment. Plus after looking it up and reading about the chemicals used in disposable diapers :shock: , now I know I want to cloth diaper. :) What I'm wondering is about how many cloth diapers will I need? :) I was thinking maybe about 100 of them? Is that a good guess or will I need more or can I get along with less?

Last edited:
I had the same question so thank you! Where do you buy them?
Do people still soak nappies in buckets before washing?

I watched a youtube video about cloth diapering and one lady had what she called a diaper sprayer. It's like a hose sprayer or kitchen sink prayer and you use that to spray the poop in the toilet. I thought that was neat. :)

Papermoon - we have 10 fitted bamboo little lambs and 2 of the one-size types with the poppers. We get by with those right now, but partly because of the good weather so we can line dry efficiently, and partly because I mix them with a disposable or two when we're out sometimes. I'll probably invest in some more cloth pretty soon! The disposables I use are Naty, which are biodegradable and eco friendly. Phoenix also recommends moltex as a good eco nappy brand, I need to try those yet!
I've also seen a sort if shower spray thing being used on some vid I watched - I think they attached it to the toilet plumbing, and sprayed the nappy in the bowl. Have also heard of people just holding the dirty nappy in the flush to rinse it a little! :)

Papermoon - we have 10 fitted bamboo little lambs and 2 of the one-size types with the poppers. We get by with those right now, but partly because of the good weather so we can line dry efficiently, and partly because I mix them with a disposable or two when we're out sometimes. I'll probably invest in some more cloth pretty soon! The disposables I use are Naty, which are biodegradable and eco friendly. Phoenix also recommends moltex as a good eco nappy brand, I need to try those yet!
I've also seen a sort if shower spray thing being used on some vid I watched - I think they attached it to the toilet plumbing, and sprayed the nappy in the bowl. Have also heard of people just holding the dirty nappy in the flush to rinse it a little! :)

Oh okay thanks! That's good to know! :)

Same here Hun! We've got
A bundle on the way to us of fuzzibunz and I'm also getting a wonderoo pack I bought two little blooms to try and I honestly love them :) I too had no clue where to start but I joined local cloth nappy pages and got help and advice join Facebook pages and ask their all helpful and lovely xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back