Reusable nappies

Unicorn

Reaction score
For environmental and cost reasons we are considering using reusable nappies.
I've heard previously that these can be extremely messy and a bit of a pain but a friend has recently totally recommended bum genious and says she doesn't have any of these problems. She says that a full pack of everything you should need to start off is about £250 and then the liners are really cheap.
Does anyone have any experience with reusable nappies please? xx

No but I'm interested too in any replies as I've been thinking about given them a go with this baby.
Xxx

Also interested in the replies. It's something I'd LIKE to do very much, but not sure if I'd have the willpower to. Everyone I know that does it swears by it though

We didnt use them but i think theres a huge online cloth nappy community on Fb, fluffy bums or something. But they do like swapping selling and loads of probably good tips.

Some areas give you a voucher to get a small starter pack. Ask MW if there are any schemes like that. I got mine and gave it to a friend. Who also swears by them.

She used them on her 2 kids I think and once you get into a routine it can be good.

They also do look rare and comfy, can get some nice snazzy ones too.

xxxx

Last edited:
We use them. We have Mother-ease and bambino mio. It is harder to start with but once you're in the swing of it you'll be fine. We have roughly 20 nappies (some we have bought and some which have been given to us) so now we no longer have to buy disposables. Edited as she is in a disposable at night so we RARELY have to buy disposables :)

Last edited:
And would you say they are messier than disposables? Do you have to change them more often etc? Not that this is something I'm concerned about as I think it is a good thing and helps with potty training etc but I'm just interested in the differences xx

Last edited:
I don't think they are messier. I put a liner in which catches the mess, which I then throw away. The used nappies are stored in a bucket during the day then washed overnight. My LO is a heavy wetter so I change her every 3/4 hrs -she is in a disposable overnight.

Excellent, thank you. How many would you say you need to start out? Do you change the outer nappy every change? Why did you choose the brands you have gone for, is there much difference between the different ones, have you tried any you haven't got along with? xx

We started with disposables as we were advised by friends that it would be easier whilst our LO was newborn. We were given the Mother-ease and Tots bots (I think they are called), and started using them when she was around 6ish weeks. The Mother ease are fab but I love the all in one style of the bambino mio.

We use 4/5 a day, so wash them every other day as we have enough to wear whilst they are washing.

I don't change the outer every time (if using the mother-ease ones) some days I use the same one throughout the day. The bambino mio ones are all in ones so no separate outer.

I tried them and as my baby was born in july 13 it was easier because the weather was very hot which meant I could wash them and hang them on the line outside and they dried super quick. However as soon as the weather turned it became a total faff and I had enough to deal with with a refluxy screaming baby. So decided to make things a little simpler for myself and use disposables. I like to think I'm quite an Eco conscious person but in the end I had to be practical. That's just my experience though. I have a friend who used them from birth until she potty trained at 2 and a half. The ones I used were mamma mio I think x

Last edited:
I used them with my first and loved them. My youngest reacted every time I tried them on him so I was gutted to not use them again. I don't think they're messier than disposables. You flush any poo down the loo and use the flush to clean the liner as much as possible, you can also use flushable liners as mentioned above. I actually did the same with my disposables so I didn't have stinking nappies in my bin. I didn't use them over night - you need to either boost your day nappies (difficult to boost enough) or buy more absorbent night one - I tried it but hated the thought of a wet nappy against his skin for 12 hours x

I want to try reusable nappies. Ive found a site called little lamb, they do a 20 pack bundle. Has anyone used that brand? I'll be following this page for more advice X

There might be some useful threads and links in the Alternative Parenting section too.

xxxx

I've been thinking about reusable nappies, too, but I'm wondering whether I'll be able to cope with all the washing on top of everything else.

A friend suggested biodegradable nappies as an alternative - just wanted to throw this in for those of you considering your options.

We use them. We use a mixture, bum genesis, bambino mio prefolds, tots bots. I love them. I don't find them anymore difficult than disposables. I don't change them anymore then disposables. I wash every 3/4 days. There are a lot of nappie library's around and they offer trail kits. May be worth looking into. You can also get a lot preloved at a fraction of the price. The nappy lady if awesome to go for advice. I leave my nappies till I have a load. I don't feel like I. Doing much more washing but they maybe cause i have to kiddies and am constantly washing anyway!

That's really helpful, thank you Nutsputs. Why do you use different ones and is there any you would recommend to start out? xx

Because I'm a nappy whore! Bungensis freetimes are really easy and quick to use/change. They don't take long to dry in the house. I use bambino mio prefolds when we are home for the day as it's less washing and they can go in the dryer and tots bots stretchies at night as they are super absorbent. Bimgenusis freetimes are birth to potty so you could use them from the beginning but I would look into nappy library as they will have a few different ones to try and also be able to tell you if your local council offer incentive schemes. I love using them and wish I'd used them with my son but my husband wasn't convinced but he loves them now as well.

And they are much prettier!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 23
So many colours!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online