Refridgerated breastmilk question

JaiandLeigh

Reaction score
I am expressing breastmilk and storing it in the fridge for my husband to do the first night feed. We are taking it out the fridge just before bed and taking it upstairs with us for the 1/2am feed (to save going up / down stairs) however even at 1/2am it's still quite cold and not room temp so our little one isn't keen on it. My question is can you warm up breastmilk thats come out of the fridge and already been left out at room temp for 3-4 hours? Thanks :) x

I can't remember off the top of my head but if you check Kellysmom website they should have upto date info on there x

Thank you MrsT - I have checked, I seem to be able to find lots of info about how long to store it for & how long it can be left out for after removing it from the fridge and warming it up when you first take it out the fridge but nothing about warning it up after a long period of time if it being left out of the fridge.... I am seeing the HV Thursday anyway so will ask her then if no one knows for sure xx

Yes you can warm it. Stand the bottle in a jug of hot water though and then "swirl" it. Never heat breastmilk in a microwave and never shake it (shaking damages the molecules or something).

Thanks Phoenix, yes that's how I always do warm it when I warm it straight from the fridge, so just wanted to know if I would do the same if it had been out of the fridge for a while, much appreciated :) xx

Breastmilk is supposed to be fine at room temp for several hours, as you're using it the day it's pumped it should be fine x

Breast milk starts to go 'off' after being left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, so you're better off leaving it in the fridge and heating up when baby needs it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back