Reusable nappies

They look great, thank you ever so much :)
Can you use tots bots stretchies from birth as well or would bumgenius do for night time as well?
I will definitely look into a nappy library.
Bumgenius do an introductory offer for everything you need for something like £250, do you think that is a good idea or would it be best to try a few different ones at first to see how we get on with them?
This is really helpful, thank you xx

I would personally try a few out. You get different size stretchies. If you can't get to a library maybe buy a few preloaded and then buy a full set once you know what you like. Most companies do full kits with discount. I wouldn't use bumgenuis at night as they aren't the best to add boost to. Although as a new born you'Re probably going to change them at night.

Excellent, I feel sorted! Thank you ever so much for your help Nutsyputs, I really appreciate it xx

Excellent, I feel sorted! Thank you ever so much for your help Nutsyputs, I really appreciate it xx

You're more than welcome. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

I used cloth last time & will be again.

I used tots bots bamboozles or cotton fitted toweling nappies. (like the little lamb ones).
Then when she was older (nearly potty trained) I also used Wonderoos and Minkee blueberries which are all-in-one/stuffable nappies.
I loved the blueberries!

Since then though, Tots Bots changed their design and stopped doing the bamboo nappies, so I bought 5 little lamb ones instead... then about a week later Tots Bots announced they'd brought back their bamboo nappies! (Not the bright pretty colours though lol. And they cost more than little lamb so not too upset).

To be honest, I ended up preferring the "all in one" style that don't need a separate cover, but they are more expensive, and I know I kept a few nappy covers and 2 piece nappies, so to keep the cost down I did get the 5 little lamb ones.
I also bought 3 new "all in one" nappies called "Grovia". I haven't tried them before but they looked good, nice colours & good reviews.

I have a bag of nappies, wraps (outer covers) and accessories like fleece liners and cloth wipes etc in my loft, so in a few months I'll get my dad or someone to get them down for me then I can see what I have & wash them and see if I need to add any to them.

Also, my area does a free cloth nappy starter kit which I am hoping to get. Last time I knew about it (when they first started doing the kits about 8yrs ago), you got a nappy bucket, a roll of paper liners, and 3 nappies (one pre-fold, one shaped, and something else) but I'm not sure if the contents have changed since then... we shall see.
Funny thing... when they started doing the free kits I had *just* missed out as DD was 11 months and the kits were only available to mums-to-be or those with babies under 6 months. However they launched them at the Theatre in Bradford and had about 10 babies to model the nappies available and my DD ended up being one of the babies to model them lol.

Generally I prefer the shaped, fitted nappies (the ones that look like disposables in shape and fasten with velcro or press studs), but I am planning on cloth nappying from day 1 so I'm debating getting some cheap pre-folds like Bambino Mio or just some muslin cloths so that the meconium doesn't spoil the more expensive nappies (apparently as it's sticky it can be hard to wash out of some nappies... I used eco disposables with DD until she was a few weeks old though so this will be my first time doing cloth with a newborn).

As for mess, liners etc... Breastmilk poo is runny & mostly yellow (occasionally green lol), but you don't need a liner for it. Fleece liners keep your baby dry so they do not feel uncomfortable, moisture wicks straight through and the fleece stays dry.
Breastmilk poo as it's runny will go in your washer but it completely washes away and is not offensive. Often it stains lighter coloured nappies yellow on the crotch, but if you line dry them facing the sun the sun will bleach it out.
Or if you have white or unbleached nappies you can use nappisan etc.

Make sure you only use a tiny amount of liquid detergent with cloth nappies and make sure they are well rinsed. I tended to wash mine on a 40 or 60 (alternate washes) and then put the washer on again on a quick wash (no detergent) to fully rinse. If you use fabric softener it will limit the absorbancy of the nappies (so best avoided) and if your baby is having a rash or reaction to them make sure they are well rinsed, and consider using a more sensitive/eco washing liquid. Also consider using fleece liners so the baby isn't having a rash due to the wee being against their skin.

Just to add, In summer months I tended to only wash at 40 degrees, then hang to dry in the sun as it's a natural antibacterial.
The 60 washes were mainly in winter/autumn months when the nappies had to dry inside on the airer or radiators.

Last edited:
Why's that Ekaterina? Have you found them better than others? xx

I've had a look into the nappy library and it doesn't meet very often in our area, although hopefully we will manage to attend one. You can hire a new born pack, which contains a number of different brands, including some of the ones you very helpful ladies have recommended. You need to give them a date you want your pack from and then you hire it for a month. However, I'm very unlikely to get anywhere near my due date so don't know when to hire the pack from! I was thinking of hiring it from about a week before my due date and then having a contingency plan incase I don't make it that far, as I don't want to hire it too early and then have wasted the time!
So, my question is, in terms of being prepared before possibly having the pack would you suggest to just have some disposible nappies to start with or buy a few reusable ones and in that case would you suggest to go for the same ones which are in the pack or different ones?
The pack contains:
Newborn 6-10lbs 8 x Totsbots Tinyfit
2 x Real Easy XS
2 x Bum Genius XS
2 x Diddy Diaper
5 x Totsbots Bamboozle
1 x Ella's House Small
1 x Large Wetbag
1 x Small Wetbag
10 x Fleece Liners
1 x Roll of Paper Liners
xx

Oh, Ellas house are really nice too. I used them with my last baby.

I plan to use my cloth from birth, but last time I was told you get a better fit once they are over 10lbs (but that's with the ones that are sized birth-6m or similar... I would assume the tinyfit/teenyfit fit well from 6lb as it says)

As you aren't sure how big your baby will be or when they will be born, I'd look into buying a cheap pack of prefolds (bummies? Bambino Mio? I think they are prefolds) as you can make them to the size of your baby.

With my last baby, I used Moltex eco disposables at first until she was a few weeks old and went into cloth full time at around 6 weeks.
But they only start at size 1 which I think is about 5-10lbs. If your baby is very early you may find they are too big, but you could either use prefolds or the NICU will have micro nappies or know where to get them.

Ok, after getting very excited and nearly spending £75 on bum genius and totsbots hubby has managed to rein me in and very sensibly suggest that we wait until we have been to the nappy library and even then order the hire pack for 2 weeks before the baby is due and see if we can extend the length of time we hire it for if we need to and have some disposibles just in case baby comes earlier! I think that makes sense seeing as we get to try the ones we were interested in in the hire pack so we might as well do that to see which ones we prefer and then get a bumper pack of that brand! Although I was very excited about my order of very pretty nappies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back