Reducing breastfeeds.

Selina13

Reaction score
Hi

My baby is 5 weeks old and although breastfeeding has been quite straightforward for us (unlike first time with DS1), Im wanting to start gradually intriducing formula to enable my mum to look after him so me and husband could go out or I can take my son out and husband can have baby for the day.

I have read online the importance of slowly reducing feeds so your body stops producing milk one feed at a time but im really struggling with this. My boobs get so uncomfortably full just missing 1 feed and using formula and Im starting to wonder how on earth Ill ever be able to stop fully.

I have read advice to express a very small amount off but I dont see that working as my body will still produce the milk thats leaving my body?!

Really confused and allthough Im in no particular rush as such, I ideally want to be stopped BF by time baby is 3mt.

Any advice is much appreciated x

Hi selina, you’re right in saying to express. You do this regularly and just enough to feel comfortable, but as I understand it, the fullness in the breast sends a signal to stop producing milk at that time. And even if it was/is reproducing the milk you just expressed it wouldn’t be the same amount as it would be if baby had just drained it. Does that make sense?! Assuming it’s more convenient for your mum to do formula rather than you sending expressed milk? x

Hi hun thanks for replying. I find that Im only making enough to feed Jude- I have tried to express to save some but I have ended up having to give it to him the same day as my boobs have been empty and he has needed a feed. Not sure if that makes sense?! Xx

Hi, your boobs may feel empty but they won’t be, you keep on producing milk constantly so you can always feed. I’m also thinking of doing a bottle a day so I can do things with daughter or go to the gym; how much formula are you offering? I’m bf every couple of hours so I’m assuming he won’t have much formula in one go as he’s used to snacking!

Hi, your boobs may feel empty but they won’t be, you keep on producing milk constantly so you can always feed. I’m also thinking of doing a bottle a day so I can do things with daughter or go to the gym; how much formula are you offering? I’m bf every couple of hours so I’m assuming he won’t have much formula in one go as he’s used to snacking!

Hi hun, my baby is now 7 weeks on Thur so offering 5oz bottle but he has 3oz then the other 2oz 30 mins later- as you say snacking! X

It is ideal to bf for 8 weeks to let your supply establish before pumping I was told by the feeding consultant at the hospital. The empty feeling is normal, means supply is settling for you, there will still be milk there don't worry.

Look up paced feeding rather than offering large bottles.

My breast fed baby refused all bottles, he is 10 months now and has started taking a sippy cup the last week. He is the only baby I know who has been like this though, all his little friends are on bottles no problems. I don't mind too much, it is only a short time he needs milk like this ans I have been able to pop out for a couple of hours without him having anything/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back