Requesting a C-section due to anixety

Nutshell

Reaction score
Hey All, just wondering if anyone has or is experiencing severe anxiety with regarding to labour? I had a really traumatic birth 7 years ago which ended up in forceps, I lost so much blood, never got a transfusion. Didn't feel 'right' for months. To be honest this experience has been part of reason I have waited 7 years for no 2!! I have expressed my concerns to the MW & my Consultant, both suggested I speak to a counsellor which I have been doing. Day to day I am fine unless I think/talk about my previous labour or the thought of this labour going the same way. i mentioned to my counsellor on Yesterday, she completely understands why I think I would be less anxious with a planned section but I do know that C-sections come with there risks too, I have the MW tmrw morning & I am thinking about raising the subject. I am expecting some opposition but I just can't go thru the same experience again, I really could not cope with it. Surely mums mental health & previous traumatic birth should be taken into consideration? X

My work colleagues first birth was very traumatic both her and her son ended up very unwell, she had her second last year and had a planned c section. She didn't have any problems, the midwifes agreed with her but it might be different in different areas

You can request a C-Section for a non medical reason - however I should think that both fear/ anxiety would def be taken into account.

I just had a quick Google and from what I can gather you can basically ask for one just because it's your preferred birth method.

Your healthcare provider needs to give you all the information and inform you of all the risks but the decision is yours as far as I can tell.

XX

I'm terrified of labour! I have no kids this is my first but I'm generally crapping myself. I'm seeing mw 1st March and I am going to talk about this. Labour scares me so much I wasn't sure I wanted to get pregnant. Obviously I'm over the moon that I am but not sure I can request to see a mw. I'd like a water birth but at the same time I'm not sure I can face it. I also think a c section is not easy. It's major surgery and takes along time to heal. I'm not really sure what to so. .. xxx

I have heard of a few ladies having had a planned c sec following traumatic delivery or longstanding anxiety issues.

There are different levels and your MW should assess this.

We all fear labour its a natural feeling. Fear of the unknown is terrible.

Its a personal decision and I hope they are accepting of your decision.

xxxx

I didnt grey a section due to anxiety but they did induce be because of it... Just discuss it and explain why... I'm
Having a planned section next time because if you have one you're more likely to need another and I feel
More in control.

I found my c-section experience white pleasanr(appart from
Being rushed into theatre... They were very calming and my recovery went very well (I was actually out of bed and in the shower less than 24houes later, three days after that I was was walkng around tesco,

Thanks for replying girls. The thought of having a labour like my last one completely terrifies me & if I can reduce the chances of it happening again I will. MW at 10am so I'll update on the outcome x

My appointment went well. I explained all my worries regarding the birth she was very sympathetic and said she completely understands why I feel the way I do. To cut a long story short she will back me whatever option of delivery I choose. This has made me feel so much better as I know she is on my side. We also discussed the fact I could have a perfectly normal natural text book labour. Man I wish I had a crystal ball! I don’t have a consultant appointment until 30 weeks so I will keep going with the counsellor and see the midwife as normal then see how I feel nearer the time.

Hey hun I would definitely keep at the counselling a friend of mine has had 2 severe previous births and wanted to request a c section this time round and it was denied. I hope you get the option you choose I really do but I would think a lot more about the option of getting a c section. I know everyone's experiences are different I've had 2 previous c sections my first being an emergency sections and second being some what elected (or what I like to refer to as my only other option). Don't get me wrong I'm still alive and that and obviously weren't that bad because I am considering going again but the recovery for both mine wasn't gr8.

My first was an emergency and was horrible horrible recovery I was drugged beyond belief and couldn't properly nurse my baby in hospital. Although I was up and on my feet I was by no means 100%
I ended up getting 2 infections in 6 weeks which delayed my recovery. I've a part of my belly were I have no feeling now at all. And have a serious overhang that no matter what diet or exercise I do will not go away and have been advised that I will need surgery to remove it because of the c section.

Now my 2nd one was a lot quicker recovery and only 1 infection. However I found it extremely hard looking after a new born and a toddler with my section
Just the simplest things of cleaning and cooking where hard whilst my other half was away. 7 months on and I'm still not 100% recovered if it's very cold I'm very very sore down where my scars are.

