relocating problems (as usual!)

GBLiz

Reaction score
i'll be moving house a month before our baby is due. Ok I know i move house every 6 weeks with work, but this time i'm REALLY moving house lol.

As some of you may know from previous posts of me stressing, i havent been able to have any doctorr/midwife care as yet (except to register as pregnant at 6 weeks)...i

'll be home (hemel hempstead) briefly in december when i can get a 24 week antenatal appointment (hopefully)

in january/feb i'll be away from home (in weston-super mare) for 6 weeks again (28-34 weeks )

straight after that i'll be moving permanently to loughborough.

SO, what should i do? should i register as a temporary patient at weston or will i not be able to get regular appointments then ? only emergency?What needs doing between 28 and 34 weeks?

If i transfer my whole notes to weston, , it will take a couple weeks for them to come through, then when i move to loughborough it will take another couple of weeks right near my due date :?

also, how can i arrange a birth plan if im not in loughborough until 4 weeks before - does that give me time or will i not be able to have the same options cos ive not had any care there?

anyone know how i can work things and plan them for the best? I dont want to be stuck having no options in the end, but to rush in having a baby as an emergency in a horrible ward full of people!!

hmmm....my idea would be to phone the people who are dealing with you right now and explain your situation and see what they suggest..? as you know where you will be moving to.. perhaps its an idea to regester with a doctors there or something i have no clue..

While I don't know your situation and why you are away so much I've made a few suggestions below. If its work related its a shame your work could not have found you something less stressful during your pregnancy. And also you are entitled to time off to attend ante natal appointments, so if its work you could have taken them and been fine. You still can :) If its not and there is another reason, then I've missed that convo, so do forgive :roll:

I'd contact your Hemel Hempsted home doc now, asap, prolly. Explain your situation and that you are back for x amount of weeks in December and would like to have your antenatal care in that time and any scans available. This gives the MW or hospital time to arrange it. Or if you have your hospital ante natal number give them a call direct also.

Then book to see a doctor also at your GP practice, do it now so you know you have the appointment all sorted and then go and discuss all this with him/her. And also your MW there. Both of them should be able to shed some light on what you'll need to do to move up north. I'd book both these appointments for the start of the time you are home, to allow them to follow up any queries etc you have and to give them time to get back to you.

I'd forget about anything in Weston unless they can help arrange it.

I hope you are able to work it all out. Good luck :)

ive been trying to book the 24 week check for weeks....dont even go there! I posted about it a few weeks back. My midwife i have been unable to contact since august as her phone is always off. My doctor says they dont arrange anything from the surgey , its all done through the midwife and basically its my fault if im not there to drop in at the antenatal clinic.

i dnt hve any maternity notes¬!!!! cos ive not seen a dr since announcing pregnancy and they registered me with a midwife who i saw once at 6 weeks then havent been able to contact her.

so basically i havde totally gven up on any help from nhs back at home...its more where do i go from here....i WILL get that sodding 24 week check booked somehow...

I don't know what to suggest hun, it sounds like a complete nightmare. I hope you can get something sorted, it's really bad that the midwife won't answer her phone, what if you needed her because you were bleeding or something :shock:

I'm sure you're not the first person to be in this situation with having to move around with work. Could you maybe try calling the doctor where you are now and ask what they suggest you do? :think:

im really lucky in that i havent had any problems..this forum has answered any questions ive had, so its thanks to you lot i havent gone out of my mind.

i called my GP today to ask again about being unable to contact a midwife , and got told she has been off sick the last 2 weeks..(doesnt explain the previous 10 weeks though!!) i have asked to be assigned someone else...even if it is only til the end of the year, i still need to be able to arrange appointments. I think i should insist on getting all i can done while im home over xmas, and then hope for the best in Weston..and then move my notes just the once when we relocate. If i go straight to a gp in loughborough in march hopefully it wont be too late to be booked in for the last month of antenatal care and find out what my options are.

Why not book a private scan for when you get back? That way you don't have to worry about trying to get one booked on the NHS. You can book one for when suits you then.

And then just book now for your GP and MW for when you come back and take it from there?

TBH if you've had no check ups or scans as yet, I'd say go the extra and go private and put your mind at rest. If from being overseas you've missed all the other things women normally have available to them here in the UK, it can't hurt.

And being out of the UK for a length of time does make it incredibly hard to arrange medical care on your return. I spent most of my 20's overseas living but always had medical insurance in the countries I was working so was able to receive treatment when living there. But I was not able to stay registered with a GP as I was outside the UK for over a certain period of time and it did not mean I could then just walk back in and get treatment. I had to re-register and everything where I relocated back to.

ive booked my scans private- thats been obvious i would need to do that. Its the rest of it.

ive been trying to book for when i get back..thats been another whole story......seems so simple doesnt it, but no!!! gp cant book anything , its all done through midwife..but midwife uncontactable as mentioned above...

Alas when overseas its makes things interesting.

I'd be inclined to ask the surgery what days and times she is there and call them direct and ask to be put through, rather than calling her on her mobile or whatever. Phone as soon as she is due to be there or at the end of a session and be prepared to call back if she is busy.

Really, if you are overseas its pretty much impossible to do some things back here. You are technically out of their area and treatment. Until you come back you may have to accept that you cannot get much done.

I know I'm not being much help but really, from where you are living atm does not make anything easy. Being pregnant and then going overseas for an extended period changes how you can get things done. You are not technically living in the UK and while able to be registered with a GP (I think its after 6 months you have to notify them you are out of the country and re-register when you return) they really can't do much if you are elsewhere in the world. Its not like being on a 2 week holiday, so its a learning curve that ideally you could do without.

all nhs offer emergency MW on the telephone, cant u ring one of them? i cant see the nhs only giving u a mobile number to get hold of a MW, amount of times ive had to call the emergency number, i'd be lost with out it

no i never got given any emergency number. Just a mobile.

like i said though my issue RIGHT NOW isnt with the past service or difficulties ive had, its where to go from here to ensure a smoother ride for the rest of my pregnancy, now i know exactly where i will be in the remaining months up to the birth.

babe i would not be happy. to me youve been left behind by the service. just becuase you move around does not affect your entitlements to maternity care!! you should be seen reguarly no matter what!!! i would be phoning someone today! please get it sorted.

im a support worker for homeless women, now obviously they move aropund-hostel to hostel, or rough and they get care wherever they are at the time!

let us know how you get on, good luck x

thanks for understanding :hug: its been a huge stress. But to be honest it's been causing me so much more stress chasing around and getting passed from pillar to post that i just want to drop it and leave it all behind me, get an antenatal booked somehow for 24-28 weeks and then start fresh in the new location/s. In fact maybe i could book an antenatal appointment privately, can you do that at the scanning places? Just so i can get whatever bloods needs to be done and then i'll feel a bit more relaxed.

not sure.. perhaps by a private clinic.. such as harley st..or perhaps bupa?

not sure if you could afford to but what about a private midwife? they see you on your terms to?

have you any idea how much they cost per session?

how many times do you need to see one between 28 and 34 weeks?

or could i get away with only seeing one after 34 weeks if i had no complications?

think its about 2 and 1/2k for a private mw.. and i think you have to pay the full amount even if you only see them half way through your pregnancy..if you can afford it.. i suppose its worth looking into in your situation? if not then.. im stumped

bugger..not really workable cos i'd need one in weston then one in loughborough..cant afford 5k!!!

I'll just have to keep optimistic that when i get to loughborough, they will be able to assign me someone quickly...and that they answer their phone!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back