Renting property out

annem

Reaction score
Right i was just after some advise. I'm renting my flat out at the mo and the tenants are driving me crazy. They call me up to come and look at their bills all the time. I explain what they have to do time and time again.

I was wondering what happens when tenants don't pay bills etc?

I know they have paid the bills so far but when it comes to them leaving i know some tenants leave unpaid bills what do you do about it? I've got a bond of £600 but i guess i have to give that to them as soon as they leave?

:think: i'm not sure but i can't imagine you'd have to pay any of it, surely you next tenants would come in and take up on bills and any outstanding amount if left unpaid would be passed to bailiffs and they would track old tenants? not sure though :hug:

Why do they want you to look at their bills?

You can keep the bond for a month I guess, and ring round the utilities people to make sure they are up to date.
It would be no different to if you moved into a house and the old owners hadn't paid the bills... it wouldn't be your debt, other people would have to chase them for it.

Do you have a proper contract drawn up with them? Legal and binding and all that? How much notice they need to give and vice versa?

I think its odd they keep calling you to explain their bills. Its not difficult to set up direct debits to pay regular ones, which would be the easiest thing for them to do. You should not need to be involved.

With regard to them maybe not paying bills and moving, I'd be inclined to get legal advice on that as you as the home owner may be stuck with things if they do leave unpaid bills and move. Although they should get their act together and notify all the companies to come do final readings etc when they know they are leaving and have any outstanding bills sent to their new address. You can call the council and enquire about the process for council tax also with regards to your tenants. The council should not stick you with that unless the property is empty. But worth calling and finding out as thats not a cheap one either.

Failing that, I'd install a key meter for electric as that tends to be the big one if left unpaid. At least with a key meter they have to top it up themselves or else have no power. Make them responsible for it.

Might pay you to seek legal advice and if you know these people are leaving, you phone all the utility companies and double check the process? Not sure they will tell you anything as you are not the bill payer, but its worth a shot.

It really sounds like your tenants need to learn to fend for themselves a bit though. Its not your job to help explain their bills or to have to become involved in anything like that. I'd be inclined to keep more of a distance but thats just me.

Good luck :)

Thanks.

They do not speak very good english, let alone read it. (I know i'm a hypocrite after my post about immigrants!!) So they call me to explain each bill like where to pay council tax, gas/elec, ground rent etc.

I have a contract with them and they must give me a months notice after the six month contract runs out.

They are simply going into the banks/post offices and paying the bills rather than using direct debits.

If i can keep their bond for a month that would be enough time to check everything. They are great though, i've never seen such a clean flat!!

annem said:
Thanks.

They do not speak very good english, let alone read it. (I know i'm a hypocrite after my post about immigrants!!) So they call me to explain each bill like where to pay council tax, gas/elec, ground rent etc.

Ah that would explain it. Hopefully once they have paid them a few times they won't have to keep troubling you.

And it sounds to me like they are decent and paying bills properly from what else you said, so hopefully if you don't extend their 6 month contract it'll all be cleared up when they leave. They just need to call the utility companies and notify of them of their leaving date and the bills will be done till then. If you extend it another 6 months then no worries till then it sounds like.

Good luck with them :) Nice to know they are taking care of the place. Not everyone is so good :roll:

yeah they do seem really good, could have a lot worse in there!!

thanks for your help :D

hi hun my brother has just had this and he kept the bond money and it still didnt cover what the tenantts owed, he is just going through small claims court and he has also had his mortgage cancelled because he didnt inform them that he was letting the house out and unless u have a certain mortgage you cant rent them out, which he didnt know so he is now having to look for another mortgage quickly

What a nightmare! yeah i know its not easy renting out! You need a 'buy to let' which costs more and be on the landlord register! Its so much hassle. When the housing market is better its going!! I would of stayed in it but there simply was no room for the baby, me working from home and my OH who hates being in small spaces!!

Hope your brother gets it sorted quickly :hug:

he has decided to sell instead, hopefully it will go this week, he has had open viewings this weekend and it has been really busy so fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back