Reflux/Silent Reflux

littlemonkey

Reaction score
From about 4-5 weeks old my son went very colicky. He would have screaming fits in the evening where nothing would settle him before eventually crying himself to sleep. He was also doing green poos and only going every couple of days. We tried all the suggestions the HV and DR gave us and we saw a slight improvement with dentinox drops, colief and changing formula (which solved the green poo issue).

Around the same time he got good at sleeping at night and rubbish at sleeping in the day. Eventually we realised he might be crying cos of over tiredness and got into a routine with him of forcing him to nap in the day. We saw a significant improvement from this point onwards with crying.

However, over recent weeks he has become fussy with feeds. He will take a few oz before getting restless, arching his back and crying. It started with the odd feed here and there, then every evening then every feed. HV and GP said nothing was wrong with him last week when he had next to nothing all day, just give him little and often. My parents had him that weekend and reckoned he was teething cos he was constantly chewing his hand. I started giving him teething gel before a feed and calpol on particular grumpy days and for about a week he seemed to have more good days than bad.

Until Saturday when he would not have a thing without screaming! We saw OOH GP who initially checked and said there's nothing wrong with him. Then we fed him there, he took one look at him and asked had he been colicky. He then said he has convinced he had reflux although he's not really been sicking up much. He prescribed Sma staydown but if anything since starting this my son has been worse! He's been so grumpy and not himself since the weekend and now I also think he's constipated! He's been taking smaller regular feeds and if he fusses we feed him in his bouncer which seems to help.

I just feel so fed up and miserable my son is suffering and part of me thinks it's our fault for doing all these wrong things to help him! I don't even know if this new milk is helping anyway! Does what I've described sound like reflux? Is there anymore I can do for my son without changing too much and upsetting him even more? My poor wee poppett.

It sounds just like reflux. Maybe go back and ask for some gaviscon. That's what my son is on and I noticed a difference after one feed. It was a total change. He was in pain and feeding sporadically but once he had gaviscon he went to 4 hr feeds xxxx

My little girl has a milk allergy and so is on special milk but has reflux also and the gaviscon in her bottles helped pretty much straight away, I would ask your gp about trying the sachets for a week x if you're not happy Hun and baby is still unsettled take him back. When I had my son I spent too long listening to health visitors and doctors fobbing me off because I was a first time mum. I assumed they must be right because its their job, it took 6 months of my son being in pain until they eventually diagnosed his milk allergy. With my daughter she was diagnosed at 4 weeks. mommys know best. If your baby is unsettled and you still feel something is wrong take him back and ask for more help xxx best of luck Hun xxx

It might be worth changing the teat size on the bottle, my DS became difficult to feed and it turned out that the teat size was too small x

We're going to speak to the HV today about it. I've been doing some research on silent reflux and convinced he now has it after reading this list of symptoms which describes my son down to a T
Very unsettled feeder, often from birth,bobs on and of breast or bottle. Squirmy and crying out while feeding. May feed for short burst then bob of teat or breast, reluctant to return to feeding.
Feeding constantly, very little gaps between feeds.
Rapid weight gain due to constant feeding.
Lots of comments on how alert they are and what great head control your child has.
Farting more than burping as often very difficult to wind.
Prefers to sleep on you than to lie in crib, changing mat etc, screaming each time you try to lie them down.
Gurgling, rumbling sounds coming from tummy, often just as you start to feed or when you pick up in the middle of the night.
Explosive strong smelling nappies.
You child looks like they are frowning and have a serious little face!
Sneezing or hiccupping a lot!

I'm not sure about infant gaviscon, doesn't this work in the same way as the stay down milk by making the milk thicker? I just worry he'd be taking it unnecessarily if that's the case. We have seen an improvement in that he is now finishing every feed, but for some feeds we have to transfer him to the bouncer/pushchair so he's more upright and leave him there for a while after feeding him. I'm also thinking about weaning him when he hits four months in a couple of weeks. I hadn't wanted to start this early, but I'd rather that than have him suffer.

It does sound like silent reflux, my eldest had the same symptoms but was never diagnosed. Literally the day I started weaning he improved dramatically! F also has reflux and the gaviscon doesn't make the milk any thicker, so it could be worth a try before you start weaning. Really hope you see an improvement soon, as I know how upsetting and exhausting it can be, good luck xxx

So we spoke to the HV about it yesterday and she said forget the staydown milk if he's not being sick much, get the gavisgon instead. We managed to get an appointment with the Drs who have us the prescription. He's only had one feed so far with it, as by the time we went to the drs and got his prescription it was almost his bedtime! Fingers crossed this makes an improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back