Reflux in toddler (appreciate any advice)

As you know from FB, Jack doesn't speak due to a partial tongue tie. It'll be interesting to see how Brody and his speech develop once their problems are sorted. Jack's beginning to get frustrated now which i feel terrible about. He's taken to pushing us (not spitefully) in the direction of where he wants us to be. He's brilliant at getting his point across without speech like if he wants to watch TV he gives us the remote!

We're still waiting for a letter to see his surgeon :( I think we'll be waiting a while.

I was told they're not technically behind with their speech until they're 2.5. Jack is 2 in 17 days so time is ticking for him :(

I hope the meds work for Brody x

Thanks Claire. I'm going to ask the paediatrician to check brody's tongue when we finally get an appointment as I couldn't get him to latch for anything when he was a newborn. I don't see him saying any words in the near future. His tongue goes in every direction possible lol.

I hope jack gets his appointment soon. Keep me posted xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Layla is 2 in July and had server reflux ended up being tube fed as it got so bad she refused to eat and drink. She doesn't talk and still has reflux and vomits. If you want to talk can add you to face book, my new daughter has server reflux to :( x

Jazz that would be great ill PM you. Thanks for your help. X

Sorry I can't offer any useful advice from a toddler perspective. I did just want to say that as an adult who takes Omeprazole for really awful excess stomach acid and reflux issues that its been amazing for me. Here's hoping it leads to a much more comfortable time for Cam :hug: xxx

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

Thanks my lovely xxxxx *cough* it's Brody. You getting me and the lovely Jayne confuzzled? ;) lol.
That's good to hear it helped you. Xxxxxx

Flipping eck Mrs sorry. I just replied to Jayne about something and I've got the lurgy again so I'm a walking zombie and my brain doesn't work. I feel like a right doofus now *facepalm*

Lol you're never a doofus you're my fantabulous birth buddy (although its a food baby I currently hold lol) xxxx

I can only help with speech problems ... Aaron's speech will be delayed due to dS.

Do you have any specific questions?

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

Thanks hun. Have they given you any tips on how to help him with learning to talk? Brody doesn't even really make "ah" sounds like ba, da etc. His tongue just goes everywhere iykwim. Xxx

The best advice is to talk to them as much as possible.

Spend a lot of time over emphasising Ba Ba Ba and ga ga ga noises to him. Describe everything you do

Have you considered using baby signing? It's a way of teaching him to communicate and can help develop speech too. Your slt should be able to get you on a course or there are private companies that do it. I've found the singing hands DVDs the best - there's mr tumble too but he fries my head!,

Thanks tweety. My mum gave me a signing book at the weekend funnily enough. She works in special ed so does a lot of makaton (excuse my spelling!). Am def going to start using it.
There is a signing group nearby I might try too xxxx

Thanks so much everyone. I didn't expect many replies or anyone to be in a similar boat so this has been really helpful and reassuring x

Bet you feel loads better now don't u sweet. I know how much this has been worrying you :hugs: xxxx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Baby signing us the schnitz. I think I enjoyed it more than J.

Bet you feel loads better now don't u sweet. I know how much this has been worrying you :hugs: xxxx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

:hugs: has made me feel a lot better. Am still a stress head tho lol. I can't wait for the day he eats a sandwich or something! Xxxxx

Jack can't bite into things. He can chew though so we cut everything into bite sized pieces. People must think i'm some OTT Mum when we break his chips apart for him when we're out but because he can't bite them he'll shove the whole thing in and choke himself. It's so bloody frustrating isn't it!

I'm going to call the Doc tomorrow morning to make sure he's referred him to see the Surgeon. It'll be 3 weeks this Friday since diagnosis and not a sniff of anything happening x

Jack can't bite into things. He can chew though so we cut everything into bite sized pieces. People must think i'm some OTT Mum when we break his chips apart for him when we're out but because he can't bite them he'll shove the whole thing in and choke himself. It's so bloody frustrating isn't it!

I'm going to call the Doc tomorrow morning to make sure he's referred him to see the Surgeon. It'll be 3 weeks this Friday since diagnosis and not a sniff of anything happening x

Claire I know exactly what you mean. Feel like you have to explain constantly too. My MIL seems to ask every other time I see her "won't he eat a banana?" Lol. I wish! I have a nephew who is 3m younger who'll eat anything, so it must be hard for her to get. I'm paranoid if anyone else tries when I'm not there as they don't seem to understand the severity of it. Even at the chemist yesterday I was talking to someone about how he doesn't chew and she was like "what, not at all?" I can't wait for the day that I can make him little sandwiches or order a kids meal!

Hope you get somewhere with the doc. I was told we had to wait as its marked as routine and the only other option is urgent (which I was told is life or death situations).

Xxx

Claire I know exactly what you mean. Feel like you have to explain constantly too. My MIL seems to ask every other time I see her "won't he eat a banana?" Lol. I wish! I have a nephew who is 3m younger who'll eat anything, so it must be hard for her to get. I'm paranoid if anyone else tries when I'm not there as they don't seem to understand the severity of it. Even at the chemist yesterday I was talking to someone about how he doesn't chew and she was like "what, not at all?" I can't wait for the day that I can make him little sandwiches or order a kids meal!

Hope you get somewhere with the doc. I was told we had to wait as its marked as routine and the only other option is urgent (which I was told is life or death situations).

Xxx

I also can't wait for this day :) my biggest frustration has always been getting anyone to listen to me. I absolutley knew 100% what was right for my baby. But would they hear me out?! I find it hard repeating the same story over and over again. Its just as easy to do all the feeds/medicines myself. But then wonder why im worn out. Awk...it wont be like this forever for any of us im sure. Xxxx

tapatalking

Xxx

I also can't wait for this day :) my biggest frustration has always been getting anyone to listen to me. I absolutley knew 100% what was right for my baby. But would they hear me out?! I find it hard repeating the same story over and over again. Its just as easy to do all the feeds/medicines myself. But then wonder why im worn out. Awk...it wont be like this forever for any of us im sure. Xxxx

tapatalking

:hug: who would think food could be so stressful! X

The in-laws are fantastic and are going to pay for him to get it done privatley if he has to wait muh longer!! I love them!!! x

The in-laws are fantastic and are going to pay for him to get it done privatley if he has to wait muh longer!! I love them!!! x

That's brilliant Claire. My mum has offered the same lol. Gotta love parents. Am gonna wait to see how he gets on with this medication for a few weeks and then decide xxx

We're the same Olive, we'll wait to see the surgeon and see how long we'll have to wait. If we feel it's too long because he's already 2 years old and behind his peers we'll let them pay x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back