Reflux in toddler (appreciate any advice)

Olive

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't post very often anymore, so hope you don't mind that I am. Usually when I do it's of a similar nature, but I just wondered if there is anyone on PF who has experienced similar.

My DS is 16mo. He never grasped finger foods and struggled with lumps as he wouldn't chew. This resulted in a lot of vomiting.

Anyway, after being ignored by the GP for months, my HV finally referred me to a speech and language therapist when he was 13mo. She described him to a T and basically said he has bad reflux.

He spits up, vomits, can't chew food as never learnt to, throws up a bit in mouth and swallows it, is windy and arches his back.

She said that the reflux can cause food refusal as lumpier foods are harder to digest with stomach acid, so this can delay chewing skills. Much to my delight, I've been told and have read that children with reflux can also have delays in their speech and language development due to reduced chewing practice as well as the body focusing on the underlying pain and discomfort rather than on development of communication skills.

My lo doesn't talk at all yet.

I've been referred to a paediatrician and am awaiting an appointment (12 weeks). I feel like I'm making no progress with this as its been ongoing for months and we're no further forward. It's starting to really worry me. I've finally been prescribed omeprazole, but the doctor would only prescribe one thing at a time.

So my question is, has anyone had anything similar....

Reflux issues
Chewing issues
Speech issues
Or used omeprazole?

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read and reply. I have the feeling there probably won't be many.

Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i dont have any advice im afraid but didnt want to read and run, hope you get some answers soon must be so tough! xx

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Sorry no advice. But I know Gayle has struggled with Daisy and her reflux. I'm thinking she has used that medicine. Sure she will be along soon to answer or PM her xxx

Thanks ladies xxxxxxxx

My lo has reflux, she's only 9 weeks old so can't help with the chewing etc but she is on omeprazole. As long as she takes all of it properly it really helps! It stops the excess acid being produced in the stomach and so when things come up their throat it doesn't burn, it's mildly irritating instead. She is also very windy and we haven't found a cure for that...
Glad you have a diagnosis for your lo xxx

Thanks Blondy. I was told he had reflux as a newborn but then he stopped spitting up and seemed ok, until we went on to solids. Then it wasn't mentioned so I feel like this late diagnosis has really hindered him.

I'm hoping the paediatrician will help more with meds and had to fight the doc to prescribe as didn't want to be the one to do it. I've been told 5ml in the morning. Does your lo take more out of interest?

X

Hiya. Yep we had a horrible struggle and eventually omeprazole helped Daisy Grace. Shes on 5mg but it can be doubled if need be. I haven't needed to yet. Sorry to hear your little man has reflux. Its a terrible thing. Must be so uncomfortable for them :(

Speach

tapatalking

Thanks Gayle. How old is Daisy? Xxx

Sorry I can't offer any useful advice from a toddler perspective. I did just want to say that as an adult who takes Omeprazole for really awful excess stomach acid and reflux issues that its been amazing for me. Here's hoping it leads to a much more comfortable time for Cam :hug: xxx

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

I can only help with speech problems ... Aaron's speech will be delayed due to dS.

Do you have any specific questions?

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

Sorry I can't offer any useful advice from a toddler perspective. I did just want to say that as an adult who takes Omeprazole for really awful excess stomach acid and reflux issues that its been amazing for me. Here's hoping it leads to a much more comfortable time for Cam :hug: xxx

Thanks my lovely xxxxx *cough* it's Brody. You getting me and the lovely Jayne confuzzled? ;) lol.
That's good to hear it helped you. Xxxxxx

I can only help with speech problems ... Aaron's speech will be delayed due to dS.

Thanks hun. Have they given you any tips on how to help him with learning to talk? Brody doesn't even really make "ah" sounds like ba, da etc. His tongue just goes everywhere iykwim. Xxx

Oh-what happened to my whole post? I wrote loads. :( im on my phone maybe its not playing ball. Sorry. Daisy Grace is 8 months now. She was diagnosed with reflux at 7 weeks but we battled for a ling time and it got the worst its been at around 6 months when she was admitted bk into hospital. Theres a huge thread on it somewhere from april time.

