Refusing daytime naps

AmyQ

Reaction score
Any suggestions for helping getting LO to nap properly during the day? Evenings are beginning to get a nightmare as he is massively overtired and then doesn't feed properly.

He will have the odd 10-15 minute nap during the day, but he wakes up grumpy.

Once he's settled for the night (eventually) he'll sleep for a good 4-5 hours, feed and be changed and go back down for another 4 hours, so it's not all bad I just wish he could get a good nap in during the day so he doesn't wear himself out screaming in the evening.

No answers but will be watching as LO has started not sleeping in the day too xx

I don't know how old is your little one but that i did is to put her down every 1.5 h at the beginning and 2 h later for a nap and then I would do everything to get her to nap rock her, walk her in her pram, swing, bouncer etc. she kind of learnt to nap (though I had a pretty good at naps baby ) and once she got at 12 weeks she self settled for every each nap,

I'm having the same problem. She will nap earlier in the day but ideally she needs a short nap after her 3pm feed otherwise she's miss cranky pants at bed time (hubby is trying to settle her now) usually if I take her out in the pram she'll nod off, even just for 10 mins helps but she didn't even do that today.

I may be going at this the wrong way, but I'm not actually putting JJ down for a nap during the day - I'm letting him guide me as to when he wants to nap.

It's more important (IMO) at the moment that he sleeps longer overnight (and essentially is able to distinguish between night and day) and at the moment he is sleeping from about 21.30pm-ish to 04.00am-ish and I am able to get a decent nights sleep! :)

He does tend to drop off for about 30 mins after each feed - but I don't put him in his cot - I either use his comfy chair or keep him in the baba sling xx

My son was the same at that age and he's still crap at sleeping in the day now to be honest! I've tried everything, rocking him to sleep, dummy, swaddling, putting him in his cot, holding him, having him in a dark room, going for a walk, taking him out in the car. He will nod off, but just will not sleep longer than about half an hour at a time in the day.

He's fallen into a bit of a routine where I'll take him for a walk in the morning so he sleeps. Then in the afternoon we'll go out in the car to visit relatives or go to a vlass and he'll sleep then. In the evenings I'll hold him so he can nap. It's not ideal, but it works for us. I'd love a baby that sleeps for hours in his cot in the day, but he just doesn't want to!

At night, he nods off himself while I hold him after his last feed at 7-8 ish. He will sleep with no interuption until about 5am wake for a top up, and nod back off until about 8-9 am!

Last edited:
My daughter was the same and still isn't amazing at sleeping. Some of the lovely ladies on here introduced me to the EASY routine and its worked wonders. I get a good 90 min nap out of her in the morning, a 2hour one from 11-1 and the afternoons are always a bit tricky so I try and walk somewhere at around 3 to get her to drift off for about an hour. Then I give her a catnap on my lap 2hours before bed time.

It doesn't always work but its helpedoads with the over tiredness!xxx

I make sure my lo has a nap every 90 mins. Most of the time I have to rock her in my arms, but I find going for a walk in the pram really helps her drift off!

I definitely think sleep breeds sleep so I also looked into the EASY routine and it works for us too. She gets up for the day at 9am, sleep at 10.30, next sleep 1.00 (this is her longest nap) next sleep 4, then bed at 7.

Can I just ask these ladies who have tried easy how it actually works to get their baby to sleep for a couple of hours at a time? I'm sorry if it sounds stupid, but it's just everything I've tried will get him to sleep, but he just will not stay asleep for long! I look for his tired signs/cues and get him to sleep when I spot them. But then 30 mins later he wakes up. Doesn't cry, doesn't fuss, just wakes up and no anount of trying will get him back to sleep. Do I just have a cat napper of a baby?!

I resettled back by rocking etc or she went through a time that she was waking at 45 min dot so at 45 min I was over her stroking her hair etc until she got to the next sleep cycle.
30-45 kin naps are sth that they go through at some point. I worked hard to make her sleep longer simply because she was waking at 45 min crying like she was still sleeping but she couldn't sleep more.
She improved dramatically at 7 m when she started having long naps by herself 9.30-11 and 2-3.40/4 and that happened when I started putting her actually in her cot in a pitch black room instead of the living room.

Littlemonkey my lo is exactly the same. The only way she'll sleep longer is in the car on a long journey which isn't very often!! I think I just have a cat napper...but she sometimes wakes then yawns!! But at night she's sleeping 9-10 hour stretches?! It's bizarre xxx

Littlemonkey my lo is exactly the same. The only way she'll sleep longer is in the car on a long journey which isn't very often!! I think I just have a cat napper...but she sometimes wakes then yawns!! But at night she's sleeping 9-10 hour stretches?! It's bizarre xxx

My wee man will even wake after 30mins in the car! Honestly, you could set your watch to him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back