Red Bleeding and sex question?!?

Emma.b

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

This post is gonna have a little TMI so i'll apologise in advance, sorry :lol:.

I had my little boy 10 days ago via vaginal birth, only suffered minor cut and graze on labia which has healed nicely.

Since giving birth my bleeding has gone from red medium flow to dark brown flow and it even started tapering off to a light period flow. However today its turned back red! Still only a light flow but red. I thought it was meant to turn brown then slowly taper of to nothing? So how come mine is red again? Surely it's far to early for my first period? Also its a very gooey texture, almost bloody egg white.

I'm at the midwives tomorrow for my 10 day check, so i'll ask her then, but just wondered if any of you ladies had had the same happen to you?

Also how soon can you have sex? When i was pregnant my sex drive took a huge plummet but has since returned with vengeance! I am so ready to jump on my partner! :)

x x x

Have you been more physically active recently? Walking more or doing housework etc? This can cause your bleeding to return, your body's way of saying take it easy for a bit longer. How are you feeding? I breastfed and found for a few weeks after I'd get small "gushes" (sorry!) when feeding her, I think it's to do with the uterus contracting to get back to normal.

My bleeding tailed off a little after 2 weeks, but a heavy flow returned after 3 weeks - I think I was doing too much though to be honest. It finally stopped at about 4.5 weeks and hasn't returned as yet. I have heard from other ladies on here though, that their bleeding stopped for quite a few days and suddenly returned.

A MW at the hospital told me to avoid sex completely until the bleeding had stopped and I hadn't bled for at least 3 days, as you run the risk of developing a very serious infection, possibly fatal! I don't know how true that is, but that's what DH and I were told when I was discharged xx

Hey ladies,

Also how soon can you have sex? When i was pregnant my sex drive took a huge plummet but has since returned with vengeance! I am so ready to jump on my partner! :)

x x x

Glad I'm not the only one, lol. I couldn't wait to have sex. I thought you were supposed to have no sex drive after birth but my hormones seem to have sent it crazy. I was thinking about it within a week but we did wait 2 weeks. Advice varies a lot, some will say to wait until after your 6 week check but IMO there is no need if you feel ready. It's probably wise to wait until any red bleeding stops though.

Last edited:
It finally stopped at about 4.5 weeks and hasn't returned as yet. I have heard from other ladies on here though, that their bleeding stopped for quite a few days and suddenly returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back