Speach and language are linked to reflux. If brody is struggling to swallow lumps its likely due to the acid. Food aversion is common in babies who have reflux. We tried to get daisy grace to take solids from 4.5months to help with reflux but she point blank refused. Shes only now catching up but still on stage 1. She loves tastes of my foods but cant cope with textures but im told that will come in time. Im just thankful she eats but more importantly she drinks her milk.

Good luck giving the omeprazole tomorrow. What I do with it is half a 10mg tablet as she only gets 5mg , dissolve into 10ml of water and ensure she takes it all. Its not all going to dissolve so spoon the rest in. I give her other medicine straight after to take taste away. Its bloody useless as far as a dissolving medicine goes. I was telling the paeds this last week. But they had no idea. They just thought it would dissolve like solpadol or something similar.

I really hope it helps wee brody :) pm any time xxxx

tapatalking

As you know from FB, Jack doesn't speak due to a partial tongue tie. It'll be interesting to see how Brody and his speech develop once their problems are sorted. Jack's beginning to get frustrated now which i feel terrible about. He's taken to pushing us (not spitefully) in the direction of where he wants us to be. He's brilliant at getting his point across without speech like if he wants to watch TV he gives us the remote!

We're still waiting for a letter to see his surgeon :( I think we'll be waiting a while.

I was told they're not technically behind with their speech until they're 2.5. Jack is 2 in 17 days so time is ticking for him :(

I hope the meds work for Brody x

Layla is 2 in July and had server reflux ended up being tube fed as it got so bad she refused to eat and drink. She doesn't talk and still has reflux and vomits. If you want to talk can add you to face book, my new daughter has server reflux to :( x

omeprazole does come in liqid form for kids x

Thanks my lovely xxxxx *cough* it's Brody. You getting me and the lovely Jayne confuzzled? ;) lol.
That's good to hear it helped you. Xxxxxx

Flipping eck Mrs sorry. I just replied to Jayne about something and I've got the lurgy again so I'm a walking zombie and my brain doesn't work. I feel like a right doofus now *facepalm*

Lol Awwww minge your not a doofus x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Thanks hun. Have they given you any tips on how to help him with learning to talk? Brody doesn't even really make "ah" sounds like ba, da etc. His tongue just goes everywhere iykwim. Xxx

The best advice is to talk to them as much as possible.

Spend a lot of time over emphasising Ba Ba Ba and ga ga ga noises to him. Describe everything you do

Have you considered using baby signing? It's a way of teaching him to communicate and can help develop speech too. Your slt should be able to get you on a course or there are private companies that do it. I've found the singing hands DVDs the best - there's mr tumble too but he fries my head!,

Oh-what happened to my whole post? I wrote loads. :( im on my phone maybe its not playing ball. Sorry. Daisy Grace is 8 months now. She was diagnosed with reflux at 7 weeks but we battled for a ling time and it got the worst its been at around 6 months when she was admitted bk into hospital. Theres a huge thread on it somewhere from april time.

Speach and language are linked to reflux. If brody is struggling to swallow lumps its likely due to the acid. Food aversion is common in babies who have reflux. We tried to get daisy grace to take solids from 4.5months to help with reflux but she point blank refused. Shes only now catching up but still on stage 1. She loves tastes of my foods but cant cope with textures but im told that will come in time. Im just thankful she eats but more importantly she drinks her milk.

Good luck giving the omeprazole tomorrow. What I do with it is half a 10mg tablet as she only gets 5mg , dissolve into 10ml of water and ensure she takes it all. Its not all going to dissolve so spoon the rest in. I give her other medicine straight after to take taste away. Its bloody useless as far as a dissolving medicine goes. I was telling the paeds this last week. But they had no idea. They just thought it would dissolve like solpadol or something similar.

I really hope it helps wee brody :) pm any time xxxx

tapatalking

Thanks so much for your reply. Brody has a bottle of omeprazole so I just gave it to him out of a tube thingy you get with calpol. Seemed to take it ok I'm not sure if its sweet or not. I wonder if you can get it too? It has to be kept in the fridge

I found your post really helpful and reassuring. Thanks, really appreciate it. I hope your lo is better with it soon xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back