Reduced kicks but still feeling movements??

Summergurl

Reaction score
So last night & today I've not had many kicks that j can easily feel, however, I can defo feel movement when I put my hands/arms on my bump, I can feel baby moving around.

Should I be worried?

The no kicks are a little out of character for my baby, I've been used to lots of strong kicks.

Lately I have the same.. More large movements where belly literally sticks out! But kicks are reduced.

Its because baby is getting bigger and cant kick as easily or can just be she is in a weird positions. As long as you feel the baby I wouldn't be worried but call your midwife for reassurance if you need. I find that calms me a lot xx

All midwives say to contact them if you have any issues with reduced movement. It's better to be safe than sorry!

I'm 33+6 and had this problem on Wednesday. I've had a very active boy throughout my whole pregnancy and the obvious things such as cold drinks, sweet things and getting in the bath make him even more hyperactive.
I felt reduced movements upon waking on Weds morning so tried 3 cold drinks with ice, a glass of orange juice and an hour in the bath! Still nothing. I'd worked myself into a bit of a state by this point so called my midwife.
She scheduled me an appt at ADU that afternoon (by which time baby had started moving again). The staff were lovely and pointed out that this happens often and it's always best to be checked over because you're the only one who knows your babies movements. Even though i'd reported him moving around, because of the reduced movements in the morning they wanted to check me over. I got hooked up to the machine and they checked babies heartbeat and movements, all was perfect thank goodness!

Hope this reassures you. Oh and it even says on my midwives answer machine to call straight through to the ward if you have any queries about reduced movements! I'd give them a ring if I were you, just for peace of mind.
I know I feel much more confident now. I know I wouldn't have been able to sleep If I hadn't!

I've noticed this for the past week or so too. I can still feel baby but kicks aren't as strong. I think its where baby is bigger and I can feel more rolls and nudges instead of kicks now.

If your concerned contact the midwife, at least for peace of mind xx

Last edited:
I've felt this way too, I think it's when baby has less space to move so you feel less kicks and more wriggles! Definitely call your midwife if you're concerned though better to have the reassurance than leave it and feel anxious xxx

Kicks count has lots of useful information on monitoring movements.

They advise that babies don't run out of space or go quiet before Labour, it's a myth.

Your babies pattern of movement shouldn't change and any differences you notice should be checked out.

A reduction or change in movement can be the first sign that your baby is unwell.

Of course it could be something as simple as the position baby is in, but you won't know that for certain unless you go in for monitoring.

XX

They advise that babies don't run out of space or go quiet before Labour, it's a myth.

Your babies pattern of movement shouldn't change and any differences you notice should be checked out.

A reduction or change in movement can be the first sign that your baby is unwell.

Of course it could be something as simple as the position baby is in, but you won't know that for certain unless you go in for monitoring.

XX

Is it really a myth? Why has my mw told me when baby gets larger movements will be a little different like pushing and turning ( still there though perhaps similar times a day ) every time i have asked? Confused since we seem to be many here with similar patterns? Always good to get checked of course xx

Hey if your ever worried please call the hospital. They are there to help and reassure you. Iv been in 5 times with reduced movements and each time they have been fine and said I did the right thing. As baby gets bigger the movement shouldn't less or stop but it changes, you get more rolls and not many kicks. Iv also experienced her moving but I can't feel it or not much. However I can see my belly moving or feel it on the outside only. I'm sure she is ok but please do call them if your worried. It's not worth the risk x

XX

Is it really a myth? Why has my mw told me when baby gets larger movements will be a little different like pushing and turning ( still there though perhaps similar times a day ) every time i have asked? Confused since we seem to be many here with similar patterns? Always good to get checked of course xx

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

It's a myth that movements slow down or stop due to a lack of room. Your baby should develop a pattern of movement (there is no set number of movements anymore) and they should maintain this pattern. Any change or reduction in movements, you should contact your mw as it may be necessary to go for monitoring.

Hopefully that makes more sense?

:)

XX

My midwife told me the same - the frequency of movement should stay the same through pregnancy but the manner of movement is likely to change as things get more cosy in there. I call it the 'alien' stage, because most movement I get now seems like my little one is doing his level best to break out of my belly.

The best guide is your feelings. You know your baby best. If you're worried - always always call and get it checked out. You have nothing to lose by doing that.

From personal experience if you feel the pattern of your baby's movements have changed and you feel anxious about it, get checked. It saved my baby's life.x

Baby started moving again this evening. I just feel like I'm still so early on to be worrying about movements.
Baby is exactly like blue class has said, more rolls rather than kicks and not as easily felt I've got to put my hand there to feel them. Almost like I'm used to it now. It's just baby usually moves a lot in the mornings when at work but today next to nothing.

Last edited:
It could be she is at that change point but still if your worried get it checked. One poor woman on here didn't get there in time and lost her baby at 36 weeks. I'm not trying to scare you its just very important to check if your concerned x

I had this problem on sunday so I went in to be monitored, just in case. Luckily it was all okay, and he wriggles around like normal now. But if you are worried, you MUST phone up and go in for monitoring. I really was worried because I didn't feel one thing all of sunday morning and early afternoon so I panicked slightly, but luckily it was all okay.

I am glad to hear that you can feel baby more now, if you decide not to get checked out just keep a closer eye on it love xx

Morning lovelies. Thanks for all your replies. I did phone the ward last night who said to go up so I went up and got monitored. All was ok. This morning, baby is back to its usual self of being awake & kicking. Must've just fancied a lazy day! Xxx

That's good, glad you got checked. Iv been up 5 times lol but I don't care it's my babys health at the end of the day x

XX

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

It's a myth that movements slow down or stop due to a lack of room. Your baby should develop a pattern of movement (there is no set number of movements anymore) and they should maintain this pattern. Any change or reduction in movements, you should contact your mw as it may be necessary to go for monitoring.

Hopefully that makes more sense?

:)

XX

Sorry i misunderstood you. Makes perfect sense! :)

My baby has no pattern whatsoever and never really understand how I can meassure this since its just random movements throughout the day so that must be her style :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back