And also one of the biggest annoyances with sections are they limit your number of children.

I don't mean to be a debby downer at all and anything you choose is your choice is your own. But I don't think I'd ever advise anyone to have an elective section :(. So my advice would be to try and see if you can work through your anxiety (which I also suffer with so please don't think me making my comment is just on a whim or I don't understand cos I do ) and see what options best for you.

Good luck in your choice and I hope no matter what way u deliver its a safe and happy experience for you and your baby xx

So I'm in a similar situation but I am seeing a consultant in Feb to decide. I've been told by my mw it's completely up to me this time as I had a third degree tear and an awful birth last time so I can choose. I am so stuck though apart of me wants to try natural again as I was induced last time and it was awful and I want to experience a natural birth. However, the sensible head on me knows the risks of I tear as bad as I did last time I would face a lifetime of incontinance which scares me as well. My mw did say that they can't refuse u a section on any ground if one consultant refuses u u ask for a second opinion and they should consent to it. I think it's just more of a fight if it's non medical reason but from what she was saying they can't refuse it completely but will try and talk u out of it. Good luck making a decision x

I do know a woman who had a c-section because of PTSD from medical trauma.

She has no regrets.

I had a very traumatic experience with my c-section, though. It was a nightmare!

You will just have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for your family. :)

Just to put a different slant on it I had a natural birth which the HV and midwives talked about as 'traumatic' afterwards but I had an epidural at 7cm which numbed me from below my boobs to my lady bits, I really didn't feel a thing from that point and im really nervous about ever doing it again, but if I knew I could get the same type of epidural Id do it in a second. I had an episiotomy and recovering from that was the worst part for me, I can't imagine recovering from a c-section would be much better either though. I hope theyre supportive of you and you get to choose a c section if that's what you want x

Girls thank you for all time to respond, it's given me lots to think about.

Cers123 I am sorry you 2 traumatic sections, it can't off been easy & you did highlight some issues I hadn't thought off. I am just desperate for things to be better this time. I can't face what happened before, however with the help of my counsellor we have come up with a plan of what I would do.

Keeptrying14 it's difficult isn't it, I wish I knew what do to for the best. Have the told you they will try & make this a different experience this time?

NBkm3 see this is the thing, I just do not know how my recovery will be like. I want to get that 'top of the world' feeling people talk about as I was too out of it last time but more importantly I want to be able to look after my son & new baby.

Rainbow1234 I had the same thing with the epi & couldn't feel anything hence the foreceps. It was horrible hence the reason I would insist no forceps this time.

I have been thinking lots about my options. All the health professionals are telling me what happened last time will not happen again & they will work to ensure I have a completely different experience. I am worried that recovery from a section will be worse but in my head of its just wound pain I could cope. What I can't cope with is losing lots of blood and feeling physically and mentally like I have been hit by a bus. Now I could well change my mind a million times before the birth but my midwife suggested one of my options could be to labour naturally & if things don't progress as they should go for a section, no forceps. I am starting to consider this but I don't want to commit to anything yet. So yeah that's where I am at for the time being.

Thanks again for all the responses, they have helped me work thru things xxx

I do know a woman who had a c-section because of PTSD from medical trauma.

She has no regrets.

I had a very traumatic experience with my c-section, though. It was a nightmare!

You will just have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for your family. :)

I've got ptsd and my birth was considered traumatic but I found it still less traumatic than the idea of a c-section.. I suppose it's different for everybody! Due to panic attacks and hyperventilation, at some point I had to stick to the gas and air to prevent one. Everyone was saying how I'd wanted an epidural during the start of contractions... Never wanted one throughout the entire labour and was fine with just gas and air, despite forcep delivery... The whole ring of fire, I never even felt.. I did put the trust in myself that my body would react naturally to the pain of labour and it did.. I never had my pain threshold tested that much or knew it could reach those heights and cope with it..

It's more the aftermath of a c-section, I dreaded.. I already couldn't cope requiring theatre stitches and thus a spinal post delivery in the way that you can't move your legs and a catheterized for the night , nevermind having to rest for days after a c-section.. I also wouldn't have wanted to be in hospital much longer after!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back